20/07/13 - Northern Rail Bowl Final: London Skolars v North Wales Crusaders KO 2.30pm (Premier Sports)

Who will win the Northern Rail Bowl final?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Northern Rail Bowl final?

• London Skolars by 13 points or more
    • London Skolars by 7-12 points
    • London Skolars by 1-6 points
    • North Wales Crusaders by 1-6 points
    • North Wales Crusaders by 7-12 points
    • North Wales Crusaders by 13 points or more

Stand-off Andy Moulsdale says that he is looking forward to the prospect of leading North Wales Crusaders out on to the field as captain in their first ever final against London Skolars this weekend.

Click here to view the article

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @leagueexpress and TikTok @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

will be there to cheer on the cru......................and leigh

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

North Wales Crusaders second rower Toby Adamson feels that Crusaders fans can play a vital role in the Bowl final against London Skolars.
The 23-year-old joined Crusaders during the 2012 campaign, after quitting Super League side Salford City Reds to complete a law degree, and Saturday will be his first final appearance.
"The fans are the 18th man", he said. "Hopefully they'll make sure they're really loud, as we all know they will be, and that will help us.
"It's the first final that Crusaders have been in and it should be awesome. It will be a big day for both the players and the fans.
"It's televised and there'll be a massive crowd, so I'll probably be a bit nervous on the day, but as long as you use them in the right way then nerves can be good."
Adamson is also fully aware of the threat that Skolars pose and isn't looking into previous encounters between the sides.
He said: "We've played them in the Northern Rail Cup already, but it'll be a completely different team to what we played before form wise.
"It'll be really tough and we can't take anything for granted. If we focus on us then we'll do the job."
And the Leigh East product is pleased with the club's progress so far in 2013 - with the final appearance highlighting that progress.
"When I joined I didn't really expect in the second year for us to be in a final and pushing for promotion to the Championship", Adamson said.
"I knew that the club were ambitious but I didn't expect us to really be in this position. But it's a credit to the club for what we've achieved both on and off the field.
"I'm really happy on a personal level too. I had a back injury at the start of the year, which kept me out for three or four weeks, but I've managed to get some good form since then."

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone

London Skolars will make history when they face North Wales Crusaders in the Northern Rail Bowl at The Shay Stadium on Saturday July 20 (2.30).

This will be the first ever final for the club who were founded as an Old Boys Student Rugby League team in 1995 and have been semi-professional since 2003.

However, head coach Joe Mbu insists they are not getting carried away.

I think its first come first served. They will try to put certain sides in certain stands but they won't leave tickets unsold if they can help it. I'm buying mine on the day.

Thanks for that. I had hoped to attend but playing on the same day. Have a great day out!

I wonder which player will miss out on the Final for Skolars so they can bring Mike Bishay in who played all the Northern rail Cuppool games for Hemel Stags an actually played against Skolars in the Northern Rail Cup.

And has also played for Skolars in the Northern Rail Cup.

Stuart Reardon knows all about playing in finals. The former Bradford winger turned in a man-of-the-match performance for the Bulls in the 2003 Super League Grand Final to win  the Harry Sunderland Trophy and just last year helped French club Carcassonne to a Cup and Grand Final double.
Reardon says it will give him as much pleasure to help North Wales Crusaders win their first piece of silverware against London Skolars in the Northern Rail Bowl final at Halifax next Saturday.
“Every final, big or small, it’s the same. It wouldn’t matter to me if it were amateur,” he said. “Everyone plays sport to win, there’s that winning mentality. It would be awesome to win it with Crusaders.
“The fans will be excited; they’re not used to being in finals. It will be nice to get them some silverware after what happened with the Super League club a few years ago.”
Reardon was with the Crusaders when they were a Super League outfit in 2011 and returned to the newly-reformed club for the 2013 campaign.
“Our coach Clive (Griffiths) has been really good and some of the staff that were there when it was a Super League club are still there now. A lot of the lads came from the amateur game or were ex-Academy or from other teams and I’ve been really enjoying it since I came back from France.”
The Crusaders sit in second place of the Kingstone Press Championship One table with just one defeat. But even that surprise loss to Hemel Stags a month ago, Reardon sees as a positive.  “Sometimes a loss can do you good. We were beating sides quite convincingly and you can get a bit carried away. So we know what it feels like to be down and not always on the up.”
The Crusaders appear to have a fully fit squad with Christiaan Roets and Jonny Walker both back from injuries. Due to the way the fixtures have fallen they haven’t had a match since the 48-0 thrashing of Rochdale Hornets on June 30 so could this long lay-off without any match action affect them in the final?
“We’ve been training really hard and got a good conditioner,” says Reardon. “I would have thought it would benefit us. We’ve rested up rather than getting knocks and bangs every week.
“We’ve been playing really well; we’re a strong side so we’ll be going into the game with confidence. Everyone is really excited to be in the final, we’re looking forward to it.”

