Whisky

I bought a bottle of Ardberg a while back and on first few glasses didn't really like it. A month or two later I gave it another go and now quite like it. Not sure if it has had chance to 'breathe' or my taste buds have adapted.

I bought a bottle of Ardbeg a while back and on first few glasses didn't really like it. A month or two later I gave it another go and now quite like it. Not sure if it has had chance to 'breathe' or my taste buds have adapted.

Islay can sometimes taste a bit strange at first, even you are a regular to the type. The Caol Ila 'Moch' I bought the other day tasted a bit odd for the first few sips. Then I was back in the groove again.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Islay can sometimes taste a bit strange at first, even you are a regular to the type. The Caol Ila 'Moch' I bought the other day tasted a bit odd for the first few sips. Then I was back in the groove again.

Went to a whisky tasting evening a while back - enjoyable and got to try drops of stuff I'd unlikely ever be able to afford for myself.

The interesting part was noting the change in taste and sensation and smell between very first sip of the night and the second. The taster bloke explained why this was; blowed if I can remember the tale. But the key take away was: first sip, swill it round your mouth, breath through it and let it sit around for a short time. It makes a difference to how you perceive what's to follow.

It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

Going to friends for "paddy's night" dinner.... so instead of the obligatory chateauneuf du pape... A std dinner party offering, I'm taking the afters... A bottle of redbreast.... For those who like their whiskey with an 'e' it's quite a pleasant drop.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

I was in Asda yesterday, and noticed that, like Sainsbury's, they have brought back their 'own label' single malts. Highland and Speyside only, in the shop where I was.

However, I am currently working through a bottle of Glenrothes. Smooth.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was in Asda yesterday, and noticed that, like Sainsbury's, they have brought back their 'own label' single malts. Highland and Speyside only, in the shop where I was.

I was wrong! They have 'own label' Islay too, and I have a glass of it in my hand right now. Nice, too. :) 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 months later...

Bruichladdich Port Charlotte.

Very nice. The trouble is I drank half of the bottle last night so I have resolved to spread the rest over tonight and tomorrow. My will power will be helped because I need to drive in the morning.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Asda's own label Speyside is a bit meh. Not terrible, but not worth revisiting.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Try the English whisky distilled in norfolk. Marks and Spencer sell it .Now on offer at £34 a bottle.Very light and fruity..

Glenlivet Founder's Reserve was discounted at Sainsbury's today. Not bad at all. :) 

I'm more of an Islay fan, but I like a bit of variety every now and then.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Try the English whisky distilled in norfolk. Marks and Spencer sell it .Now on offer at £34 a bottle.Very light and fruity..

See my comments on P16 post 320. Basically I thought it was too young. I had the M&S version too.

Edited by Bearman

Ron Banks

• 2 weeks later...

I called into the Booths Supermarket in Ulverston on my way back from the Raiders game on Saturday night. I was impressed with their selection of Whiskies. They had that Port Charlotte that I wrote about above, mind you at the thickened of £50 I didn't indulge.

I bought a bottle of "Islay Mist" a blended whisky at £17.49. Very nice.

Ron Banks

I spoke to my dad earlier today, he got a leaving present from work on Friday of some bottles of whisky.  He's not a great whisky knowledge base so he asked me my opinion on the selection:  Lagavulin 16yo, Bowmore 12yo, Laphroaig 10yo, Talisker 18yo, Caol Ila 12yo and Bunnahabhain 12yo.

I'm sure he was taking the proverbial when he said he thought they were cheap bottles... :(

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I spoke to my dad earlier today, he got a leaving present from work on Friday of some bottles of whisky.  He's not a great whisky knowledge base so he asked me my opinion on the selection:  Lagavulin 16yo, Bowmore 12yo, Laphroaig 10yo, Talisker 18yo, Caol Ila 12yo and Bunnahabhain 12yo.

I'm sure he was taking the proverbial when he said he thought they were cheap bottles... :(

Just agree with him. Tell him his pals are taking the mickey and offer to swap them for some beautiful Canadian Redwood.

Ron Banks

With very little effort you can certainly spend a lot more per bottle, but they're not exactly 'own-brand' whiskies.  Whoever chose that selection certainly had good taste.

