Whisky

I just got a Dalwhinnie Winter's Gold, discounted at Morrison's. It has been too long since I had regular Dalwhinnie, so I can't really compare, but this particular expression is quite sweet.

It is a nice dram, if not truly outstanding, but certainly good for the price paid.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Which ones if you don't mind me asking?

I had a special edition bottle a year or so ago which was really nice, I think it was you or someone on here who mentioned Bunnahabhain that got me looking for a bottle to give it a try back then.

Ceòbanach and Cruach-Mhòna

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I have just coached another perspective student through her interview for nurse training. As a thank you i have been given a tomatin. Nice one....

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently working hard at losing my beergut( see other thread) by a combination of carefully balanced starvation and slimming world (6 and a half stone lost so far)

As I have plenty of "Will power" but no "won't power" I have pretty much gone on the wagon. I'm a glutton and only ever get three visits to a bottle and it's gonee. I nearly fell off it today though as I was shopping with my owner in Aldi and I see they do an Islay single malt at just over £17!

Has anyone tried it? Should I have a little treat?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

There is an 'amorik' on sale here I picardie .....

I shall be making a purchase. The best of britagne in my opinion

Edited by Robin Evans

In the end I went for a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail again, which isn't cheap but I think is bloody lovely stuff.

I tried a few at duty free on the way to Amsterdam including a Green Label JW that contains Islays amongst other and was very drinkable. I also tried Caol ila for the first time and may get a bottle of this next unless I go back to the Bunnyheaven.

• 2 weeks later...

We have an Aldi just opened up the road from us and the leaflet stuffed through has an Islay Single Malt for £18.  Anyone tried it?  That said, putting Islay, Single and Malt together with a price under £20 can't go wrong, can it?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

We have an Aldi just opened up the road from us and the leaflet stuffed through has an Islay Single Malt for £18.  Anyone tried it?  That said, putting Islay, Single and Malt together with a price under £20 can't go wrong, can it?

Definitely worth a shot at less than 20 notes a bottle. Really wish we had an Aldi near us. 

You have to wonder how they can sell bottles at that price but it would almost be rude not to.

I haven't tried it, but that price is attractive. If this is the Glen Marnoch Islay, there are several reviews online. The few I've read say it's a decent whisky, but not an outstanding one. Someone guessed at it being a young Caol Ila.

At the price, definitely worth buying.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I haven't tried it, but that price is attractive. If this is the Glen Marnoch Islay, there are several reviews online. The few I've read say it's a decent whisky, but not an outstanding one. Someone guessed at it being a young Caol Ila.

see caol ila.... its never reight.

The memsahib loves it but makes me want to hurl....

I don't mind a mildly peated dram but caol ila smells like an industrial lubricant.

I've heard that the current Caol Ila does not taste as good as it once was.  I've only tried the recent stuff and wasn't impressed, particularly given it's reputation for being a good drop.....someone I know who has drunk it for years offered me an almost full bottle of it as he said "tha's no Caol Ila, ah know it seys so ah the label but there's no way tha's Caol Ila"....perhaps someone has tinkered with the recipe?

I've heard that the current Caol Ila does not taste as good as it once was.  I've only tried the recent stuff and wasn't impressed, particularly given it's reputation for being a good drop.....someone I know who has drunk it for years offered me an almost full bottle of it as he said "tha's no Caol Ila, ah know it seys so ah the label but there's no way tha's Caol Ila"....perhaps someone has tinkered with the recipe?

New owners often want to make changes. Look at Jura - it used to be a rare sight on a shop shelf, but now it is everywhere, and in various gimmicky versions. And not very special either.

New Caol Ila is okay, but I've had it in the past when it was absolute nectar. It is possible that my taste has changed (but I still love Islay malts) or my memory was faulty, but it is just as likely that the recipe has been meddled with by some conglomerate.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

New owners often want to make changes. Look at Jura - it used to be a rare sight on a shop shelf, but now it is everywhere, and in various gimmicky versions. And not very special either.

New Caol Ila is okay, but I've had it in the past when it was absolute nectar. It is possible that my taste has changed (but I still love Islay malts) or my memory was faulty, but it is just as likely that the recipe has been meddled with by some conglomerate.

The problem with the premium brands, and good whisky in general, is that a decision 10 years ago is essentially unchangeable.  A decision to go mass-market by selling younger whisky in higher batches can't be changed because that'd be a lot of whisky sitting around if they decide to leave it for longer.  Then once the brand has been tainted by an idiot marketeer then it's damnably hard to recover.  That's why Caol Ila is being batch-sold to places like Aldi, they can't sell it at full price because of a tainted brand and can't keep it, they can't cut their prices either as that'd set the standard brand price at an even lower level.

Got a bottle tonight. Fairly ordinary stuff. Over-filtered, too young and just doesn't have up front kick of a good Islay single malt. A good deal for the price but it's poor compared to a properly aged branded one. I won't be buying again.

Got a bottle tonight. Fairly ordinary stuff. Over-filtered, too young and just doesn't have up front kick of a good Islay single malt. A good deal for the price but it's poor compared to a properly aged branded one. I won't be buying again.

So, best value as a mixer, if you're into cocktails?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

So, best value as a mixer, if you're into cocktails?

It'd be an interesting home blending base with maybe a decent Speyside.

Right....

2 Christmas whiskies sorted and locked away.

A world champion.... 21 yr old Dunedin doublewood from NZ

And an Amorik from Britany....

Further purchases...

I shall acquire an Asyla from compass box and a scapa.... thats me done for christmas then.

Oh and if you get a bottle of laphroig select you apparently get a free square foot plot of land on islay...seems like a bizarre gimmick but what the hell, got the bottle for free, have registered my code so now have a plot allegedly...its prob the only opportunity I'm likely to have in my life to own some land!

Edited by chuffer

Oh and if you get a bottle of laphroig select you apparently get a free square foot plot of land on islay...seems like a bizarre gimmick but what the hell, got the bottle for free, have registered my code so now have a plot allegedly...its prob the only opportunity I'm likely to have in my life to own some land!

Any bottle of Laphroaig comes with a little leaflet with a code on it, keep them and the code gets you rewards.  Nothing exciting but better than nowt.

Right gang

Going to see the chap who sponsors my cricket team next week. He only drinks Whisky. I'm pretty sure its Speyside as a rule.

Do you have a good recommendation for a bottle to say thank you (and please give us some money for next year)

Budget £40-50

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Mister C