North Wales Crusaders chief executive Jamie Thomas has spoken about his pride in the club's achievements so far in its short history.
Thomas has always had big ambitions for club since its formation in late 2011 - but even he has been a little bit stunned by how swiftly things have moved on.
"It's bordering on ridiculous how far we've managed to come in such a short space of time", he said.
"I'm incredibly proud of how far we've got in such a short space of time and I think it comes down to the absolute commitment of everyone involved in trying to make the club work.
"Everyone has over delivered from how hard Clive works, the effort that the boys put in, the staff, the volunteers and the fans.
"They've gone way beyond my expectations and the success that we're achieving now is testiment to that hard work.
"As we sit here now we haven't won anything. It's all to play for but to even have got ourselves in this position, where we can shoot for these honours, is a remarkable achievement in itself.
"I never envisaged we'd be in a cup final and gunning for a league title within our first 18 months."
Crusaders supporters have been vital in getting the club off the ground, and will continue to be the main driving force in the future, but Thomas also believes that the club have dropped lucky with the group out on the field.
"In my eyes greatest credit needs to go to Clive Griffiths" he continued. "He undoubtedly is one of the biggest pain in the asses I've ever had the pleasure of working with.
"But that comes from the standards and absolute determination to succeed, and Clive's refusal to accept anything below 100-per-cent effort has been one of the core principals that we've built the club on.
"We've also been fortunate to have pulled together an incredible crop of players last year - mainly from the amateur ranks - and we've been able to add a little bit of extra experience to that, which has helped us to step up tot he next level."
And although Thomas would love to see the players lift some silverware come Saturday afternoon, he is looking at the bigger picture beyond the final.
"We've got a massive six weeks ahead of us", he explained. "But it's a period that everyone at the club is focused on.
"Saturday's a big game but every game after that is also a big game for us.
"In my eyes I don't think it's essential to win every fixture because we've given ourselves a small amount of breathing space with our performances so far, so the pressure is definitely on the chasing pack as if they slip up just once, they'll probably have to be resigned to the play-offs.
"But we're taking nothing for granted and I know that Clive will prepare the boys as stediously as he has done all season.
"With the restructural review of the leagues going forward we want to give ourselves the best opportunities - and I firmly believe gaining promotion this year would build on the fantastic momentum that we've already achieved.
"It will provide us with a brilliant platform to build on for the future. It genuinely is really exciting times for us right now."
Tickets are still available through the club; call 08432 896 407 or pop into the office.

I'm really pleased for Clive Griffiths. He always did such a great job with Wales, often bringing success with a disparate and unfancied group of players. I thought he deserved a shot at the GB job at one time but the RFL gave it to David Waite.

That said, I've got to shout for the Skolars.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

crusaders by 20, no doubt the fans will turn out in large numbers, if they can take over 100 to thatto heath then i am sure the final will be a wall of noise from them.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

London Skolars will make history when they face North Wales Crusaders in the Northern Rail Bowl at The Shay Stadium on Saturday July 20 (2.30).

This will be the first ever final for the club who were founded as an Old Boys Student Rugby League team in 1995 and have been semi-professional since 2003.

However, head coach Joe Mbu insists they are not getting carried away.

its not skolars first final since 1995. they have been in loads. 

PREVIEW

North Wales Crusaders v London Skolars (2.30pm – Premier Sports)

North Wales Crusaders coach Clive Griffiths admits he might not be able to stop the tears if the Crusaders can win Saturday’s Northern Rail Bowl.
Griffiths said: “I was pretty emotional when we qualified for the final, but I’ll have to be sponsored by Kleenex if we actually win it.”
He added: “One of my favourite sayings is that the ‘work in progress’ signs are still around the ground and training ground, but we’ve made terrific progress.
“From a blank sheet of paper in December 2011 to where we are now 18 months later is Roy of the Rovers stuff.”
Crusaders will start as favourites in their first major final, but London Skolars coach Joe Mbu remains quietly confident after a four-match winning streak.
Mbu said: “For the players and everyone involved, we’re just looking forward to enjoying the day and making the most of it. We want to be 100 per cent in terms of our preparation.”
The Skolars are at full strength for Saturday’s match, while Toby Adamson (ankle) is Crusaders’ only doubt.

How many tickets have been allocated to each team?

Not sure of ticket allocation,  but Crusaders have reported sales of over 300 tickets.  We have 3 supporters Club coaches running.  The Turf is opening for pre-travel breakfasts.  Come what may the Crusaders support will be loud, lively and fantastic fun and we will support our team to hopefully a well deserved win for Clive Griffiths and John Fieldhouse. Look out for hats, scarves, replica shirts, kilts and of course - half time beach balls.  Cru Cru CRUSADERS