Whisky

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Interesting, I’m on one of their tours in half an hour and have a few questions to ask.

Their tasting tours come in a few formats including a world whisky tour where they pit their finest against the best in the world.

It’s a nice little setup although I can only really compare it to a speyside distillery tour I’ve once been on where we sampled some Royal Lochnagar (formerly the favourite tipple of Victoria and Albert).

Maybe like English wine it is an area of expertise that English distilleries might get better at with time.  I think water quality may be an issue as ckn has mentioned in the past.

Do me a favour and ask how they cope with the really rubbish water in that area.  I live in Suffolk and the Norfolk/Suffolk water is abysmally heavy with lots of calcium sediment, I can't see how they can match the pure water of the Scottish highlands and islands with the chewy water in East Anglia.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Do me a favour and ask how they cope with the really rubbish water in that area.  I live in Suffolk and the Norfolk/Suffolk water is abysmally heavy with lots of calcium sediment, I can't see how they can match the pure water of the Scottish highlands and islands with the chewy water in East Anglia.

They did address that point and in their view the harder water just brought different flavours, that’s all, not a deal breaker the Scots would have you believe. 

They did mention two interesting things which is that the warm climate compared to Scotland meant that more was lost due to evaporation during to maturation process and also that the malted barley that is used by a lot of the Scottish distilleries comes directly from East Anglia.

To be honest I’m sold on what is a small family operation and wish them a lot of success in a non partisan type of a way.  It seems like they’re wary of the competition from Adnans in Southwold who have successfully made gin as well as beer which shows they have potential to make whisky too.

I think you’re right about your earlier point about reputational damage from early releases and they’re definitely rebranding and moving into a market whereby they’re selling based on easy recognition of taste by labelling products in a simple way.

Anyway I enjoyed the tour and tried a good range from their special whisky and rye release which is almost like a bourbon through to their peaty smoke laden efforts.

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

They did address that point and in their view the harder water just brought different flavours, that’s all, not a deal breaker the Scots would have you believe. 

They did mention two interesting things which is that the warm climate compared to Scotland meant that more was lost due to evaporation during to maturation process and also that the malted barley that is used by a lot of the Scottish distilleries comes directly from East Anglia.

To be honest I’m sold on what is a small family operation and wish them a lot of success in a non partisan type of a way.  It seems like they’re wary of the competition from Adnans in Southwold who have successfully made gin as well as beer which shows they have potential to make whisky too.

I think you’re right about your earlier point about reputational damage from early releases and they’re definitely rebranding and moving into a market whereby they’re selling based on easy recognition of taste by labelling products in a simple way.

Anyway I enjoyed the tour and tried a good range from their special whisky and rye release which is almost like a bourbon through to their peaty smoke laden efforts.

Paragraph by paragraph:

1. I don't buy that for a second.  One thing you can notice in other whiskies throughout the world is the quality of water.  That's why the Japanese whiskies are so good, their water quality/content is very close to the islands of Scotland.  The water in this area is so hard that it killed a water softener we had fitted, it just smears everything and you can almost chew the hardness in the water.

2. The "angel's share" is always a problem, the Americans especially find it hard as the dry heat of many of their whiskEy making places are in dry, hot locations and they lose around twice that of the Scottish whisky places.

3. I agree, it's why I was so disappointed with the first tastes of it.  I like the differences in taste you get from different areas and was looking forward to it.  I do hope they can mature over the years and not fall into the unaged mass-market rubbish that has wrecked the reputations of previously good whiskies, such as Jura.

4. Their first branding was nationalism on a bottle essentially.  They should take lessons from the Welsh whisky lot who make Penderyn as that's very subtly done, picking up a bit of national pride in their Welsh origins but not ramming it down the throats of the buyers.

5. Book yourself a Feis Ile tour for one year around the Scottish whisky isles, you'll certainly test your liver's recovery rates!  It's their peaty one I'll try again if I can get one but it'll have to be good otherwise they'll subconsciously go into the "junk whiskies" pile like so many others these days.

