Tetley’s Challenge Cup semi-final details confirmed

Thats one thing that always amazes me about rugby fans, the culture in football seems to be one of willingness to travel and genuine excitment about visiting a "new ground" so if you'd put it on in the Midlands it'd be seen as a day out, were as in our sport it seems more of a chore.  Not sure I get it or ever will.

On the flip side, putting my football hat on for a second and just for the record I never once moaned about Millwall having a home tie in the FA Cup Semi Final!!!  :tongue:

Does that not sort of depend where it is? I mean, I fear for our london compatriots having to come to bloody Leigh of all places? Same goes for the midlands. Would you be THAT excited for a day to Coventry?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that not sort of depend where it is? I mean, I fear for our london compatriots having to come to bloody Leigh of all places? Same goes for the midlands. Would you be THAT excited for a day to Coventry?

Not sure I can answer that with out first adding into the mix that last season I took in a Wigan Robin Park, FA Vase game away to Bedlington Terriors and ended up staying overnight in Morpeth (highly recommended) before heading down to Middlesbrough on the Sunday for a Middlesbrough v Manchester National League Futsal game.

Coventry would be a decent trip, never been.............................!!!

Not sure I can answer that with out first adding into the mix that last season I took in a Wigan Robin Park, FA Vase game away to Bedlington Terriors and ended up staying overnight in Morpeth (highly recommended) before heading down to Middlesbrough on the Sunday for a Middlesbrough v Manchester National League Futsal game.

Coventry would be a decent trip, never been.............................!!!

Fair enough, but not everyone is as mad as you!

Re The Warrington v Hull fixture. 6pm? That's a silly idea. Some of the numpty fans of each club who crawl out of the woodwork for big games now have an all day drinking session before all arriving at the ground at roughly the same time all the worse for drink. Trouble brewing with a very big capital "T" in my opinion.

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

While I find the choice of venues and kick off times very disappointing, we really shouldn't be surprised. A quick glance through my collection of Rothmans shows that there's been plenty of times this has happened:

1986 Hull KR v Leeds (plus replay) CC semi - played at Elland Road

1989 Leeds v Cas Yorks Cup Final- played at Elland Road

1984 Saints v Wigan Lancs Cup Final - played at Wigan

1982 Wigan v Leeds John Player Final - played at Elland Road

I guess it shows that even after the SuperLeague revolution, the concept of "neutral" is pretty arbitrary at the RFL. Feel sorry for London having to travel to Leigh and equally quite miffed that my lot don't kick off till 6 on the Sunday. Main concern with the latter is that it potentially inviting some people to get absolutely hammered before the game.

The 84 lancs cup final was originally to be played at wilderspool but both finalists objected saying the capacity was to small, so a coin was tossed to decide the venue. It didn't affect saints on the day who inspired by Mal Meninga won 26-18 in front of about 24,000 fans,so both clubs were right to object to wilderspool i suppose.

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

Yes,and i've seen plenty of drunks at those games too!

Re The Warrington v Hull fixture. 6pm? That's a silly idea. Some of the numpty fans of each club who crawl out of the woodwork for big games now have an all day drinking session before all arriving at the ground at roughly the same time all the worse for drink. Trouble brewing with a very big capital "T" in my opinion.

I felt exactly the same when I heard the kick off time. Hope I'm wrong because both sets of supporters have the capacity to generate a massive amount of noise and a fantastic atmosphere for a great game.

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

The 84 lancs cup final was originally to be played at wilderspool but both finalists objected saying the capacity was to small, so a coin was tossed to decide the venue. It didn't affect saints on the day who inspired by Mal Meninga won 26-18 in front of about 24,000 fans,so both clubs were right to object to wilderspool i suppose.

Ah. Didn't realise that.  But I was in Gods Own Country at the time!

Edited by Gerri Monside

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

I must admit, I have missed two grand finals since 2001, but I have never seen a kick off. But in any case, I don't think what you describe is trouble with a capital T...

Do you get in cheap at half time?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I think if i was a Wigan fan i would be hard pressed to get excited about this one. I wonder where they would have played Catalans v London???!!

