Tetley’s Challenge Cup semi-final details confirmed

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"will turn a profit" though.

Tsk.

Ah, well the RFL have said they'll maximise the return for each club by playing at the LSV, so I'm putting 2+2 and getting an answer that says profit!

For what its worth, I find it ironic that on the 11th August the towns football team takes a trip to Wembley for a meaningless pre-season friendly with no certainty of fielding a first XI which will cost far in excess of anything the CC semi final would cost even in the midlands or South Yorkshire and they'll take far more fans than the combined total thats going to be at the LSV this weekend for what should be one of show piece matches. 

We've only ourselves to blame, we should be selling out places like this in a flash and BOTH sets of fans should have reasons for being unhappy.

What do you mean the cost isn't overly expensive?!!!

£36 for two tickets to the game

£42 in fuel for a 400 mile round trip

£75 for a hotel room (including breakfast)

£50 for other meals for two

Total: £203

That is a significant amount of money!!!

Fair enough, people seem to find that and more for other sports though, its hardly an every season event.  I'd gladly pay that and have done so to see my teams in cup competitions especially at this stage.

thats all well and good Mick, but the reality is that Wigan would probably have taken 4k to Coventry, London 500 and maybe 300 neutrals.

The crowd would have been rubbish. People need to stop dealing in fantasy rl on things like this. 5k in that large stadium with rent going out of the game would have been rubbish.

I hear you Dave but I also think your doing the Midlanders an injustice here, who is to say that only 300 neutrals would bother ?

Why not 3000 or 4000+ 

With all local free media plugging the game & RFL sending out memo's to every Midland & London area amateur club offering group discounts to a big game on their door step with a KO time meaning they would not be playing themselves, players taking their family & friends, clubs taking 52 seater coaches, general public having a convenient looksee etc. 

London may take a thousand plus (same reasons as above)

Surely Wigan would travel in their 1000's to Cov.

I dont agree.

The stadium in Coventry is around three times the size of LSV.

It could be easily managed though, why not house both sets of fans on one side of the ground while having the camera operators under strict instructions, (ie) the camera operator facing the crowd does the crowd shots while all operators do the game shots thus giving the impression of a full stadium, after all its about promotion & clever camera work can go along way to achieve that. 

You presume that the playing surface is still being maintained, safety certificates and insurance are still in place etc etc.

Then of course there is the presumption that the RFL didn't ask them, maybe they did heard the price and said thanks but no thanks.

The LSV wouldn't be my first choice, but its a tidy little ground, probably cheap and will turn a profit.  Ultimatley its us the fans that should take responsibility that a ground with a capacity less than one of the participating clubs average crowd is going to be plenty big enough for what should be one of the show piece occasions of the season.

Its not the format, the cost isn't overly expensive, travel for Wigan fans is never going to be closer, yet it'll not sell out.  The blame gets laid at the RFLs door for something in almost every thread, I'd suggest as fans we should be looking closer to home in the first instance.

Seeing as CCFC very recently announced that they quitting this stadium then id guess everything would be in working order or very little work to get the pitch game ready.

Same reason on the cost, As the management have suddenly lost its "only" tenant they would be very open to anyone wanting to host a game, As no one else is offering you'd have the ball in your court when negotiating the cost involved. 

Fair enough, people seem to find that and more for other sports though, its hardly an every season event.  I'd gladly pay that and have done so to see my teams in cup competitions especially at this stage.

I agree with your sentiment here Shrek but were trying to promote RL into non traditional area's & these people are not diehard RL supporters, As Wigan fans are already.

London have some though small in number, that's why IMO they should be encouraged to attend this game as its a marque fixture, holding it @ LSV is not very encouraging for them or any other curious folk from any of the expansion area's. 

I agree with your sentiment here Shrek but were trying to promote RL into non traditional area's & these people are not diehard RL supporters, As Wigan fans are already.

London have some though small in number, that's why IMO they should be encouraged to attend this game as its a marque fixture, holding it @ LSV is not very encouraging for them or any other curious folk from any of the expansion area's.

So London and any other curious folks would have turned out in thousands if the game would've been held at any other ground?

Yeh right.

Just check out this years CC attendances, they've been ###### and both semis will be the same, nothing to do with venues or heaven forbid a lack of a railway within yards of the stadium.

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

Seeing as CCFC very recently announced that they quitting this stadium then id guess everything would be in working order or very little work to get the pitch game ready.

Same reason on the cost, As the management have suddenly lost its "only" tenant they would be very open to anyone wanting to host a game, As no one else is offering you'd have the ball in your court when negotiating the cost involved. 

Not sure about that but we could speculate about it all day long, all I know is if I leave my garden for a couple of weeks this time of year it soon gets over grown, I can only imagine the amount of work a professional playing surface needs just for sport let alone to recover from hosting concernts etc.

The ownership of the stadium is also complicated from what I've read but my knowledge is based on what I read in WSC's clubs in crisis columns.

I agree about promotion but if the semi finals are intended to promote the game and spread the word so to speak we need a long run in from the 1/4 finals to achieve this.  Timing may also be key, Championship clubs start the football season a week on Saturday, I wonder how many grounds are actually available at this time of year and willing to risk the playing surface. 

I understand the London fans disappointment/frustrations, but to me I find it just as annoying that for a cup semi final 5 miles away there isn't uproar from Wigan fans as they are locked out of a sold out venue.  So its not just a case of "other curious folk" but on the one hand we cry out for showcase events, we get them and nobody bothers going - I don't get the RL fan menatility at all.