Cheers for the feedback!

• Thanks 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

46 minutes ago, ckn said:

Paragraph by paragraph:

1. I don't buy that for a second.  One thing you can notice in other whiskies throughout the world is the quality of water.  That's why the Japanese whiskies are so good, their water quality/content is very close to the islands of Scotland.  The water in this area is so hard that it killed a water softener we had fitted, it just smears everything and you can almost chew the hardness in the water.

2. The "angel's share" is always a problem, the Americans especially find it hard as the dry heat of many of their whiskEy making places are in dry, hot locations and they lose around twice that of the Scottish whisky places.

3. I agree, it's why I was so disappointed with the first tastes of it.  I like the differences in taste you get from different areas and was looking forward to it.  I do hope they can mature over the years and not fall into the unaged mass-market rubbish that has wrecked the reputations of previously good whiskies, such as Jura.

4. Their first branding was nationalism on a bottle essentially.  They should take lessons from the Welsh whisky lot who make Penderyn as that's very subtly done, picking up a bit of national pride in their Welsh origins but not ramming it down the throats of the buyers.

5. Book yourself a Feis Ile tour for one year around the Scottish whisky isles, you'll certainly test your liver's recovery rates!  It's their peaty one I'll try again if I can get one but it'll have to be good otherwise they'll subconsciously go into the "junk whiskies" pile like so many others these days.

Cheers for the feedback!

They do a set of three miniatures including the smoky one, a sherry cask one and their ‘original’ for £14.99 if you fancy sampling without going all in.

Two of those have picked up awards apparently.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:49 AM, timtum said:

I was given a bottle of Chivas Regal 18 by some nice Hong Kong people that I helped out in Paris a couple of years ago.

In a fit of charitable benevolence I donated it to the local SPA dogs home event near Carcassonne the other week.  They ran a no lose tombola and some bloke walked up, paid 2 euros for his ticket, and swiftly headed off with fifty odd quids of hooch.  

The Whisky Gods being as they are, my big brother appeared the following week with a bottle of Quarter Cask Laphroaig.  Sod the dogs, this is going tummywards.

I've also worked on building 12 new storage sheds for Chivas Regal at a little village called Beith just West of Glasgow in the last two years.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

• 4 weeks later...

Shared a half size bottle (only got two wee drams each out of it mind) of glenfiddich 15 .... Had forgotten how nice this stuff is....much better than the 12 and personally preferable to the 18...a nice, sweet fruity flavour to it....think my next purchase will have to be the full size bottle

My birthday gifts so far today:

- 1 x Laphroaig 15yo
- 2 x Bunnahabhain 12yo
- 1 x Lagavulin 15yo
- 1 x Ardbeg 10yo

and 1 x Smirnoff black label vodka.  This stuff is fantastic for a vodka, very smooth and perfect for drinking neat when slightly chilled.

I think I've been pigeon-holed by my family and friends just that little bit...

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

- 1 x Laphroaig 15yo
- 2 x Bunnahabhain 12yo
- 1 x Lagavulin 15yo
- 1 x Ardbeg 10yo

and 1 x Smirnoff black label vodka.  This stuff is fantastic for a vodka, very smooth and perfect for drinking neat when slightly chilled.

I think I've been pigeon-holed by my family and friends just that little bit...

You'll be needing a lot of ginger ale to mix with that lot

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/29/2018 at 5:31 PM, Copa said:

I’ve only ever had whiskey twice in my life. The second time was a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it and might have to give it another try

I asked my friend about the whiskey he gave me that I enjoyed. He has a few and didn’t know which one I had.