I wish the RFL had the money to take this fixture to a half way venue (such as say Coventry) but it probably just doesn't have the money to justify the spend for a one off event. Bit depressing but i'm sure the final will make up for it.

Using the same thought process that came to the LSV solution - both sets of supporters would have been fully considered and the game would have been held outside the traditional heartlands - welcome to Doncaster

It's at times like this when the people who run our game really let themselves down. This is why most of us lack confidence in them.

Get out of the office and explain why:

1. They've chosen a venue that is not big enough (it would have to be a fantastic explanation by the way)

2. It's 10 minutes from Wigan and 5 hours from London & has awful travel links. This would have been a chance to give London some tangible (and low cost) support and have it at Doncaster.

It's a total disgrace and it kicks every London fan in the teeth. Has anyone got the decency to stand up and explain it......??

That's a great suggestion. Doncaster is about 13,000, on the main rail line from London and a lot closer to the mid point between the two than Leigh.

That's a great suggestion. Doncaster is about 13,000, on the main rail line from London and a lot closer to the mid point between the two than Leigh.

After the Sheffield fixture friday evening a few of us flagged this up as a good option.

Shame it wasnt selected as yes it would have been ideal and fair travel wise.

Thats probably why the RFL didnt select it.

Playing in Wigan`s back yard is clearly more neutral.

I appreciate the sentiments and agree it would be a very good "neutral" venue, but I'm afraid we have to face a bit of reality here.

If it was staged at Donny and every one of London's season ticket holders and regular attendees turned up, how many would be there before you take the Wigan fans into account. 

And how many Wigan fans who are likely to make the trip to the LSV wouldn't bother if it was played at the Keepmoat.

Unfortunately, I think you have to do both the economics and the "crowd appearance on the telly" factors here and, as a sport, we just can't afford to take what is, sadly imo, a bit of a risk.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Think this is another situation were the RFL can't win. If this game was staged in Doncaster or the midlands we would be lucky to get 3-4000 fans turning up and the RFL would be getting stick over that. As it is even playing it in Leigh I'd be surprised if there's more than 7-8000. But that should be enough to break even and it won't look awful on TV.

I appreciate the sentiments and agree it would be a very good "neutral" venue, but I'm afraid we have to face a bit of reality here.

If it was staged at Donny and every one of London's season ticket holders and regular attendees turned up, how many would be there before you take the Wigan fans into account. 

And how many Wigan fans who are likely to make the trip to the LSV wouldn't bother if it was played at the Keepmoat.

Unfortunately, I think you have to do both the economics and the "crowd appearance on the telly" factors here and, as a sport, we just can't afford to take what is, sadly imo, a bit of a risk.

I appreciate what you are saying here but Im sorry its a Challenge Cup semi final and it should be played a truely "Neutral" venue.

If the RFL are so concerned about showing empty stands why have they authorised Sky to show Broncos v Leeds on a school night

on thursday 1/8/13.Perhaps they RFL should switch that to Leeds.

Im sorry but If the RFL have to take a bit of a financial hit on this one occasion,so be it.

Edited by Spicer

I must admit, I have missed two grand finals since 2001, but I have never seen a kick off.

You need to set off earlier

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

I appreciate what you are saying here but Im sorry its a Challenge Cup semi final and it should be played a truely "Neutral" venue.

If the RFL are so concerned about showing empty stands why have they authorised Sky to show Broncos v Leeds on a school night

on thursday 1/8/13.Perhaps they RFL should switch that to Leeds.

Im sorry but If the RFL have to take a bit of a financial hit on this one occasion,so be it.

If results had gone a little differently we could have been looking at a Catalans V London semi final. The RFL would have had no choice but take a financial hit on that.

In this case, i do not think expecting Wigan fans to travel to Doncaster is too much to ask. There is a Wembley appearance at stake.

If they can't be bothered to turn up, then so be it, but to give Wigan a virtual home game in a stadium difficult to access reflects badly of the integrity of the competition.