Whisky

What are your thoughts on Caol Ila or Lagavulin?

Perhaps I need to arrange a holiday to Scotland to continue my education. 

Caol Ila isn't my favourite but certainly a nice drink.  I definitely wouldn't refuse a drink of it if offered.

Lagavulin has a slightly different flavour from Laphroaig, 16yo is the best bang for your buck, as they say.  Younger than that can be a bit underwhelming if over-watered and rough if under, 16yo is very forgiving and lovely almost any way.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Caol Ila isn't my favourite but certainly a nice drink.  I definitely wouldn't refuse a drink of it if offered.

Lagavulin has a slightly different flavour from Laphroaig, 16yo is the best bang for your buck, as they say.  Younger than that can be a bit underwhelming if over-watered and rough if under, 16yo is very forgiving and lovely almost any way.

I need to find decent pub with a good range of whisky and spend a pleasant evening trying a few.

I have some of the new Laphroaig Select, a bit light and not as meaty as proper Laphroaig.

Ardbeg is overpriced these days.

I like a light whisky

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I like a light whisky

You might like Laphroaig Select then, most supermarkets seem to do it these days and it's on offer in most of them.  Same smokey and peaty aftertaste of the richer Laphroaig's but a lot lighter in taste and "hit".

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I'm due a tax refund of around £1500 on 23rd of December so I've already set aside a portion of it to treat myself to a 25yo Laphroaig.  Previously, when I was self-employed, when I got a contract signature and first payment against it I'd treat myself to a bottle of 18yo to celebrate.  Now I've taken my permanent job and got my first payment I'll be going large on the 25yo!

I like a light whisky

You might want to try Benromach, then. It is a tiny Speyside distillery - I think only two people actually do the distilling.

It is a very pale malt, so it looks extremely unprepossessing, but is very nice, light dram indeed. Here's some details: https://www.forwhiskeylovers.com/store/whiskey/benromach-traditional-single-malt-whisky-750ml

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

You might like Laphroaig Select then, most supermarkets seem to do it these days and it's on offer in most of them. Same smokey and peaty aftertaste of the richer Laphroaig's but a lot lighter in taste and "hit".

Thanks for that and well timed . I think I'll be sipping dalwhinnie this year. I love the stuff

Keeping it local

I once went on a distillery tour in Oban. The guide there went through the six classic malts and referred to Dalwhinnie as "a lady's drink"

the memsahib and her besty love it.....

Then so do I.

I have a 25 yr old Scapa for the solstice...

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

I once went on a distillery tour in Oban. The guide there went through the six classic malts and referred to Dalwhinnie as "a lady's drink"

Then he/she is a sexist narrow minded tosser

Keeping it local

I'm due a tax refund of around £1500 on 23rd of December so I've already set aside a portion of it to treat myself to a 25yo Laphroaig.  Previously, when I was self-employed, when I got a contract signature and first payment against it I'd treat myself to a bottle of 18yo to celebrate.  Now I've taken my permanent job and got my first payment I'll be going large on the 25yo!

Hope you don't like it too much or is could be hard going back to the cheap stuff  ;)

During the recent Amazon Black Friday week sale thing I bought a bottle of Johnnie Walker Double Black whisky. I do not normally buy blended whisky but after reading that this has lots of Islay in it I thought at £25 a bottle I would give it a go.

I was actually pleasantly surprised, it's not a world beater but it's certainly very drinkable and one I would consider buying again.

During the recent Amazon Black Friday week sale thing I bought a bottle of Johnnie Walker Double Black whisky. I do not normally buy blended whisky but after reading that this has lots of Islay in it I thought at £25 a bottle I would give it a go.

I was actually pleasantly surprised, it's not a world beater but it's certainly very drinkable and one I would consider buying again.

There are some very nice blended whiskies, but as it is sometimes difficult to find out which malts are in them, single malts are easier to decide on before buying.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

There are some very nice blended whiskies, but as it is sometimes difficult to find out which malts are in them, single malts are easier to decide on before buying.

One of the Dewar's ones is really good.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Just popped into Millroys, the whisky shop just off Soho Square. Rapidly-emptying shelves and discounted stock, but it's because they have bought themselves out of the Jereboam Group and are going independent again. :) 

Hopefully, by February/March, they will be remodelled and open again, and offering the old wide range range of wonderful malts.

I did get a bottle of their own-label Islay, though.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

You might like Laphroaig Select then, most supermarkets seem to do it these days and it's on offer in most of them.  Same smokey and peaty aftertaste of the richer Laphroaig's but a lot lighter in taste and "hit".

Bought a bottle the other day. I could smell the difference straight away. Laphroaig normally smells like the corridor to oncology and haematology at work but the Select only has the merest whiff of antiseptic. Its boots aren't as big as 'normal' Laphroaig but it's still a very nice drink.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.