Whisky

Laphroaig have just released this year's Cask Strength batch (006) at a lovely 58.0%ABV.  Order placed for two bottles plus a bottle of 18yo just as a reward for me being such a good boy this year (obviously my own very subjective assessment of "good boy")

Where do you order your whisky from?

The distillery website itself.

Join up their "friends" scheme and you get moderate discounts plus 10% extra off for your birthday month.

Thanks, I am currently working my way through a bottle of their Triple Wood version and I think there was some sort of label thingy on that suggesting I sign up as Friend of Laphroaig but I never got around to it.

Just finished a bottle of Bowmore. If we can stray into other distilled spirits, I have just bought a bottle of 'Kraken' spiced rum.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

£5 off a bottle of cask strength is no bad thing although £5.99 shipping seems a bit steep. I guess I might have to get a few bottles.

That's what I do.  I tend to get a few bottles at once.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

That's what I do.  I tend to get a few bottles at once.

I think my wife is already convinced I am an alcoholic, if I start buying in whisky by the case she is going to take some convincing otherwise. Oh well, probably worth it.

Thanks, I am currently working my way through a bottle of their Triple Wood version and I think there was some sort of label thingy on that suggesting I sign up as Friend of Laphroaig but I never got around to it.

Had you down as a gin and tonic man!  ;)

I do like a G&T on occasion, I also have a bottle of sloe gin which is rather nice.

I've never really explored the world of Vodkas that are available, a Polish colleague was lecturing me about the vast variety on offer but I've never really ventured much beyond Smirnoff which I appreciate is just supermarket vodka and probably only good for mixing.

I do like a G&T on occasion, I also have a bottle of sloe gin which is rather nice.

I've never really explored the world of Vodkas that are available, a Polish colleague was lecturing me about the vast variety on offer but I've never really ventured much beyond Smirnoff which I appreciate is just supermarket vodka and probably only good for mixing.

Smirnoff Black is actually quite good and very smooth, a massive improvement over the diluted meths of the normal Smirnoff.  A nice hint of vanilla released when combined with nothing but a cube of ice per finger of vodka.  Obviously not as good as some of your premium vodkas but it's very good value for money.

Edit:  It comes across as if I drink a bit much alcohol!  I'm not really an alcoholic, I just like nice booze...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I remember the first time I bought Navy strength gin. Well, you mix a G&T by eye, don't you? I was incapable by 8pm and certainly learned my lesson!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Do you wear a blazer and an old school tie whilst drinking a G&T?

Edited by longboard

Smirnoff Black is actually quite good and very smooth, a massive improvement over the diluted meths of the normal Smirnoff.  A nice hint of vanilla released when combined with nothing but a cube of ice per finger of vodka.  Obviously not as good as some of your premium vodkas but it's very good value for money.

Edit:  It comes across as if I drink a bit much alcohol!  I'm not really an alcoholic, I just like nice booze...

There are a lot of 'boutique' vodkas and gins available these days - some better than others. The market will winnow out the ones that don't cut it. As for gin, 'Opihr' has a peppery touch of spice, which I like. Heston Blumenthal's Earl Grey & Lemon gin, not so much.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I remember the first time I bought Navy strength gin. Well, you mix a G&T by eye, don't you? I was incapable by 8pm and certainly learned my lesson!

There is no point in drinking a weak G&T.

Pub G&Ts are like maiden's water.

Don't drown the gin with a lot of tonic, use plenty of ice instead and lots of lime both squeezed and sliced, then drink it pretty quickly. Don't do any of this before 12:01pm. Once you have made said snifter, dander in the direction of your hammock, or perhaps your chaise longue on a cool day, accompanied by a good book...

Sloe gin can be very good and it is easy to make, with variations to the taste achieved easily eg by the use of vanilla,or almond..... Damson gin and bilberry gin are also very good, although picking bilberries is a bit of a fag. 

There is no point in drinking a weak G&T.

Pub G&Ts are like maiden's water.

Don't drown the gin with a lot of tonic, use plenty of ice instead and lots of lime both squeezed and sliced, then drink it pretty quickly. Don't do any of this before 12:01pm. Once you have made said snifter, dander in the direction of your hammock, or perhaps your chaise longue on a cool day, accompanied by a good book...

Well, to avoid dilution, you can use well-frozen whisky stones instead of ice cubes, but mixing by eye with Navy strength gin will seriously mess you up! I should know - my godmother's husband used to mix what normal folk called a Tonic & Gin.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sloe gin can be very good and it is easy to make, with variations to the taste achieved easily eg by the use of vanilla,or almond..... Damson gin and bilberry gin are also very good, although picking bilberries is a bit of a fag. 

Up in the wilds of the Cumbria, they make damson gin, which is a good alternative to sloe gin. If you can find it, try it - it is absolutely delicious! Some companies (Sipsmith, for one) make damson vodka, which is also worth a taste.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Do you wear a blazer and an old school tie whilst drinking a G&T?

I dress that way everyday, surely everyone does. Very proud of my old school, they recently celebrated their 500th birthday (probably with a few G&Ts)

Up in the wilds of the Cumbria, they make damson gin, which is a good alternative to sloe gin. If you can find it, try it - it is absolutely delicious! Some companies (Sipsmith, for one) make damson vodka, which is also worth a taste.

I make damson gin, bilberry gin and sloe gin. These tend to be stronger than the commercially available brands of sloe and damson gin. I like them as aperitifs, digestifs, or with cheese. I've never made damson cheese though. Greengage gin is good also, although it looks a bit like a urine sample.

One year I made blackcurrant vodka and also cranberry vodka. Neither were for the faint hearted, or lilly livered - they could have powered the Aryan rocket. The blackcurrant vodka I made was my favourite and it provided a bit of fuel at a New Year's Eve jag I organised. I don't drink much vodka these days though.

I dress that way everyday, surely everyone does. Very proud of my old school, they recently celebrated their 500th birthday (probably with a few G&Ts)

I hope said arriviste gymnasium shindig involved more than a few snifters.

My old school's 503 years old, so ner! :P 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I make damson gin, bilberry gin and sloe gin. These tend to be stronger than the commercially available brands of sloe and damson gin. I like them as aperitifs, digestifs, or with cheese. I've never made damson cheese though. Greengage gin is good also, although it looks a bit like a urine sample.

One year I made blackcurrant vodka and also cranberry vodka. Neither were for the faint hearted, or lilly livered - they could have powered the Aryan rocket. The blackcurrant vodka I made was my favourite and it provided a bit of fuel at a New Year's Eve jag I organised. I don't drink much vodka these days though.

My family put some Albanian girls through music college in the UK and, every time they returned from visiting their folks, they carried several <ahem> 'Evian' bottles that actually contained home-made raki. Now, Albanian raki is more like grappa than the raki made East of there, as there is no aniseed component. For all I know, it was made in a bathtub, but by God it tasted good.

One year, we flamed the Christmas pudding with home-made mulberry raki. it made a nice flame, but we had trouble blowing it out!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On another occasion, my parents had a holiday in Ireland. We tried to have a family holiday there a few years later, but someone set fir to the ferry while we in the middle of the Irish sea, which was inconvenient. Anyhoo, during their holiday, they were approached by an old gent in the pub, who slipped them a Radox bottle containing a <ahem> home-distilled clear liquid.

But while their car was waiting on the dockside for the ferry, it was broken into and the bag containing the bottle, among other things, was nicked. A few weeks later, the bag was returned, courtesy of the Irish police. They returned the lot, bottle included.

How did it taste? Horrible!

Ralph Waldo Emerson