Whisky

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

In addition to that fine young chap Futtock's advice

Cheers Craig, although...is there another Futtocks on here that I'm unaware of? :huh:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

Cheers guys.

I'm not 100% green as regards whisky though, tbh.

At the moment I'm two thirds the way through a Talisker single malt and am quite enjoying it although I went to a whisky tasting night in the Whalebone on Sunday and one of those really hit the mark. Can't remember :biggrin: the name but I seem to remember the landlord saying it was a £70 bottle.

So I'll give this Tesco Laphroaig a try and report back. :good:

I'd unreservedly recommend you buy it.

Then give it to me if you don't like it.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

49 minutes ago, Ullman said:

I'd unreservedly recommend you buy it.

Then give it to me if you don't like it.

I had this vague idea you'd suggest summat like that.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

If you're new to whisky, be alert to the fact that Laphroaig is one of the most polarising malts you can buy.

I love it, and many do, while some other whisky fans run a mile.

yep, TCP alert!

tbf I don't mind it these days but initially thought it too "medicinal" for my palate

My Talisker single malt now has a couple of friends....they were both on offer, I might add.

20180220_210353.jpg

31 minutes ago, chuffer said:

think Tesco are also doing highland park for roughly the same price....much better Imo, fruity/spicy rather than peaty/smoky

Highland Park is a great all-rounder. There's still some smoke there, but it covers other bases too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 20/02/2018 at 5:35 PM, ckn said:

In addition to that fine young chap Futtock's advice, for your first shot at Islay whiskies (there's only 8 of them and the bottles will all say it) don't be afraid to half and half it with water.

Be aware this is a good mark of someone who hasn't a clue what they're talking about, many of the more robust Islay whiskies are far better with a touch of water.  I met the Laphroaig master distiller a few years ago and he was very clear that cask strength Islays MUST have at least a touch of water or you're missing much of the flavour that the water releases.

It's pretty common in Ireland to drink whiskey with water. My favourite pub in Dublin gives you a jug of water as standard with any whiskey.

It's actually physiologically impossible for the human tongue to detect any kind of subtle flavour in a cask strength without some dilution so as you say any faux "purist" who objects hasn't a clue.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, damp squib said:

It's pretty common in Ireland to drink whiskey with water. My favourite pub in Dublin gives you a jug of water as standard with any whiskey.

It's actually physiologically impossible for the human tongue to detect any kind of subtle flavour in a cask strength without some dilution so as you say any faux "purist" who objects hasn't a clue.

Drink your whisky however you want to drink it. It's your whisky - enjoy it.

I speak as someone who puts their red wine in the fridge so I know what I'm talking about.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I think I may have told this story before, forgive me if I have...

When we went to Dublin for a short break, we called in at the Jamesons distillery to do their tour, at 1030. During the initial presentation we were asked for 1x Male & 1 x Female volunteer. Me being me, volunteered. We weren't told what is was for.

When we got to the bar at the end of the tour the guide asked for the volunteers.

We were then Blindfolded at a table and three Irish Whiskies, Jamesons, Paddy & Power, and 3 scotch's a single malt & 2 blends, were put in front of us, and we were told to taste all 6, and say which was our favourites.

They were quite large measures, but I got through all six. I chose the Paddy as my favourite, the young lady chose Jamesons. we got half bottles of each. When we were leaving at 1130 I realised I was probably more drunk than I ever had been at that time of a Saturday morning.

Edited by Bleep1673
Swear word
  • Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:27 PM, ckn said:

I tried that Aldi stuff and I don’t get what people see in it. It’s had good reviews but it tastes like minimum age meths rather than proper whisky. I couldn’t get on with it despite trying it on a few occasions and asking the wife to just pour me a random whisky from that, the Asda one and a proper Islay Laphroaig. The Aldi one always came out as “yech, that’s the Aldi one, isn’t it?” when I tried it 

There's a very good chance that it's not the same whisky at all in every batch. The one I had was more than decent.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

54 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Isn't Irish & Scotch Whisky and Whiskey spelt differently? I can never remember which way round they are.

