Whisky

Now I know we’re in purgatory where we’re being made to work off our sins by having to put up with such idiocy. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 17/09/2019 at 22:24, ckn said:

This year’s two cask strength Laphroaig variants. I opened the 10yo CS and it’s bloody lovely, even better than usual. Good job I got two bottles of each. 

33517A7A-EB4E-4E7F-B1C0-B1A1ED5182CC.jpeg

Never tried this despite seeing the distinctive packaging a lot  and this has inspired me to break my duck.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

Right I’ve ordered myself a little tasting sampler as something to look forward too:

-Tyrconnell (Irish Whiskey, Cooley distillery)

-Locke’s 8 (Irish Whiskey, Cooley distillery)

-Bunnahabhain 11 year old Single Malt Batch 5 (Scotch Whisky, Boutique-y Whisky Company)

-Johnnie Walker Blue (Blend)

-Laphroaig Triple Wood Single Malt (Islay Scotch Whisky)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ckn said:

Now I know we’re in purgatory where we’re being made to work off our sins by having to put up with such idiocy. 

The decline and fall of Western civilisation, part 5,216.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Glenlivet obviously let the cat out of the bag early with this press release.

Long time until 1st of April.

What in the name of God were they thinking?

Recently graduated "marketing whizz" by any chance - anything to do with Alan Sugar d'ya think?

I suppose they'd make a nice change from my cod liver oil capsules in the morning...

Edited by BryanC
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/08/2019 at 21:52, MattSantos said:

I bought a whisky.

Its Japanese. 

Thats all i know.

My friend has 11 bottles of Hibiki 17 year old.. its worth roughly a grand a bottle. He knew they were due to stop making it apprently so stocked up. Wonder if he will give me one.

Its an Hibiki limited edition 21 year old.

Probably never drink it.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

44 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Its an Hibiki limited edition 21 year old.

Probably never drink it.

That would be a terrible waste. Booze is for appreciating.

I have bought whiskies that, had I not drunk them decades ago, would be worth twenty or thirty times more now due to rarity of remaining bottles. But I wouldn't have derived any enjoyment from having them sealed up in a cupboard somewhere.

It's supposed to be the water of life, not the water of long-term prudent investment!

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

41 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’d drink it tbh.

Enjoy it. Back in the Fifties, my father bought a bottle of Tokay Eszencia and we opened the bottle a couple of years ago. Okay, this isn't whisky, but wine... but this is the stuff that is traditionally the last resort of an ailing Pope, when it is fed to him with the traditional crystal spoon.

There was a lot of sediment, but we slowly filtered it, and the resulting liquid tasted amazing. Why wait 'til your tastebuds are so atrophied by age and parsimony that you can't enjoy it to the full?

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

32 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Enjoy it. Back in the Fifties, my father bought a bottle of Tokay Eszencia and we opened the bottle a couple of years ago. Okay, this isn't whisky, but wine... but this is the stuff that is traditionally the last resort of an ailing Pope, when it is fed to him with the traditional crystal spoon.

There was a lot of sediment, but we slowly filtered it, and the resulting liquid tasted amazing. Why wait 'til your tastebuds are so atrophied by age and parsimony that you can't enjoy it to the full?

That’s a really great story.

On 17/09/2019 at 22:24, ckn said:

This year’s two cask strength Laphroaig variants. I opened the 10yo CS and it’s bloody lovely, even better than usual. Good job I got two bottles of each. 

33517A7A-EB4E-4E7F-B1C0-B1A1ED5182CC.jpeg

On 18/10/2019 at 15:49, Gerrumonside ref said:

Bought some Irish whiskey and some single malt/premium blend samplers to celebrate passing an ITIL exam:

3A37F1B3-9ADA-40AA-AC6A-C0BE90AC7A14.jpeg

39B1BD28-4474-43BB-A3CB-E0E727ED9438.jpeg

My own personal reflections on the whisky/whiskey I bought - feel free to comment or add your own musings as I’m no expert to the hobby:

Johnnie Walker Blue Label blend:

Very smooth with smokiness on the exit.  Can honestly say this is one of the best blends I’ve ever tried and it would probably suit a newcomer to the sport.  Would I spend the £160 on a full bottle?  Probably not as I reckon you could replicate the experience of it elsewhere, but obviously it’s got its cache for those interested in such things.

Tyrconnell

Buttery smooth from start to finish so an easy Irish whiskey to supp.  Again would probably recommend to someone just getting started or looking for something not too challenging - I ended up buying the full bottle from the sampler just to add a bit of variety to my modest collection of whiskies.

Locke’s 8 year old Irish Whiskey

From the same Coolie distillery in Ireland as the Tyrconnell described above.  A clean silky quality and an easy drinker from my small sample.  If you’ve always found Scotch a bit difficult to deal with then you could do worse than going down the Irish route.

Laphroaigh (triple wood)

I’d never tried this or indeed anything else from the distillery.  You can taste wood straight away and this is a fantastic drink (ckn’s special edition of it pictured above). Not really had too much like this before and am now seriously considering purchasing a bottle.