I understand the London fans disappointment/frustrations, but to me I find it just as annoying that for a cup semi final 5 miles away there isn't uproar from Wigan fans as they are locked out of a sold out venue.  So its not just a case of "other curious folk" but on the one hand we cry out for showcase events, we get them and nobody bothers going - I don't get the RL fan menatility at all.

That second bit is my point though.  Playing the match in Wigan does not in any way guarantee more Wigan fans than there would have been playing the match somewhere where you would have got more (okay not a huge number in the scheme of things) London fans.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1. Coventry City’s bosses have been accused of wrecking the Ricoh Arena pitch by starving head groundsman John Ledwidge of the funds he needed to do his job properly.  see http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/ricoh-arena-bosses-accuse-coventry-4033513

2. They are not going to hire it out to a couple of RL clubs at less than cost.  How would that work in a commercial concern?

3. Our game is short of money as it is, then we get accused of putting "profit" before the fans. 

4. In my view, this is not the time to conduct an experiment based on a dubious hypothesis

5. The debate yet again illustrates the  "no win" situation of the RFL

5. The debate yet again illustrates the  "no win" situation of the RFL

And what great profit will the semi at LSV generate? A few grand? Surely the prestige of the CC Semi final is worthy of more respect.

In their desperate attempt to make the match as low-rent as possible this is one occasion where the RFL really have sold the game short.

And everything that is right about the LSV also applies to Doncaster - which is actually properly neutral and would, I'm willing to bet, have had either the same or larger crowd.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

In their desperate attempt to make the match as low-rent as possible this is one occasion where the RFL really have sold the game short.

And everything that is right about the LSV also applies to Doncaster - which is actually properly neutral and would, I'm willing to bet, have had either the same or larger crowd.

Jon it goes beyond that. The RFL took a really lazy option to do this. It is almost as if they couldn't be bothered to do anything and that they are too pre-occupied with the World Cup etc.

Cantman will like this but there are three clear facts here.

1. London is dying on its a**e and needs a leg-up

2. Wigan is the most marketable name in Rugby League

3. Wigan have probably the biggest travelling fanbase in the country

I have said this before on here. I can't imagine anyone who would have protested (not even Wigan) if the RFL said 'on this occasion we are going to set a precedent. We all know London needs a boost and to that end we will play this fixture at the Stoop.'

The local media in London would have got behind it. The Broncos could have made the effort with its database. The Wigan fanbase would still have travelled for the game (at least 3-4k) and the Stoop would have had a 2k higher crowd than would have been at Leigh.

Wigan would still have won and got to Wembley. But both clubs would have got something out of the occasion

Plain short-sightedness. We can't see what is staring us in the face sometimes.

Jon it goes beyond that. The RFL took a really lazy option to do this. It is almost as if they couldn't be bothered to do anything and that they are too pre-occupied with the World Cup etc.

I have said this before on here. I can't imagine anyone who would have protested (not even Wigan) if the RFL said 'on this occasion we are going to set a precedent. We all know London needs a boost and to that end we will play this fixture at the Stoop.'

The local media in London would have got behind it. The Broncos could have made the effort with its database. The Wigan fanbase would still have travelled for the game (at least 3-4k) and the Stoop would have had a 2k higher crowd than would have been at Leigh.

Wigan would still have won and got to Wembley. But both clubs would have got something out of the occasion

Whilst I agree with everything you say I am still taking the moral high ground and sticking to the neutral venue thing.

Whilst I agree with everything you say I am still taking the moral high ground and sticking to the neutral venue thing.

Well they should have played it at Quins RU then. :tongue: It will be a neutral venue next year.

Edited by Scubby

Who says that Wigan are going to win?!!!  :tongue:

Edited by williamssimonp

Well they should have played it at Quins RU then. :tongue: It will be a neutral venue next year.

Not necessarily Scubby.

DH is quoted in the Currant Bun as claiming the Stoop is still an option along with Barnet, Orient and Gillingham.

And what great profit will the semi at LSV generate? A few grand? Surely the prestige of the CC Semi final is worthy of more respect.

It's a cup semi on free to air TV and we all know what that means in terms of paying attendances no matter where they are played.  Say there are 5,000 (or 10,000 or 15,000 at another venue)  there on Saturday. How do you think that will compare with the TV audience?... Its one game , one game , mind you,  and in terms of influencing people in a World Cup year with lots of games all over,  I'd rather the RFL be spending money on making the world cup a success.  Do both? well, yes , if we have the money...which generally we don't have.

I'm a Wigan fan and given the amount of money I've just paid out for me and  'er indoors to go to Cardiff, Huddersfield, Wembley and Old Trafford, I'll be watching the semi on TV for nothing.

MInd you , it would be good to see the World Cup promoted at this Saturday's and Sunday's games.

Still think they should have held the Cup Tie at Warrington.

A direct train service from Euston in under two hours then a 10-15 minute walk to the HJ.

Wigan fans its 10 mins on the train.

Also good Motorway access for both sets of fans.

The RFL could have marketed it as not a good ground for Wigan, neither v Wire nor in the 2007 semi v Catalans.

As for Leigh, they must have offered a lower rent to the RFL to hold the gig! That's the only explanation I can think of.

Not to mention some semblance of equal treatment for both participating teams.The reason for playing semi finals at neutral venues is to enable both teams to start on an equal footing with no built in home advantage.  LSV is not a neutral venue. We do not claim the world club championship final is a neutral venue when Leeds play it at Elland Road for instance.

Justice must not merely be done it must be seen to be done.

I'll be glad when there's a decent game at the LSV next week without the incessant whinging, regurgitating of the same old tedious lack of a rail link etc. Some folks on here would complain if a game was being played in the room next door.

Ps

Please keep LobbyTroll darn south.

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................