Tetley’s Challenge Cup semi-final details confirmed

There appears to be a double standard here and London are getting the thin end of the stick ( Heaven knows I have been severly critical of the Broncos but this arrangement just smells wrong).

I don't see the other semi final being set for Salford or Widnes, virtual home games for Warrington and a farther distance for the Hull fans to travel.

Whats sauce for the goose should be sauce for the gander. To me this fixture scheduling is indefensible.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If results had gone a little differently we could have been looking at a Catalans V London semi final. The RFL would have had no choice but take a financial hit on that.

In this case, i do not think expecting Wigan fans to travel to Doncaster is too much to ask. There is a Wembley appearance at stake.

If they can't be bothered to turn up, then so be it, but to give Wigan a virtual home game in a stadium difficult to access reflects badly of the integrity of the competition.

Needless to say quite agree.

Having e mailed the RFL with my concerns yesterday it should be interesting to see whether they get back, but Im not

holding my breath. I also e mailed Broncos for there take on this, and definately dont expect a reply from them.

Thats not due to the content of the e mail but more due to the fact they are probably ringing round trying to find

somewhere to play next year. (if there is to be a next year)  

Edited by Spicer

Whilst I understand what you are saying, wouldn't the last round have possibly had a better crowd if Hull had been at home instead of Catalans? Wigan-Widnes didn't exactly look packed out either. We can't just move games around to suit. It is a cup semi final and whilst it might be financially better, to virtually give the tie as a home game to Wigan is surely against the spirit of the comp?

Sorry if I'm being a little dimmer than usual but the location of the last round games were governed by the draw so I don't follow what you say.

And like I posted earlier, I agree about Donny being the fairer choice but the RFL can probably expect at least twice the attendance at LSV than at the Keepmoat, and it's all down to finances I'm afraid.

I now await BOAB to come along and say we're all against Wigan but have some difficulty justifying his usual rant against the RFL.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Sorry if I'm being a little dimmer than usual but the location of the last round games were governed by the draw so I don't follow what you say.

And like I posted earlier, I agree about Donny being the fairer choice but the RFL can probably expect at least twice the attendance at LSV than at the Keepmoat, and it's all down to finances I'm afraid.

I now await BOAB to come along and say we're all against Wigan but have some difficulty justifying his usual rant against the RFL.

The main source of income for the RFL from the Cup is the television revenue. I think any loss of gate revenue is a small price to pay to preserve the intergity and fairness of the competiton which have endured for over a hundred years.

Apparently we've got the South Stand and the southern end of the West Stand, where I'll be lurking.

Good stuff,i'll be sitting amongst you then with me Leigh top on

Edited by jpmc

If results had gone a little differently we could have been looking at a Catalans V London semi final. The RFL would have had no choice but take a financial hit on that.

In this case, i do not think expecting Wigan fans to travel to Doncaster is too much to ask. There is a Wembley appearance at stake.

If they can't be bothered to turn up, then so be it, but to give Wigan a virtual home game in a stadium difficult to access reflects badly of the integrity of the competition.

FFS how is the LSV so difficult to get to....... I'm forgetting that everyone on here travels by rail to games , don't you just!

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

Parliamentary Rugby League Group Chairman calls for rethink over Challenge Cup semi-final location

The Chairman of the Parliamentary Rugby League Group, Leeds North West MP Greg Mulholland, has written to the RFL asking for the venue of the Challenge Cup semi-final between London Broncos and Wigan Warriors to be changed.
His call comes after Broncos fans raised the issue with the Group, which sees the Wigan team having to travel around five miles to play whilst the Broncos and their fans have to travel forty times that distance in what will be one of the most important games of the season for the two clubs.
After sending his letter, Mulholland said: "I appreciate there are a whole raft of issues that have to be considered when choosing an impartial location for a game of this scale and importance; but the distance fans have to travel should be fundamental.  Asking London fans to travel up to Lancashire for a neutral semi-final to be played only five miles away from Wigan is not fair.”
Mulholland suggested the RFL consider using a game somewhere between Wigan and London.  He continued:
"We've heard a great deal from the RFL at our regular meetings about the importance placed on the development of the game.  Why not find a venue in the midlands and use the game to draw-in a new audience. Perhaps organised in conjunction with one of the new Championship One Clubs or at other suitable stadiums, including football or rugby union grounds."