I guess you are going to be visiting your dad very soon?  ;)

I guess you are going to be visiting your dad very soon?  ;)

...with a funnel! B) 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

Just opened my latest acquisition, a fantastic bottle of the 200th Anniversary Cairdeas from Laphroaig.  Seriously limited edition with the master distiller aiming for what the whisky would have tasted back then.  It's far more subtle than the traditional Laphroaig, lighter and sweeter but with the very distinctive hit that just says Laphroaig.  I also just finished a bottle of this year's Laphroaig Cask Strength (007 batch) that's quite probably the best since the 001 batch, full flavour hit that's perfect sipping whisky.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On a slightly less exalted note, I just opened a bottle of Waitrose 'own label' Speyside.

Unlike most supermarket 'own label' offerings, it is closer to £30 than £20 (bringing it in direct competition with 'name' malts), but in this case, it is really good. Worth trying.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm just back from the game at Barrow and again I called into Booth's and bought a bottle of the Islay Mist at £17.49. Excellent value.

A little bit of name dropping now. I was talking to Ralph Rimmer the other week ( he's from Ulverston) and I told him about my last visit to Booth's and how impressed I was with the whisky choice.

His face lit up at the mention of Booth's and he told me he had been in one of their other stores and looking at the whiskies. An assisant had seen him deliberating and offered him some samples to taste. The assistant was really knowledgeable about the whiskies he was trying.

"Best of all" Ralph remarked was the assistant said " why don't you go home and think about what you would like to buy in the future!" With that, he immediately bought two bottles from the samples he had been offered just because he thought the service from the guy was so outstanding.

Ron Banks

Any time any of you are down in London, Milroy's of Soho is now back in business as an independent company.

Really worth a visit. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I also just finished a bottle of this year's Laphroaig Cask Strength (007 batch) that's quite probably the best since the 001 batch, full flavour hit that's perfect sipping whisky.

You showed remarkable restraint to make it last that long (unless you bought a lot of bottles). Mine 'disappeared' rather too quickly.

I made the mistake of buying some Laphroaig Select....I can only assume it the Select tag was not meant as a good one. It's pretty lifeless and doesn't deserve the Laphroaig label.

You showed remarkable restraint to make it last that long (unless you bought a lot of bottles). Mine 'disappeared' rather too quickly.

I made the mistake of buying some Laphroaig Select....I can only assume it the Select tag was not meant as a good one. It's pretty lifeless and doesn't deserve the Laphroaig label.

If you notice with the Select, it has no age on it.  Much like the other premium brands' unaged stuff it's by far their weakest in terms of quality.  Don't feed the quality reduction trend by buying the rubbish!

If you notice with the Select, it has no age on it.  Much like the other premium brands' unaged stuff it's by far their weakest in terms of quality.  Don't feed the quality reduction trend by buying the rubbish!

Lesson learnt.

I'm in Spain at the moment and found a bottle of White Horse in a supermarket. I bought it because it used to use Lagavulin as its base malt, but I'm blowed if I can taste it now. I also bought a bottle of another blended "Ballantynes" this one is 12 years old and is very smooth. I usually prefer the iodine taste of Islays. I'm not getting that but it is very smooth.

There are lots of other old blendeds here two, Cutty Sark, Vat 69 ( The Popes phone number) and Charles Lawson 18 yr old. Are they worth trying? I Have tried Vat 69 and remember it as rubbish.

Talking of old blended brands I used to love "Old Parr" I suspect I would find it a bit sweet for my tastes now. Is it still available?

Ron Banks

I'm in Spain at the moment and found a bottle of White Horse in a supermarket. I bought it because it used to use Lagavulin as its base malt, but I'm blowed if I can taste it now. I also bought a bottle of another blended "Ballantynes" this one is 12 years old and is very smooth. I usually prefer the iodine taste of Islays. I'm not getting that but it is very smooth.

There are lots of other old blendeds here two, Cutty Sark, Vat 69 ( The Popes phone number) and Charles Lawson 18 yr old. Are they worth trying? I Have tried Vat 69 and remember it as rubbish.

Talking of old blended brands I used to love "Old Parr" I suspect I would find it a bit sweet for my tastes now. Is it still available?

You used to be able to get some very good blends but the drive to make more money plus them going mainly to large distributors/groups means that they're going to be making the blends as cheaply as possible.  I can't remember the last time I had a blend that I thought was better than average.  Even those who used to have a good base are using less of it or younger malts to save money.