The story is that Irish is Whiskey and Scotch is Whisky but like most of these things it's only really taken off in modern times as a marketing ploy (like the Guinness two part pour).

Scotch and Irish distilleries have used both spellings at various points in history.

The real insurmountable difference is between Uisce Beatha (Irish Gaelic) and Uisge Beatha (Scottish Gaelic).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, damp squib said:

The story is that Irish is Whiskey and Scotch is Whisky but like most of these things it's only really taken off in modern times as a marketing ploy (like the Guinness two part pour).

Scotch and Irish distilleries have used both spellings at various points in history.

The real insurmountable difference is between Uisce Beatha (Irish Gaelic) and Uisge Beatha (Scottish Gaelic).

Water of Life?

• Like 1

On 20/02/2018 at 9:20 PM, Old Frightful said:

My Talisker single malt now has a couple of friends....they were both on offer, I might add.

20180220_210353.jpg

have you tried a wee dram of each of them yet? If so, it would be interesting to find out which one you prefer.....I've tried all of them and would say my order of preference would be the Ardmore (if it's the 12yrs old one it looks like?), Laphroigh then the Talisker Skye

Edited by chuffer

The Ardmore is the one on offer at Tesco at the moment for £21, it's called the Ardmore Legacy Single Malt and doesn't indicate it's age so I'm guessing its probably not quite as nice as yours. I've not tried them all one after the other yet but hope to do later and will report back.

3 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

The Ardmore is the one on offer at Tesco at the moment for £21, it's called the Ardmore Legacy Single Malt and doesn't indicate it's age

I think we can safely say it won't see its next birthday.

• Haha 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Determined to reward myself for my new job, I picked up some of The Glenlivet Founder's Reserve from the supermarket yesterday.

In the UK (apparently) this will now be replacing The Glenlivet 12 year old. With no age statement it's pretty obvious that they're just looking for ways of getting their whisky out in bulk without being tied down.

Anyway, it's decent. It was on sale and at that price (£24) it's absolutely worth it. Not particularly complex but still obviously related to the brand and a nice, sweet taste.

• Like 1

On 20/02/2018 at 9:20 PM, Old Frightful said:

20180220_210353.jpg

If you find you like the really really peaty smokey taste of the Laphroaig (my wife hates it and thinks it smells like a new road) then watch out for when the Laphroaig Quarter Cask is on offer as that is like a concentrated version of the same - Laphroaig on Steroids.

I have a couple of bottles from last time Waitrose were knocking it out at £22 (it is also cask strength)

You might also find this link useful - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DLjP57pa5ntE4DkytpC9rBHFmjCJR7c0OcHAVbjmBl8/edit#gid=0

It is a constantly updated list of supermarket spirit prices complete with historic low prices to compare to

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Anyone else tried Royal Lochnagar?

Yes, but too long ago for any clear memories. I certainly didn't dislike it, though.

Some customer reviews here, which are mostly very positive: https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/4398/royal-lochnagar-12-year-old

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

50 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Anyone else tried Royal Lochnagar?

Would be interested to hear views on any of the high end blended whiskies too (if that is not devil speak!)

I’m thinking about taking a punt on a Johnnie Walker Gold Label, but have no idea if it is worth the extra.

Compass box Asyla is my fav blend.... but being prominently clynelish and ledaig that's not really surprising.

Similarly I bought a royal lochnagar a couple of years back at clynelish distillery. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

Clynelish is way my fav at the mo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Compass box Asyla is my fav blend.... but being prominently clynelish and ledaig that's not really surprising.

Similarly I bought a royal lochnagar a couple of years back at clynelish distillery. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

Clynelish is way my fav at the mo.

Clynelish is a great malt. If you could lay your hands on some Brora (made in the original Clynelish distillery), that'd be right up your street... if not for the spiralling price of the stuff (a bottle went for over £14,000 a few years ago).

I bought a bottle of Brora, back when it was normally-priced, and it was a beauty. However, Diageo are re-opening the old distillery, and plan to produce new whisky there from about 2020.

Ralph Waldo Emerson