Whisky

Try the POT STILL pub on hope street glasgow if you want a large selection of whisky.

I like the JURA whiskies from Orkney.

But for a west of scotland weejy WHITE AND MCKAY is the daily tipple.

WHITE AND MCKAY?

Hang down your head Tom Dooley.

WHITE AND MCKAY?

Hang down your head Tom Dooley.

Could be worse, my in-laws brought me back a bottle of "whisky" from Canada once as they thought I might like it.  It was in a plastic bottle.  I still have it somewhere in one of my cupboards, I'll dig it out and put a picture of it up.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Could be worse, my in-laws brought me back a bottle of "whisky" from Canada once as they thought I might like it.  It was in a plastic bottle.  I still have it somewhere in one of my cupboards, I'll dig it out and put a picture of it up.

Slightly off-topic, but one Christmas, we found ourselves without anything to flame the pudding and it was late on Christmas Eve. We eventually found a shop that was open and returned in triumph...

...looking at it the next morning, the label read "Brandy flavoured Drink". Oh dear. It barely ignited, and went out almost immediately.

So, the next year, we used home-brewed Albanian raki we'd had from a relative of a friend of ours out there. This had the opposite problem, in that it was rather difficult to stop it once lit.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It was an attempt at humour.... :bad:

Edited by longboard

Classy. Did it come with a brown paper bag?

Really enjoying the Sainsburys Islay own brand stuff.

Got told this many a year ago about the spelling of Whisky and Whiskey , that if the country has an E in its spelling its spelt with an E , i've looked it up and it appears to be right............

Americans call theirs whiskey

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Gordon and McPhail sell a range of cask strength whiskies. Their website is interesting too.

For anyone that hasn't tried cask strength they really do give a big whisky hit.

I went to their shop in Elgin a few years back - astonishing range of little-known single malts, including ludicrously expensive bottles (£1,000-plus!) and bottles filled from casks bought off long-closed distilleries. For whisky enthusiasts it's a bit of a thrill. At the time I couldn't afford to splash out too much, but picked up a couple of reasonably priced bottles from obscure distilleries.

There's also an excellent whisky shop in Bakewell, of all places. They often have good offers on little-known brands. I think the place is called the Wee Dram.

*Edit: Yep, I'm right: The Wee Dram, Bakewell: http://www.weedram.co.uk *

Edited by West Country Eagle

Bristol Sonics Rugby League

2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions

2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists

2008 RLC Team Of The Year

2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions

www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

*Edit: Yep, I'm right: The Wee Dram, Bakewell: http://www.weedram.co.uk *

Just been having a look on there....I could end up spending a lot of money indulging myself with a few bottles, only problem is deciding which ones.

I remember being away on a work trip at a conference in San Moritz and a restaurant we went to had over 200 different whiskys to choose from. It really was a matter of pointing at a bottle and saying I'll try that one next. Brilliant trip, rubbish conference.

I remember one village pub in North Yorkshire, where they had a shelf running the full width of the bar, filled with a wildly eclectic collection of whisky and nothing but whisky. 

I had some amazing ones there, but it's changed management several times since and although it was still a good boozer last time I dropped in, the whisky wall was gone.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 months later...

Always hit the Powers Gold whenever I go to Dublin.

I bought a bottle of "Paddy" in Auchan in Coquelles, you don't see it very often in England. it's quite nice. I went to New York recently and planned to buy an obscure American Bourbon but it slipped my mind,

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

:smoke: A subject dear to my heart

I've been a fan of single malts for many years and the variety of tastes and surprises is second to none.

My favourite is the 18 y.o. Caol Ila Unchilfiltered an absolute belter.

I finished off a bottle of Talisker 57* North recently that hit the spot.

The Macallan never let me down and I forked out a few quid for a 21 y.o. which didn't last long!

I get my special stuff online here - www.lfw.co.uk

a great selection and amusing anecdotes about the flavours

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

:smoke: A subject dear to my heart

I've been a fan of single malts for many years and the variety of tastes and surprises is second to none.

My favourite is the 18 y.o. Caol Ila Unchilfiltered an absolute belter.

I finished off a bottle of Talisker 57* North recently that hit the spot.

The Macallan never let me down and I forked out a few quid for a 21 y.o. which didn't last long!

I get my special stuff online here - www.lfw.co.uk

a great selection and amusing anecdotes about the flavours

There's a hefty markup on everything on that site!  Strangely enough, Amazon is becoming one of the better places to buy decent whisky at a good price and if you're one of those with Amazon Prime it becomes even better as your next day delivery is already covered for a good amount of the whisky on sale.

I get all my Laphroaig direct from the distillery, cuts out the reseller cost and they also give me an annual birthday 10% off voucher that I use to stock up my whisky cupboard.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

There's a hefty markup on everything on that site!  Strangely enough, Amazon is becoming one of the better places to buy decent whisky at a good price and if you're one of those with Amazon Prime it becomes even better as your next day delivery is already covered for a good amount of the whisky on sale.

I get all my Laphroaig direct from the distillery, cuts out the reseller cost and they also give me an annual birthday 10% off voucher that I use to stock up my whisky cupboard.

You're right about Amazon, and it's also good for presentation boxes as presents. I bought my mum a bottle of Penderyn (Welsh whisky) on Amazon which came with two rather attractive glasses.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I bought my mum a bottle of Penderyn (Welsh whisky) on Amazon which came with two rather attractive glasses.

I remember trying some of that a long long time ago and if memory serves me right it was rather nice.

I went to Sainsburys a few days ago to try and get another bottle of that Islay single malt recommended on here and they had sold out and I was told they will not be getting anymore. Very disappointed.

I remember trying some of that a long long time ago and if memory serves me right it was rather nice.

I went to Sainsburys a few days ago to try and get another bottle of that Islay single malt recommended on here and they had sold out and I was told they will not be getting anymore. Very disappointed.

Yep, the own-brand single malts appear to have been discontinued. Terrible decision - they were superb value. :fie: 

Ralph Waldo Emerson