Bunnahabhain

A classic hairs on your chest, fire in your belly 11yr old from Scotland.  Almost a kind of sweetish aftertaste that’s difficult to describe.  I wouldn’t spend £73 on a bottle of it, but I wouldn’t refuse it if offered either.

Conclusion:

The personally customised sampler pack I bought was not far north the price of a good bottle of single malt whisky, but I really enjoyed trying each one and sharing the experience of doing so with family.  I’ll be doing this again, particularly when I want to try something just out of my normal price range. 

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

My own personal reflections on the whisky/whiskey I bought - feel free to comment or add your own musings as I’m no expert to the hobby:

Johnnie Walker Blue Label blend:

Very smooth with smokiness on the exit.  Can honestly say this is one of the best blends I’ve ever tried and it would probably suit a newcomer to the sport.  Would I spend the £160 on a full bottle?  Probably not as I reckon you could replicate the experience of it elsewhere, but obviously it’s got its cache for those interested in such things.

Tyrconnell

Buttery smooth from start to finish so an easy Irish whiskey to supp.  Again would probably recommend to someone just getting started or looking for something not too challenging - I ended up buying the full bottle from the sampler just to add a bit of variety to my modest collection of whiskies.

Locke’s 8 year old Irish Whiskey

From the same Coolie distillery in Ireland as the Tyrconnell described above.  A clean silky quality and an easy drinker from my small sample.  If you’ve always found Scotch a bit difficult to deal with then you could do worse than going down the Irish route.

Laphroaigh (triple wood)

I’d never tried this or indeed anything else from the distillery.  You can taste wood straight away and this is a fantastic drink (ckn’s special edition of it pictured above). Not really had too much like this before and am now seriously considering purchasing a bottle.

Bunnahabhain

A classic hairs on your chest, fire in your belly 11yr old from Scotland.  Almost a kind of sweetish aftertaste that’s difficult to describe.  I wouldn’t spend £73 on a bottle of it, but I wouldn’t refuse it if offered either.

Conclusion:

The personally customised sampler pack I bought was not far north the price of a good bottle of single malt whisky, but I really enjoyed trying each one and sharing the experience of doing so with family.  I’ll be doing this again, particularly when I want to try something just out of my normal price range. 

You can get a Bunnahabhain 12yo from most supermarkets for about £32-38. One of my favourite tipples. 

If you’re after something cheaper that’s an Islay, Asda do one that’s a rebadged big brand. Changes every year or so and is rarely over £20 but rarely not good. 

• Thanks 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

9 minutes ago, ckn said:

You can get a Bunnahabhain 12yo from most supermarkets for about £32-38. One of my favourite tipples. 

If you’re after something cheaper that’s an Islay, Asda do one that’s a rebadged big brand. Changes every year or so and is rarely over £20 but rarely not good. 

Great stuff, I’ll give these a try too as the nights draw in!

As far as supermarket own brands are concerned, Sainsbury's Highland is decent, but I didn't like their Speyside much last time I tried it (they may have changed distillers since then, though). They used to do an Islay that I am almost certain was from Caol Ila, but that has been discontinued, sadly.

Tesco own label single malts are often well-regarded, but I haven't tried one in years.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone got any recommendations for whiskies and bourbon ? as we head towards that time of year when a wee dram can feel most welcome?

I tried a Rittenhouse rye whiskey from Pennsylvania recently, neat with a very large rock and it was fantastic.  Smooth, but flavoursome with a little spice.

I’ve been experimenting with a few workhorse bourbons for my Old Fashioned’s, but this stuff needs nothing and is right up there with Woodford Reserve for me.

1CE11218-5269-4038-A5B4-BFA45DDBDCEC.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Any buying advice for 25 year old Scotch?

Aldi are selling a bottle for £39.99

Not sure whether to take the plunge or not?

Some of Aldi's other scotches have been very well reviewed, but I'd do some browsing on that particular one before you buy. There's bound to be a few reviews somewhere on the internet.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bought first bottles of whiskey and bourbon as Christmas presents.

First was your common garden Jameson’s triple distilled Irish whiskey which was requested and picked up for £18.

Second was a Woodford Reserve Kentucky Bourbon gift set (featuring an ‘Old Fashioned’ orange bitters mini bottle) which cost just north of £30.

On 30/11/2019 at 15:23, Gerrumonside ref said:

Cheers, the verdict is mixed, so I might hold off!

Dropped on the Aldi Islay a while ago and never quite disengaged from it. Spouse loves it but their Speyside is a first for us. £18 a go. No brainer surely.

• Like 1

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

• 2 months later...

I've  a Macallan Whisky Tasting Flight Experience tonight at a swanky Chinese restaurant. There will be a 'whisky expression' served with each course which could be interesting.

Owt for nowt, so i'm all in.

• Like 2

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

The food was odd and all tasted the same. Mad gloupy fish. Lobsters and scallops ruined!. The whisky was ok, the Macallan M was a highlight for some. I preferred a number 6 or whatever it was.

The whisky cocktail was brilliant. 

Edited by MattSantos
  • Like 3