Whisky

14 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Yeah, but it's Jura - once an interesting and individual distillery that has, since becoming part of Filipino conglomerate Emperador, found itself mired in a hellbroth of no-date gimmick names and compromised quality. It has been over a decade since they won even the most tin-pot of awards.

Yes, a few years ago I fell for a decent priced bottle of Jura on a ferry. Hadn't twigged that all that was left from 'before' was the name. It was, as you say, bang average. No better than a halfway decent blend.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 03/05/2021 at 14:30, Robin Evans said:

Just ordered a single malt from.the lakes distillery. Went there a couple of years ago and it's a lovely set up.

Bit pricey at £65 a pop.... expecting delivery this weekend..... Will advise accordingly. 

I’ve been there too, nice place, I hope they do well.

They also make very nice vodka and gin.

I’ve also been to their arch enemy in Norfolk which is another good English distillery ageing whisky.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

I got a bottle of Laphroaig 16y/o for myself as a "reward" for a work anniversary. Lovely stuff, probably the most rounded of the Laphroaigs you can get.

They also do a nice Port & Wine cask version that's very different to other Laphroaigs and certainly worth it if you find one out there.

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 hours ago, ckn said:

I got a bottle of Laphroaig 16y/o for myself as a "reward" for a work anniversary. Lovely stuff, probably the most rounded of the Laphroaigs you can get.

They also do a nice Port & Wine cask version that's very different to other Laphroaigs and certainly worth it if you find one out there.

If you like your peat, then it's probably amongst the premier league of whiskies. The memsahib loves it. I just can't take it.... similar with Ardbeg etc.

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Lakes distillery no4 whisky

Apparently....the nose is rich with Manuka honey, sun-dried dates and roasted cashew nuts; layers of dried fruits, nuts and spice on the palate create a long and vibrant finish..... by all accounts!!

Like the sound of all that and Manuka honey has many health benefits.

Sounds like a wee dram from time to time will be good for the soul.

I bought a bottle of Asda Islay single malt last week and it was excellent.

I had assumed that all supermarket own brands Islay would be probably be from the same distillery.

On that assumption yesterday, I bought a bottle of Aldi's  Glen Marnoch Islay. It wasn't a patch on the Asda.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

3 hours ago, Bearman said:

I bought a bottle of Asda Islay single malt last week and it was excellent.

I had assumed that all supermarket own brands Islay would be probably be from the same distillery.

On that assumption yesterday, I bought a bottle of Aldi's  Glen Marnoch Islay. It wasn't a patch on the Asda.

The "own label" stuff isn't usually identified, as it is over-quota production. However, various experts of whisky websites can often figure their origin out. Sainsbury's used to do an OL Islay, which was from Caol Ila and was a great bargain. Sadly, they don't do an Islay any more.

To further muddy the waters, supermarkets occasionally change their suppliers.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well.... lakeland then. 

It's like watching fev. Warm, you want it to be fantastic.... and it's OK... its hits the target and leaves you feeling satisfied. A nice warm glow.

Then the clynelish.... like watching penrith..... 

You get my drift?

• 3 weeks later...

The Glenlivet Caribbean Reserve (rum cask finish, no age given), about £10 off RRP in my local Sainsbury's.

Just trying it, and while the rum effect is subtle. it is a pleasant dram at the price.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The Glenlivet Caribbean Reserve (rum cask finish, no age given), about £10 off RRP in my local Sainsbury's.

Just trying it, and while the rum effect is subtle. it is a pleasant dram at the price.

By a long way, Glen livet is way my fav entry level supermarket dram

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Just bought a 16 year old Lagavulin for someone’s birthday.

Peaty, but not a monster, according to my whisky guide and an absolute classic to boot.

From the southern part of Isle of Islay off the west coast.

Hoping I’ll get a decent sample of it tonight! 😃

A good one. My first ever Islay single malt.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was given a bottle of 16 year-old Lagavulin yesterday by my owner. She officially took control of me 50 years ago yesteday.

I sipped 100ml of it yesterday to celebrate.

Blodoly luvly.

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Bearman said:

I have just found this clip by Peter Hitchens extolling Johnny Walker Black

Anyone got any thoughts? 

I prefer single malts, and if a needy egomaniac windbag like one of the Hitchens brothers endorses a brand, I'd probably steer clear anyway.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I prefer single malts, and if a needy egomaniac windbag like one of the Hitchens brothers endorses a brand, I'd probably steer clear anyway.

My preference is a single malt but I'm not averse to a dram from the JW range. Compass box do some fabulous blends and the now defunct Asyla was an amazing example of a perfect blend (for me).

I'm up in the North of Scotland at the mo so I've bought 3 bottles from clynelish - my fav whisky and Brora is a lovely place to visit. A 14 year old, a distillers edition and a bottle your own cask strength are coming back with me.

Then, on the way back from Dingwall we took the mountain route as the sun was shining and the scenery is breathtaking. On the way back would you believe it, we found ourselves in the car park at Balblair. So I treated us to a 15 & and 18 Yr old. 

I've even bought some speyside whisky marmalade this morning!

Short of trying to catch a haggis on the hills, I've bought loads of Scottish stuff to bring back.... but that cask strength clynelish is what I'm looking forrad to most. Christmas day digestif😉

Edited by Robin Evans
  • Like 1

Clynelish is a great whisky. I read that they were reviving the nearby Brora distillery in 2020, but it'll be a few years before there's anything to try: https://www.whisky.com/information/news/newsdetail/brora-distillery-reopened-and-first-cask-filled.html

I bought a bottle of Brora from before its closure in 1983, and that was a good dram too. If I'd kept it instead of enjoying it, that would be worth at the very least a thousand quid in 2021.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Clynelish is a great whisky. I read that they were reviving the nearby Brora distillery in 2020, but it'll be a few years before there's anything to try: https://www.whisky.com/information/news/newsdetail/brora-distillery-reopened-and-first-cask-filled.html

I bought a bottle of Brora from before its closure in 1983, and that was a good dram too. If I'd kept it instead of enjoying it, that would be worth at the very least a thousand quid in 2021.

I remember buying three rosebanks (2 were presents) in 1984. My fav lowland.

They'd be worth a min of 5k now

• Like 1

• 4 months later...