The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

Whilst you are being so helpful, why not show the averages from 1975 to 1988 as well? I think we all know that Leeds were getting around 6k for a large portion of that period and this only started increasing towards the back end of the 80s with continued success

Why not show the averages back to 1947 you may find the gap between Leeds and Fev crowds even bigger than today.

OR alternatively just pick the biggest ever Featherstone crowd of 17,531

Then pick the smallest ever Leeds crowd, maybe 3,000 for Workington in the cup a few years back.

And there you have it, Featherstone Rovers in Superleague on their ability to outdo Leeds crowds wise. Leigh once got 31,000 for a game.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the Big 6 will allow it to happen? They could have turned London into a success story by letting them have bigger slice of the Sky money and a bigger salary cap. New clubs outside the heartlands will never be a success, unless they can compete at the very top and win trophies. If that happens, some clubs in the current Top 6 will fall away and we'll be back where we started; an elite group and the rest making up the numbers.

Interesting post Steve,

I think the salary cap was introduced to try to stop the top clubs eating the bottom clubs in SL but as Salford, London and Wakeys bones were picked clean recently it didn't work.

The top clubs want to remain so but also want Superleague to flourish as they are in it. What comes first is themselves and you can't blame them for that.Gary Hetherington gave a nod to the need for other clubs to win trphies rather than Leeds after they won SL for an umpteenth time the other year.

The first thing they have done is cut to 12 for Superleague to try to raise the competitiveness, but dumping two carcasses they picked clean would hardly put much more meat on the bones for the rest of them, but as we have now seen they smelt a bigger SKY deal in the offing.

That deal may help to enable 12 clubs to all pay full cap, so poor Marwan is stuffed in this communist league. Equal misery for all.

However the top clubs have the academies that work, and the lure of trophies and associated glory that means players do not always accept the biggest deal if that means having to work hard to rescue clubs from the drop.

Your analysis is the reason why I see the only possible way out is to go for a ten club superleague as a number of esteemed commentators have suggested. At that level there's a chance more clubs can grow and reach the same ceiling unless it's pitched higher again.

But growth remains hampered by clubs desire? or lack of bottle? in terms of making the obvious radical choices to organise themselves such that they can take on the Leeds, Wires and Saints. As I've outlined many times there's the fans, players and money to have strong clubs in Hull, Calder and Bradford way but these places don't work together to achieve this, they are divided and they are therefore regularly conquered.

its getting a bit silly now, FEV will never again be as big as Leeds crowd wise unless Leeds shut the doors.

The key is to get 12 big clubs, but to do that you need 20 clubs as the lower echelons of the 12 must be challenged from below to maintain a competitive 12 and remove the fatality of p&r.

I was hopeful the funding could provide for at least 6 FT clubs in the second tier from 2015, and that in 3 years we would have a two tens structure of FT clubs incl 2 more French

We didn't get the funding but we have a chink of light in so far as the top 2 in this years championship will receive funding to move to a FT structure for 2015, the problem being you will then have 4 FT clubs from 12 unless a money man comes in at other clubs, and 4 places to play for to get in with a shout of promotion. It will be tough but better than the nothing we have had.

For the life of me I cannot understand how this new deal is being carved up financially to equate to £200m though :help:

parksider saying fev should be judged on crowds in the coming weeks when the last I knew we were still in the championship and you can't really compare our crowds to super league

Ah right - gotcha.

You mean "Why ? Are Fev starting the season in Superleague ?", as opposed to "Why are Fev starting the season in $uperleague ?"

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

parksider saying fev should be judged on crowds in the coming weeks when the last I knew we were still in the championship and you can't really compare our crowds to super league

You make the assumption the judgement should be Fev's CC crowds against SL crowds. It's a wrong assumption Daz.

In general we have been told that the new structure which brings back P & R will excite fans, so I'll be watching for all this excitement in the coming weeks and see if the prospect of relegation pushes up crowds at Wakefield above last years 7,973 or crowds at London go above last years 2,200.

Same in CC - will Sheffield Leigh and Halifax beat 928, 1,566 and 1,707 as these clubs strengthen for their promotion charge and look for the prize money to assist them to do so.

Terry was looking for Rovers to strengthen crowds which rose from 2,060 in 2012 to 2,403 to another rise this year. So 2,403 is the figure to beat.

It's worth noting Widnes went up on 3,744 crowds and achieved 6,046 and 6,015 2012 and 2013. Those are real world figures so Rovers have their work cut out to get their crowds up whether next season or whether on promotion I hope they can achieve.

Im a bit cofused with all the funding amounts being bandied about at present.Have all the figures been decided and if so for how long?

Also I understand that the SL clubs have just had a one off payment of £300K.Is this correct?

No, they're to be ratified next Friday, apparently.

Valid until they next change their minds.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

You make the assumption the judgement should be Fev's CC crowds against SL crowds. It's a wrong assumption Daz.

In general we have been told that the new structure which brings back P & R will excite fans, so I'll be watching for all this excitement in the coming weeks and see if the prospect of relegation pushes up crowds at Wakefield above last years 7,973 or crowds at London go above last years 2,200.

