Whisky

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Sainsbury's own label Highland is pretty decent, but their current Speyside is disappointing. 

I've had the Sainsbury's Highland a couple of times and it's been excellent. 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, ckn said:

I got one of their Islay ones last year and it was abysmal in comparison to the £30-ish range Islay single malts.  Probably worth the price at £17.49 but then cheap price isn't why I enjoy whisky.

Asda used to do their Islay at around £20 and it actually was very good, a genuine bargain with a genuinely good whisky, last year's was abysmal as well.  They've also gone down the no age route as well.

These are usually off-cuts of what the distilleries can't sell but they now seem to be knocking out absolute rubbish young whisky that does nothing but taint the Islay brand.  It used to be a good challenge tasting these rebranded whiskies and finding the parent distillery, now you'd be better going to your local corner shop and buying a moderate blended whisky.

I've been burnt by a couple of "proper" labels recently.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

45 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I've been burnt by a couple of "proper" labels recently.

No age, no quality. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

58 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Scapa has gone to the dogs

Not as much as Jura. I assume they got bought up by a big conglomerate, as you can find it even in corner shops these days, and it all seems to be 'special edition' labels and no quality.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

No aged stuff available now from scapa. The quality has gone from a lovely heathery salty fragrant top drawer whisky .... one of my personal favs.... to sheeite almost overnight..yes there was a change of owners after a dormant period..... far from a change for the good. Very disappointed.

Arran however, go from strength to strength....

42 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Not as much as Jura. I assume they got bought up by a big conglomerate, as you can find it even in corner shops these days, and it all seems to be 'special edition' labels and no quality.

Jura is one of the ones I was talking about. Age statement, heritage etc ... absolute bilge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ckn said:

No age, no quality. 

It may the general ambience (I'm on the laptop in the garden, editing photos, listening to the Cubs score four in the first inning at Milwaukee (and the police sirens wail by)) but this is alright. A little harsh on first sip but surprisingly mellow after that.

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2017 at 4:01 PM, Gerrumonside ref said:

Bought myself the Monkey Shoulder blend.

It's okay, but I should have got a nice bottle of JW really.

My favourite single malt has to be Tomintoul or Royal Lochnagar.

On 4/9/2017 at 4:14 PM, chuffer said:

yes indeed, the green one (14yrs?) is still one of my faves

On 4/9/2017 at 0:59 PM, Futtocks said:

Hey!...Hey!...Hey all of you guys have really been missing the kayak for years on this whiskey thing...thank God the Toronto Wolfpack have joined League and some of your 'travelling fans' will be able to taste the REAL stuff over here!  You've been missing out for years...everyone over here knows Canadian whiskey is the best in the world period...the Yanks can't get enough of the stuff.

Canada is to whiskey as England is to pale ale.  You're going to love our product: both the whiskey AND the Wolfpack!

41 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Hey!...Hey!...Hey all of you guys have really been missing the kayak for years on this whiskey thing...thank God the Toronto Wolfpack have joined League and some of your 'travelling fans' will be able to taste the REAL stuff over here!  You've been missing out for years...everyone over here knows Canadian whiskey is the best in the world period...the Yanks can't get enough of the stuff.

Canada is to whiskey as England is to pale ale.  You're going to love our product: both the whiskey AND the Wolfpack!

When I was in Calgary, my friend introduced me to Canadian whisky. It was ok, most tasted like light highland whisky with one or two touching on Speyside. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

Let's have some recommendations, then. Especially if there's any Canadian distilleries making whisky similar to Islay style.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, ckn said:

When I was in Calgary, my friend introduced me to Canadian whisky. It was ok, most tasted like light highland whisky with one or two touching on Speyside. 

There are many different kinds...rye having the greatest number of blends...many different distillers.

There are also great single malts but the official group in Scotland won't certify them (I'm not exactly sure how it works but they have been blocked somehow).  Something to do with using the official term 'Glen'?

Canada is a huge country with many different types popular in certain areas...some better...some worse.

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Let's have some recommendations, then. Especially if there's any Canadian distilleries making whisky similar to Islay style.

People argue over this all the time but the best Scotch (and this is said to be (by people I've met who should know) the best Scotch in the world!), but the official organization won't certify it because they are afraid of the competition (sound  Familiar:TWP?)   The distillery is called 'Glenora' (you can Google it to see how it compares to other Scotch types).

The finest rye whiskey in the world is generally accepted to be 'Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye' (it is smoooooooth and tasty!)

Both are a little pricey for my tastes!

On 2017-5-26 at 1:55 PM, Kayakman said:

People argue over this all the time but the best Scotch (and this is said to be (by people I've met who should know) the best Scotch in the world!), but the official organization won't certify it because they are afraid of the competition (sound  Familiar:TWP?)   The distillery is called 'Glenora' (you can Google it to see how it compares to other Scotch types).