So for Father’s Day last weekend I asked my partner for either a bottle of whiskey or a bottle of spiced rum..... she bought me a bottle of Spicebox spiced whiskey instead as she thought it’d cover both of my gift suggestions. ?  It’s nice for what it is but didn’t quite scratch my itch. To scratch that itch I bought some Bowmore small batch single malt whiskey. I have not tried it yet.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:00 PM, ckn said:

- 1 x Laphroaig 15yo
- 2 x Bunnahabhain 12yo
- 1 x Lagavulin 15yo
- 1 x Ardbeg 10yo

Slainte mhath, ckn, agus Alba gu brath!

Edited by Wiltshire Warrior Dragon
spelling mistake
  • Thanks 1

A little something i tried tonight which i recommend...i have a 15yr old glenfiddich which is lovely and sherry sweet....for some daft reason i opted to squeeze the juice of a couple of tangerine segments into the glass...the result is all the original flavour but the sharp alcohol edge taken off which results in a smooth flavour....this whisky is sweet and fruity anyway but not sure how it would go with the smokier, peatier drams 

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Sorrento, Italy, I got a rather hard to find and very nice cask strength Finlaggan from a booze shop called The Corner Shop. They have a damn nice collection of really good whisky at decent prices, I may stretch my suitcase weight allowances. Have to do it this year as next I may have to pay duty...

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the Lakes Distillery at the weekend situated just outside Keswick and very near a stretch of the River Derwent.

Did the tour and tasted samples of their young whisky, vodka and gin.  

It’s a beautiful part of the world and their main focus is whisky, but they have diversified into vodka and gin to help things ticking over while the whisky ages.

They believe in terms of water source, they have the potential to match the quality of the more traditional whisky producing areas in Scotland in the future.

I bought a blend they were selling of English and Scottish whisky which is smooth and a little smokey called Steel Bonnets.

Be interesting to see how this distillery gets on.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Has anyone tried the Glenfiddich IPA ? I like the "normal" Gelenfiddich but was wondering about the IPA version

I tried some whisky beer at a distillery in Norfolk earlier in the year which was interesting.

If you like hoppy beer then this whisky might be up your street as it has been aged in IPA beer casks.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 05/11/2018 at 20:41, Gerrumonside ref said:

Went to the Lakes Distillery at the weekend situated just outside Keswick and very near a stretch of the River Derwent.

Did the tour and tasted samples of their young whisky, vodka and gin.  

It’s a beautiful part of the world and their main focus is whisky, but they have diversified into vodka and gin to help things ticking over while the whisky ages.

They believe in terms of water source, they have the potential to match the quality of the more traditional whisky producing areas in Scotland in the future.

I bought a blend they were selling of English and Scottish whisky which is smooth and a little smokey called Steel Bonnets.

Be interesting to see how this distillery gets on.

Steel Bonnets. 0.0005% Lakes whiskey, 99.995% scotch whiskey.  Absolute cheek calling it a blend if you ask me.

Cardhu Gold reserve, excellent whisky, only £25.00 in some supermarkets. Normally £42.00 so a real bargain for a quality whisky.

• 1 month later...

The Laphroaig distillery has released its latest cask strength 10yo today, if you buy it from them directly and get the excellent Cairdeas cask strength as well in the bundle then you get freebies thrown in.

You may have to register as a “Friend” first to get the deal though, not sure as the website can be a bit fussy at times.

Be quick with it though as the 10yo cask strength usually sells out damnably quickly.

I bought a whisky.

Its Japanese. 

Thats all i know.

My friend has 11 bottles of Hibiki 17 year old.. its worth roughly a grand a bottle. He knew they were due to stop making it apprently so stocked up. Wonder if he will give me one.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

I bought what might have been the last bottle of compass box Asyla available in the UK from a gaff in Derbyshire yesterday..... its one of my fav blends.... quite remarkable considering its 50% grain whisky...... i love it.

Its now discontinued with no plans to blend more due to supply issues. 

Edited by Robin Evans

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This year’s two cask strength Laphroaig variants. I opened the 10yo CS and it’s bloody lovely, even better than usual. Good job I got two bottles of each. 

33517A7A-EB4E-4E7F-B1C0-B1A1ED5182CC.jpeg

• Like 2