Tetley’s Challenge Cup semi-final details confirmed

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The general pattern for weekend sport on the BBC is BBC1 on Saturdays and BBC2 on Sundays. BBC1 is only used for sport on Sundays when there's more than one sporting event running concurrently. 

The main exception is Formula 1 and is probably part of the broadcast deal. The weekend of the CC semifinals also sees the BBC televising World Championship Swimming and the Anniversary Games.

Yep - when we moved to two games on the BBC we usually had a 'main' game on Saturday BBC 1 with the second game on Sunday on BBC2. We now appear to have lost the BBC1 slot apart from the Final.

London were less of a basket-case of a club when the same thing happened in 1999.  This is how the RFL always seem to work and it's depressing to see it in action again.

There are any number of LSV-sized venues which would have been actually neutral and better for access.

Doncaster

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Yep - when we moved to two games on the BBC we usually had a 'main' game on Saturday BBC 1 with the second game on Sunday on BBC2. We now appear to have lost the BBC1 slot apart from the Final.

Last Saturday, there was a schedule clash with the Athletics, so RL would have had to have been on BBC2 anyway.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Same issue. NEUTRAL venue?

Neutral venue in the context of the cup competition simply means not at the home ground of one of the participant clubs. There is nothing to say the venue must be equidistant from both.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Really not sure why there is so much drama over being on one of the most watched TV channels in the UK, right before one of the most watched TV programmes in the UK.

Everybody has an EPG on their TV these days, and BBC2 is on page 1 of all of them.

Of course, if it was also on during prime time, everybody would be moaning about the late kick off...

For London fans in groups it isnt so bad - Leigh is only a 20min taxi journey from Wigan NW or 30mins from Manchester Piccadilly. I think the train is only 2 hours these days.

A direct link would make like so much easier for any London fans wanting to make the journey.

Neutral venue in the context of the cup competition simply means not at the home ground of one of the participant clubs. There is nothing to say the venue must be equidistant from both.

I think most of us know that. It's more about making it fair for both sets of fans.......

I think most of us know that. It's more about making it fair for both sets of fans.......

The sport is strapped for cash, it is entirely the correct approach to go with whatever makes the most commercial sense. Fairness to fans doesn't and shouldn't come into it.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

The sport is strapped for cash, it is entirely the correct approach to go with whatever makes the most commercial sense. Fairness to fans doesn't and shouldn't come into it.

Can I quote you on that during the next P&R debate?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

This game wont get any more at Leigh than at sonewhere neutral like Oxford, MK etc.

There could have been a few thousand London fans coming out of the woodwork for this if it was somewhere in between. Sadly this is likely to reduce the London contingent to a few hundred

We should probably scrap the neutral venue ideal, since the RFL manage to make a complete hash of it each time.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

For London fans in groups it isnt so bad - Leigh is only a 20min taxi journey from Wigan NW or 30mins from Manchester Piccadilly. I think the train is only 2 hours these days.

According to National Rail Enquiries, it is going to cost over £100 to get from here (South Essex) to Wigan on a day return. No idea what it will cost getting from Wigan to Leigh. Then have to get back to Wigan for last direct train at 8:15. No idea how manageable that is.

Fortunately looking  at Google it costs about £2.48 petrol to get there from Wigan or a massive £3.28 from Widnes.

Lets wait for the RFL to respond to their clients....us the fans....with a rational explanation of the choice of venue.

To choose a small capacity stadium shows a real lack of imagination. Already forum members are excusing the fans of the bigger clubs who fail to turn up for a Challenge Cup semi final.

If we are to put the game on a solid financial footing games like this offer a great marketing opportunity. David v Goliath, challenge the neutrals in Yorkshire to adopt the Broncos as honorary Yorkshire and play the game at Leeds or the KC.

We all understand a neutral ground will not be equidistant but ...in the borough of Wigan? Why do they have to announce the venue this morning? Wait 12 hours and we would have known both teams and could have discussed venues in that knowledge.

As a supporter of the Cats and Broncos in the absence of HKR I have attended every semi and finals involving these teams but not this time ( travelling from South Wales. ) With my family that's another 4-6 missing in the crowd.

How big does a team need to be before it should be allowed a proper neutral venue its supporters can get to?

If London were playing Salford, I'd say meet half way. They're not though. Maximising the revenue is the RFL's main aim, that means making sure 000's of Wigan fans turn out.

the nearest station to the LSV is newton le willows, which is only about 4 miles from the ground.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

According to National Rail Enquiries, it is going to cost over £100 to get from here (South Essex) to Wigan on a day return. No idea what it will cost getting from Wigan to Leigh. Then have to get back to Wigan for last direct train at 8:15. No idea how manageable that is.

Fortunately looking  at Google it costs about £2.48 petrol to get there from Wigan or a massive £3.28 from Widnes.

Go to your station and ask. I wanted to travel from Leeds to Salisbury the other week. I looked on Trainline - £65 ew. Went to City Station, Leeds - £113 for the entire journey -£17 saving.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

the nearest station to the LSV is newton le willows, which is only about 4 miles from the ground.

Is that the nearest on a route from London? The actual closest is Atherton

From Hudds I always do Transpennine to Piccadilly Manc, then catch an express bus , personally prefer it to going via Atherton and Manc Victoria - faster cleaner trains and shorter time, even with bus travel

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Just a thought, but I would imagine that the SF played at the Stoop would have got a bigger crowd than LSV? 8k in the capital for a London team playing to get to Wembley - now that would have been bonkers. Would have been a 50/50 crowd split and great atmosphere. LSV is in Wigan borough FFS and impossible to get to.

Why would Wigan care as it was a SF against the bottom club in SL anyway. One day we will actually think of what's better for the game as a whole - maybe to try and increase our spread/profile/sponsorship potential (delete as appropriate) at a club that is struggling to survive.