Whisky

hurrah for mums!.....glad to hear that ones other than 14yr old (thus a tad cheaper) are also decent.....tempted to put a pre-xmas order in

Hurrah indeed! I've had a look at the Arran website, and the one she bought was the green label one, finished in Sauternes casks, so there's an underlying sweetness to it.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 4 weeks later...

Santa brought me a Bruichladdich 10 year old.  I am now very pleased with Santa.  Subtle for an Islay whisky but, at 46%, one of the better drops for contemplative mellowness.  Apparently it's the first 'proper' Bruichladdich this century after the distillery had ceased production in 1995, restarting in 2001 under new ownership.

bruichladdich_10year_old_2011.jpg

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'd still try the Adnams (if it's not too expensive), just out of curiosity.

It's available now at £44.  I'd have thought they'd have pitched it nearer £30.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'm not a whisky connoisseur by any means but one of my clients gave me a bottle of 21 year old Isle of Jura recently. Is it worth drinking or is it a donate to a raffle job ?

Is it this?

Be a very generous raffle prize.

It's available now at £44.  I'd have thought they'd have pitched it nearer £30.

I know someone who tried it, his esteemed view was that you'd be better buying a bottle of Bells and mixing it with something like meths.  In fact, you'd be better buying a bottle of Bells and beating yourself with it.  He said it had a bit of promise but was at least 3, and most likely 5-10 years, away from being what you'd consider drinkable if you're a proper whisky man.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I know someone who tried it, his esteemed view was that you'd be better buying a bottle of Bells and mixing it with something like meths.  In fact, you'd be better buying a bottle of Bells and beating yourself with it.  He said it had a bit of promise but was at least 3, and most likely 5-10 years, away from being what you'd consider drinkable if you're a proper whisky man.

As UB40 said "food for thought"...doe's that apply to wine.

Benromach, the first time I've tried it. Very pale, very interesting.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A bottle of Midleton Very Rare very gratefully received for Christmas.

This is my fourth bottle, and I have yet to take them up on their offer of a guided tasting tour. I might try to give that a go this year.

Good stuff, the Midleton VR.

If you visit the distillery, a meal at the nearby Ballymaloe should be worth consideration. Good sea fishing from Ballycotton, which is c10 miles from Midleton if that's your thing.

To continue the Christmas present theme. My son got me a bottle of Lagavulin.

Never had it before. I like it very much.

Easily my favourite.

I had a couple of bottles of whisky given me, a bottle of Jura "Superstition" it's described as "lightly peated" and with notes of caramel. I found it a bit sweet, I was also given a bottle of Black Grouse, now I find ordinary Grouse a bit sweet for my taste but the Black Grouse was really nice. If you like peaty malts it's worthwhile trying as it's not that expensive.

I also stumbled across this

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/islay-storm/

Again this looks to be reasonable price..

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Well I tried the Jura but it was probably wasted on me. The best thing I can say about it is that at least it didn't feel like I'd swallowed molten lava like most whisky does.

I have never enjoyed a Jura myself, despite being assured that I should.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

To continue the Christmas present theme. My son got me a bottle of Lagavulin.

Never had it before. I like it very much. 

Good stuff, Lagavulin. Bit extreme for some tastes, but if you enjoy your Islay malts, lovely.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Aberlour A'Bunadh - Batch 42 (I'm pretty sure it's No.42, but I'd have to check). A cask-strength Speyside, finished in Oloroso barrels. Deep, dark, fabulous and (slightly) discounted at Waitrose.

A more detailed description and review.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I quite like (Spanish) brandy but can't take to whisky!  A friend has become a recent convert (and bore) of single malts and keeps trying to convert me.

I do try it now and again to see if my palate has changed, but I usually look like I'm in the finals of the Grassmere Gurning Competition when I taste it!

It all tastes 'peaty' to me.  That is, as if it has been taken from an Irish bog - and by bog, I don't mean a swamp!!

I quite like (Spanish) brandy but can't take to whisky!  A friend has become a recent convert (and bore) of single malts and keeps trying to convert me.

I do try it now and again to see if my palate has changed, but I usually look like I'm in the finals of the Grassmere Gurning Competition when I taste it!

It all tastes 'peaty' to me.  That is, as if it has been taken from an Irish bog - and by bog, I don't mean a swamp!!

He may just be a fan of Islay malts, which are peaty - some being extremely peaty. Lighter mainland whiskies might be more to your taste.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

never been a whiskey lover as i always seem to end up with a massive headache before i even get home. dont mind the odd jack d or 3. always love the honey rums(ron miel) from gran canaria when on holidays, but i had a bottle of georgia moonshine peach mash bought for christmas by my wife off drinkfinder and it were spot on,some type a corn whiskey that even came in a masons jar. i sure slept like a polar bear over the new year that for sure. been wanting to try a few moonshines so if anyone can recomend anywere over here that will be fine,many thanks,and happy new year.

Now rum - there's a thing. Never liked it 'til fairly recently, finding it harsh and almost metallic. Then I tried a few different ones and absolutely fell for Angostura 1919 rum. Like drinking a glass of sunshine!

A little research revealed that most run is made and bottled pretty quickly, but a bit of ageing can make for a much nicer drink. They don't tend to be aged as long as whisky, but the 8 years for Angostura 1919 certainly have an effect.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I don't mind the occasional Bacardi and coke but I have never been a fan of rum. Over Christmas I got a bottle of Foursquare Spiced rum that a friend said was really nice...I couldn't agree. It's drinkable with a lot of coke or some other mixer but the taste of the rum really is not for me.

I am off on my travels again tomorrow so will be having a nose around the duty free shops at Heathrow for something nice. I've still got lots of Bowmore left from the last trip but I like to expand my horizons. I am meeting up in Prague with a crazy Polish colleague who is bringing some 'proper' Polish vodka with him for me to try.

I occasionally buy Kraken spiced rum. Very dark and treacly in taste.

Ralph Waldo Emerson