The finest rye whiskey in the world is generally accepted to be 'Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye' (it is smoooooooth and tasty!)

Both are a little pricey for my tastes!

Now you have wandered into the minefield of spelling it with an e!

Irish whiskey and Scottish whisky! Being from N Ireland I will simply point out that the oldest distillary in the world , with a licence dating back to 1608 is Bushmills in N Ireland! 

The Black Bush special reserve is a drink to savour!

Just now, kiyan said:

Now you have wandered into the minefield of spelling it with an e!

Irish whiskey and Scottish whisky! Being from N Ireland I will simply point out that the oldest distillary in the world , with a licence dating back to 1608 is Bushmills in N Ireland! 

The Black Bush special reserve is a drink to savour!

I'll take your word on it my friend, you sound like you know what you are talking about and my wife hasn't let me near the stuff for years!

Indeed, we have our own spelling over here..different than American or Britain.

We do have great whiskey in Canada.  As I'm sure you know there was a very high percentage of Scottish Highlanders who came over after 'The Clearances' and they brought their distilling skills with them..this was further complimented by our beloved Irish who came in droves after both of the potato famines...they made a great 'COMBO' and voila: Canadian Whiskey (almost always 'RYE'); way , way better than that rot gut they serve south of us!

This is the extent of my knowledge on the matter.

All the best to you and yours!

21 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I'll take your word on it my friend, you sound like you know what you are talking about and my wife hasn't let me near the stuff for years!

Indeed, we have our own spelling over here..different than American or Britain.

We do have great whiskey in Canada.  As I'm sure you know there was a very high percentage of Scottish Highlanders who came over after 'The Clearances' and they brought their distilling skills with them..this was further complimented by our beloved Irish who came in droves after both of the potato famines...they made a great 'COMBO' and voila: Canadian Whiskey (almost always 'RYE'); way , way better than that rot gut they serve south of us!

This is the extent of my knowledge on the matter.

All the best to you and yours!

In my late teens, my drink of choice was Canadian Whiskey, but as I have matured and been able to afford whatever I want to try, the Irish stuff is the one that most impressed.

However, I think you miss my point on that American Whiskey is spelt with an e, which is the Irish spelling of the word, which implies that it was the Irish (not the Scottish) who introduced it to N America.

:search:

I was raised in a very close tight knit Irish community (locals call it the Promised Land) ...buried my brother last year and a large part of the Mass was in Gaelic...I've drank alot of Irish Whisky (always wondered why it was spelt different on the cases of Jamiesons (probably spelt that wrong too!) and Canadian Whiskey too...problem is once I got started...well I'm sure you know what I mean (lots of times made the best speech I would ever regret).

Learned two  true facts growing up on the farm though:

!) If an Irishman says it it must be true and,

2) If an Irishman is drinking 'whisky' and says it...its TOTALLY true!  That is a fact...this is Gods own truth!

"May the wind always be at your back in a following sea...may your kayak always run with the wave!"

Just now, kiyan said:

In my late teens, my drink of choice was Canadian Whiskey, but as I have matured and been able to afford whatever I want to try, the Irish stuff is the one that most impressed.

However, I think you miss my point on that American Whiskey is spelt with an e, which is the Irish spelling of the word, which implies that it was the Irish (not the Scottish) who introduced it to N America.

:search:

Wrote you a reply Kiyan but didn't quote you so you know on this older thread...will quote you on this end soy ou see the message above...I'm such a Klutz with the computer sometimes...

"Honey get me another shot of that good Irish stuff will you Babe?"

• Like 1

On 5/26/2017 at 7:00 AM, Kayakman said:

So, here I am at Toronto airport drinking Crown Royal with Fuifui and the Wolfpack ( who are still smarting from being eaten by the Bears)

your right Kayakman it's pretty good !!!

• Like 2

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Just now, Bearman said:

So, here I am at Toronto airport drinking Crown Royal with Fuifui and the Wolfpack ( who are still smarting from being eaten by the Bears)

your right Kayakman it's pretty good !!!

Theres no doubt about it Bearman...you are always on the ball and no ones fool!  Hope you got out Okay without too much stress...I'm really glad you enjoyed your time in Canada...not such a bad place!

• 4 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, chuffer said:

a mate has given me a bottle of cardhu gold reserve as a pressie, haven't had it before and may well crack it open (though it is a school night) hold tight for feedback!....

its not bad, quite light and smooth with a hint of toffee. No particular lasting aftertaste though, its kind of like a cheap glenmorangie...there's prob much better whiskies out there to enjoy but then I got this for free so cant complain!