Whisky

19 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

jura for me, but im not realy a whisky buff- so am sure theres nicer

Jura's not what it used to be.

Check out your local supermarket's 'own label' single malts. A mixed bunch, but some are exceptional value for money.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Currently about halfway through a bottle of Highland Park. In cricketing terms, it's an all-rounder - a touch of smoke to appease the Islay fiends, sweet enough for the Speysiders and a little fire for the Highland fans.

Also, discounted to £26 in my local supermarket.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Singleton Tailfire for 20 quid????

Aye alreight.....

Where, for God's sake, where?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Local Tesco..... gobsmacked. Got two??

Happy days

I'll have to see if my local Tesco has got any in stock. I had the Tailfire a while back, and remember enjoying it quite a lot.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 minutes ago, chuffer said:

aldi's glen marnoch speyside single malt is getting some good press at the moment, for winning blind taste test awards and coming in at £17 a bottle t'boot

My curiosity is piqued. The local Aldi may be getting a visit soon... 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 4 weeks later...

It's not everyday someone says here 5k whisky.... fill thi booits....

An excellent collection laid before us to celebrate my mates 60th.

Highlights were a 17 yr old cask strength Arran... a 14 yr old cask strength clynelish.... a 15 year old personally bottled cask strength old Pultney and a 30 year  old Glen Farclas.

A good night.

20170915_175002.jpg

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:39 AM, Robin Evans said:

Highlights were a 17 yr old cask strength Arran... a 14 yr old cask strength clynelish.... a 15 year old personally bottled cask strength old Pultney and a 30 year  old Glen Farclas.

A good night.

20170915_175002.jpg

wowzers....bet there were some sore heads the next day!

On 17/09/2017 at 10:39 AM, Robin Evans said:

A good night.

20170915_175002.jpg

Clynelish and Glenfarclas - two great single malts, there.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 9/17/2017 at 10:39 AM, Robin Evans said:

A good night.

20170915_175002.jpg

For my choice from there, I'd be looking to secret away that Bunnahabhain I see hiding in the back right of that picture.  That Glenfarclas 25yo would also be high on the list for a taste or two.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I got a bottle of Talisker as a gift and it had a freebie glass with it, a round bottomed glass.  I've never really trusted those things and put them down to those who like gimmicks.  I know it's supposed to help circulate the stuff by giving it a gentle nudge and seeing it swirl but, well, just sodding drink it, don't play with it.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

There were some beauties in there. The pot dubh, a 30yo glenfarclas (cost a small fortune) and other rarities that my mate has collected when we've been on our travels.

In fairness, I did have a few of the special ones but then out of politeness and not wanting to look a bit of a twt, after 4-5 drama of some of the nice stuff I dropped down and sampled some of his other bloody good whiskies.

Bruicladdich and Glen Livet still shine.

It was a good night. I was a little foggy on Saturday morning

• 2 weeks later...

Highland Park 12 Year Old 'Viking Honour' was discounted by £10 in my local Sainsbury's today.

Of course I bought a bottle!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm supping on an aldi glen marnoch highland, its nice indeed but I couldn't get hold of the award winning speyside. Hey ho...apparently this run of glen marnoch is getting discontinued according to a member of aldi staff so if you fancy a drop at £17 which is nay bad at all, then get down to your local aldi before stocks run dry

With a few minutes to spare before catching my train home from Barrow, I nipped into the Tesco Express near the station to buy a sandwich and spotted they had an offer on Haig Club, "Clubman" single grain finished in Bourbon casks. £15.00 (£11.75p OFF).

Thinking that was worth a punt I bought some to celebrate the Raiders promotion when I got home. 

VERY nice. Highly recommended. I will be searching my local store tomorrow.

Edited by Bearman
Spelling

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

6 minutes ago, Bearman said:

With a few minutes to spare before catching my train home from Barrow, I nipped into the Tesco Express near the station to buy a sandwich and spotted they had an offer on Haig Club, "Clubman" single grain finished in Bourbon casks. £15.00 (£11.75p OFF).

Thinking that was worth a punt I bought some to celebrate the Raiders promotion when I got home. 

VERY nice. Highly recommended. I will be searching my local store tomorrow.

Speaking of bargains.....dip your bread

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-41461592

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

• 4 weeks later...