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @leagueexpress and TikTok @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

I understand they were originally going to play it at Donny but the anticipated crowd would have been halved due to them not letting his dog in.

Sorry for being sarcastic but, as Johnoco says, it's a bit bloody late now isn't it?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Following criticism of a venue selection for the Tetley’s Challenge Cup semi-final on Saturday July 27, the RFL has issued the following statement:
“The selection of Leigh Sports Village and John Smith’s Stadium as the venues for this weekend’s Tetley’s Challenge Cup semi-finals was made following consultation and agreement with all eight clubs involved in the quarter-finals.
“A number of alternative venues were considered and the final selections were based on various criteria, including availability, size and quality of facilities, associated match costs, commercial viability and the views of broadcast partners.
“On June 26 London Broncos confirmed to the RFL that they were “fine” with the options for all UK-based semi-finals and proposed that in the event of them being drawn against Catalan Dragons, their semi-final should be staged in London.
“Given the size of London’s current fan base and their historical levels of travelling support, the view was taken that Leigh Sports Village provides the best opportunity to present a major televised sporting spectacle to attendees and TV viewers in the most positive light whilst maximising the financial return for the two competing clubs who share 100 per cent of the receipts generated.”

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @leagueexpress and TikTok @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

Following criticism of a venue selection for the Tetley’s Challenge Cup semi-final on Saturday July 27, the RFL has issued the following statement:

“The selection of Leigh Sports Village and John Smith’s Stadium as the venues for this weekend’s Tetley’s Challenge Cup semi-finals was made following consultation and agreement with all eight clubs involved in the quarter-finals.

“A number of alternative venues were considered and the final selections were based on various criteria, including availability, size and quality of facilities, associated match costs, commercial viability and the views of broadcast partners.

“On June 26 London Broncos confirmed to the RFL that they were “fine” with the options for all UK-based semi-finals and proposed that in the event of them being drawn against Catalan Dragons, their semi-final should be staged in London.

“Given the size of London’s current fan base and their historical levels of travelling support, the view was taken that Leigh Sports Village provides the best opportunity to present a major televised sporting spectacle to attendees and TV viewers in the most positive light whilst maximising the financial return for the two competing clubs who share 100 per cent of the receipts generated.”

If nothing else this confirms that the current management of the London Broncos really don't know how to relate to their fans.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It certainly reflects badly on them. Indicating they didn't look at the proposed venues or if they did, couldn't care less.

I don't think that's the case.

It indicates that they think the decision is the right one.

Then they have little regard for themselves or their fans. And playing it so close to one team and so far away from the other, is not the right choice.

I'm sure they will be happy with the £££'s that the Wigan fans provide.

Then they have little regard for themselves or their fans. 

Exactly my point.

They are unfit for purpose.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'm sure they will be happy with the £££'s that the Wigan fans provide.

Let's talk again after Saturday but with play-offs and a final to be paid for as well I'm not banking on a massive Wigan turnout in Leigh - and certainly not one significantly greater than if a proper neutral location had been chosen.

Let's talk again after Saturday but with play-offs and a final to be paid for as well I'm not banking on a massive Wigan turnout in Leigh - and certainly not one significantly greater than if a proper neutral location had been chosen.

I don't disagree with you, but ultimately the London club were not confident enough to make a case for a more neutral venue.

I'd expect a crowd of around 6k. 

Do you realistically think a London or Midlands venue could have attracted that, personally I'm a bit split on it?

I don't disagree with you, but ultimately the London club were not confident enough to make a case for a more neutral venue.

I'd expect a crowd of around 6k. 

Do you realistically think a London or Midlands venue could have attracted that, personally I'm a bit split on it?

I think probably as I reckon you'd get 4-5k from Wigan wherever it was played.

6k is what I think for Saturday as well.

I think probably as I reckon you'd get 4-5k from Wigan wherever it was played.

6k is what I think for Saturday as well.

The problem is that if you played it in a non-RL ground, the terms may be too high for what could then be a sub-5k crowd.