Same in CC - will Sheffield Leigh and Halifax beat 928, 1,566 and 1,707 as these clubs strengthen for their promotion charge and look for the prize money to assist them to do so.

Terry was looking for Rovers to strengthen crowds which rose from 2,060 in 2012 to 2,403 to another rise this year. So 2,403 is the figure to beat.

It's worth noting Widnes went up on 3,744 crowds and achieved 6,046 and 6,015 2012 and 2013. Those are real world figures so Rovers have their work cut out to get their crowds up whether next season or whether on promotion I hope they can achieve.

apologies for my assumption, I do think that fevs crowds will rise again this season although I think next year will be a better year when promotion is in force.

Don't expect wakefields to be increasing especially when they are capped at around 5000 due to safety regulations

apologies for my assumption, I do think that fevs crowds will rise again this season although I think next year will be a better year when promotion is in force.

Don't expect wakefields to be increasing especially when they are capped at around 5000 due to safety regulations

or because they are charging proper prices for ST's

What Parky fails to grasp is that crowds can be manipulated very easily, eg stupidly cheap recent ST's at Bulls and Wakey springs to mind.

looking at the press releases over the relegation of 5 teams in the championship leaving 9 teams joining the 2 relegated SL teams,

leaving 11 teams, does this leave the 12 spot for tolouse ?

Isn't there a team promoted from championship 1

Oh dear, you have Ponte holding your coat again!!

Here we go.....

Bradford £220

Wakefield £205

Leigh £160

Fev £159

Whose "cheap" again???

Two SL teams who have learned the folly of manipulating attendances via cheap season tickets and have now raised them again versus two Championship teams.

Doesn't seem like a fair comparison.

Two SL teams who have learned the folly of manipulating attendances via cheap season tickets and have now raised them again versus two Championship teams.Doesn't seem like a fair comparison.

Wakefield's were as low as £125 a couple of seasons ago which was a good bit cheaper than Fev's

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House

Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.picturehouseweddingfilms.co.uk/

Wakefield's were as low as £125 a couple of seasons ago which was a good bit cheaper than Fev's

Keep it going Terry 231 pages now.

Keep skirting around the problem

Not enough fans to run competitive SL clubs at any more than seven or eight clubs.

But worry not Mr. K suggests even Doncaster can become SL on 700 fans??

Perhaps in light of this cheap/dear season ticket thing maybe the way to get the funds in at Fev is to double the intended season ticket prices once your are in Superleague. At Donny the 700 could be asked to pay 15 times more for tickets so the revenue would equate to 10,500 fans?

Craiq has already told us financing at LSV will need only 5,000 fans to compete with the big boys. Money problems over all around the Championship SL wannabees,

But what about players? Here's Steve Gill CEO Castleford on the SKY deal.....

"There are fewer kids playing Rugby League in our area than ever"

He wants to get down to Doncaster where in about 12 years they have produced about one Superleague class professional in Ian Kirke.

I know that those who champion small clubs to be big clubs have to have extreme arguments to do so but come on. To try to make out all Donny have to do is raise ticket prices x15 and find 24 more Ian Kirke's is fantasy RL.

Which I suppose is a bit of fun. See ya on page 232.

Edited by The Parksider

featherstones season tickets range from £159 to £219, could you clarify how much it is for under 12's at Bradford?

Why not look at the Bradford website? What has this got to do with a thread called League Re-structure? No wonder it is 231 pages. Some people on here could start an argument in an empty room.

Edited by Scubby

Why not look at the Bradford website? What has this got to do with a thread called League Re-structure? No wonder it is 231 pages. Some people on here could start an argument in an empty room.

probably the same as the last 100 pages on this thread nothing. And they are free by the way if you wish to know

Keep it going Terry 231 pages now.

Keep skirting around the problem

Not enough fans to run competitive SL clubs at any more than seven or eight clubs.

But worry not Mr. K suggests even Doncaster can become SL on 700 fans??

Perhaps in light of this cheap/dear season ticket thing maybe the way to get the funds in at Fev is to double the intended season ticket prices once your are in Superleague. At Donny the 700 could be asked to pay 15 times more for tickets so the revenue would equate to 10,500 fans?

Craiq has already told us financing at LSV will need only 5,000 fans to compete with the big boys. Money problems over all around the Championship SL wannabees,

But what about players? Here's Steve Gill CEO Castleford on the SKY deal.....

"There are fewer kids playing Rugby League in our area than ever"

He wants to get down to Doncaster where in about 12 years they have produced about one Superleague class professional in Ian Kirke.

I know that those who champion small clubs to be big clubs have to have extreme arguments to do so but come on. To try to make out all Donny have to do is raise ticket prices x15 and find 24 more Ian Kirke's is fantasy RL.

Which I suppose is a bit of fun. See ya on page 232.

Just making the point that Wakey and Bradford are victims of their own pricing folly and could now suffer the consequences of it under the restructuring. I've actually no idea whether Donny could make it as a SL club or not. If we've only enough fans for seven or eight competitive SL clubs then perhaps the RFL might have discovered a way to attract more interest. Shall we wait and see?

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House

Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.picturehouseweddingfilms.co.uk/