Whisky

Glenfarclas 15yo might be worth a shot, at around the £45 mark.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Niece and her partner have taken over The Royal Oak in Wirksworth Derbyshire. They have a nice selection of real ales. Jim had his own brewery and is in the process of converting the old stables ( it was a coaching inn) to start up again.

But, back on track to finish the night I had a couple of whiskys. I was delighted to see they had " bunny heaven" and as I hadn't tried it and had seen the recommendations on here I started on that. I found it very nice but was a tad disappointed as I like a bit more smokiness. Jim recommended I tried the Port Charlotte. I was surprised that it was only 4 years old as it was much more like the Islays I know.

Just as an aside on the beer pumps there was TT's Landlord, Oakham Ales "" Citra", Hartington, Shipyard an American Pale ale.Hocus Pocus, Draught Bass and Mann Dark Mild which I started with and enjoyed.

I tried them all ( just to be sociable)

He has a nice collection of gins and a bottled tonic with Angosturo bitters already in. My Daughter said it was lovely.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Was it an open bottle? I find Islay whiskies lose some of their bite if left open too long, say more than three months.

Bunnahabhain has always been the connoisseur Islay though, more of a relaxer rather than the in-your-face Laphroaig.

Said as I sit back with a nice Laphroaig...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Bit disappointed in my now relegated from top 3 whisky.

All the 12 14 16 yr old stuff from the old days has just about gone or its now costing a mint for a bottle....

The new stuff just is a pale shadow of its former self.

For the first time in 3 decades it may not sit on my sideboard this Christmas....

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Was it an open bottle? I find Islay whiskies lose some of their bite if left open too long, say more than three months.

Bunnahabhain has always been the connoisseur Islay though, more of a relaxer rather than the in-your-face Laphroaig.

Said as I sit back with a nice Laphroaig...

You have a bottle that's been open for three months! :O  Don't you ever take your empties to the recycle centre?  :tongue:

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

You have a bottle that's been open for three months! :O Don't you ever take your empties to the recycle centre? :tongue:

I meant if you go to a pub or bar and order one. An infrequently drunk bottle will just sit for ages and I'd not be surprised years in some cases.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

An infrequently drunk bottle of whisky???

Nope... sorry cocker.... I'm going to need more explanation.....

Sideboard life at chateau ginge is measured in hours..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For those who may be looking for a bargain there are some good deals poping up on Amazon for whisky. Laphroaig Quarter Cask is going for £24.99 a bottle normally at least £10 more per bottle. Although a NAS whisky it is actually half decent dram for those who like Islay whiskies.

It may now be a yuletide quintet seeing as I've just bought an Asyla from compass box. My favourite blend. A mix of Clynelish and Ledaig. It punches well above its weight.

• 2 weeks later...

Having now tried a few JW blended whiskies I am no longer such a single malt snob, there are some pretty decent blends out there.

Not so long back I spent a happy morning at duty free at Terminal 5 with a friendly salesperson who was more than happy to let me try all sorts of whisky. I still prefer Islay but I am now open to trying other whiskies.

Having now tried a few JW blended whiskies I am no longer such a single malt snob, there are some pretty decent blends out there.

Not so long back I spent a happy morning at duty free at Terminal 5 with a friendly salesperson who was more than happy to let me try all sorts of whisky. I still prefer Islay but I am now open to trying other whiskies.

Sorry Tim, but I will stick to Islay.

I dont trust your judgement 'cos I know you have odd tastes!

As an aside whilst I have you on ignore in another place I make an exception for the posts you make on here. Im very forgiving like that.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Sorry Tim, but I will stick to Islay.

I dont trust your judgement 'cos I know you have odd tastes!

As an aside whilst I have you on ignore in another place I make an exception for the posts you make on here. Im very forgiving like that.

No worries, don't think we will ever see eye to eye. Happy to be ignored, I have two kids so I'm quite used to it  ;)

The JW Green Label and Double Black have a fair dose of Islay in them and are a pretty decent drink.

I am sat here with a glass of Laphroaigh Quarter Cask which is rather good despite being a NAS - decent kick to it and the flavour lasts a good while. Worth a try if you could lower yourself to listening to a rah rah.... 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Aldi have got out their 'limited release' single malts.  No age statement and no clear notice about which distillery (one blog suggests Aldi have an arrangement with Dalmore) but £17.49 for a verified single malt.  I picked up a Highland this morning, they also had a Speyside available.  Apparently once they're sold out that's it for the year.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Aldi have got out their 'limited release' single malts.  No age statement and no clear notice about which distillery (one blog suggests Aldi have an arrangement with Dalmore) but £17.49 for a verified single malt.  I picked up a Highland this morning, they also had a Speyside available.  Apparently once they're sold out that's it for the year.

I got one of their Islay ones last year and it was abysmal in comparison to the £30-ish range Islay single malts.  Probably worth the price at £17.49 but then cheap price isn't why I enjoy whisky.

Asda used to do their Islay at around £20 and it actually was very good, a genuine bargain with a genuinely good whisky, last year's was abysmal as well.  They've also gone down the no age route as well.

These are usually off-cuts of what the distilleries can't sell but they now seem to be knocking out absolute rubbish young whisky that does nothing but taint the Islay brand.  It used to be a good challenge tasting these rebranded whiskies and finding the parent distillery, now you'd be better going to your local corner shop and buying a moderate blended whisky.

Sainsbury's own label Highland is pretty decent, but their current Speyside is disappointing. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson