Whisky

This is where the proper whisky snobs get it wrong, they go by what the label says rather than how the whisky tastes.  If you chose it from a blind tasting then it's irrelevant if it's £20 or £200 a bottle.

True, although its often preconceived ideas as well as snobbery a guy on the table next to us rated a Speyside highly and then once he knew what it was disputed it could be a speyside as he doesn't like speysides!

Was a nice eye opener, not often I get the chance to try several without knowing what they are, so good to broaden the range!  Also interesting to find out that whilst I don't like Laphroaig normally it turns out that 4 whiskys in I thought it was actually ok!

Speaking of Islay, has anyone tried the Bruichladdich range yet?

I have, but it was several years ago, so my memories are not fresh.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Anyone else getting a pop up banner on this thread about "turbo still"

A complete distillation kit for £469.03 !

Dowricks.com

Make your own.......but don't get caught!

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Allegedly, in the Natural History Museum in the 1940s, some employees installed and operated an illicit still inside the famous model of the blue whale.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Japanese one I had was, I'm pretty sure, a Yamazaki.

Somebody (no, not the beardy bloke in the red suit) left a bottle of that at our house on Christmas Day. I quite like it.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Somebody (no, not the beardy bloke in the red suit) left a bottle of that at our house on Christmas Day. I quite like it.

The one I had was perfectly good, just not particularly memorable, and the import costs make the better-regarded ones a bit expensive in the UK. Otherwise, I'd definitely try more of them.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The one I had was perfectly good, just not particularly memorable, and the import costs make the better-regarded ones a bit expensive in the UK. Otherwise, I'd definitely try more of them.

I would say you're not far off the mark with perfectly good but not particularly memorable.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Love Laphroig 10yr, probably a little too much according to the misses. Just ordered a bottle of Ardberg 10 yr. Anybody tried/opinions?

Ardbeg very good Islay malt. i got a bottle of SMOKEHAD EXTRA RARE it says on the label a really vigorouse whisk

y not for the fainthearted

It is islay single malt..Bought it on the Hull Zeebrugge ferry after tasting.Lovely with a touch of water.

Currently working through a bottle of Highland Park. After that, I will definitely be sampling the new Sainsbury's own label offerings.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Its a rarity and hellishly expensive now as stocks dwindle..... but rosebank from an 89 distillation. .. just before the distillery started to bec8me tired..... my fav lowland and one of my top three of all whiskies

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Currently working through a bottle of Highland Park. After that, I will definitely be sampling the new Sainsbury's own label offerings.

Sainsbury's own label Highland - nice, but nothing special.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sainsbury's own label Highland - nice, but nothing special.

Tesco's is the same. Nowt special but for 21 quid a pop their speyside is great value glugging whisky

Tesco's is the same. Nowt special but for 21 quid a pop their speyside is great value glugging whisky

Exactly. The thing is, compared to the average branded single malt, it is a one third saving, which is pretty significant.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

And there's the rub. My fav... scapa.. is getting on for 50 quid a go for their cheapest bottle. Even the laddie ten is approaching 40 quid a pop.

These own brands are half price or more on my fav brands and are more than an acceptable option if the memsahib and myself just fancy a glug on a weekend

• 2 weeks later...

Buffalo Trace bourbon. Sweeter than the Scotches I'm used to, but pleasant enough. Better with a splash of soda water than still H2O.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Waitrose Islay single malt is on sale at £25.50. A very nice bottle. I won't spoil the surprise this time of what it is.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Waitrose Islay single malt is on sale at £25.50. A very nice bottle. I won't spoil the surprise this time of what it is.

Harrumph! Went to the Brent Cross branch today, and all the own labels were full price.

So I bought a Clynelish instead, which I haven't had in years and was only £5 more. Just opened the bottle and had a sniff - ohhhh yes... :) 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Harrumph! Went to the Brent Cross branch today, and all the own labels were full price.

So I bought a Clynelish instead, which I haven't had in years and was only £5 more. Just opened the bottle and had a sniff - ohhhh yes... :)

Just tasted - ooooohhhh yesss again!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Caol Ila 'Moch' - lighter than the standard version, but still smoky. Very nice, and marked down at my local Waitrose to only £2 more than own brand.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not a great caol ila fan. Just a little too overpowering for my taste.

I have just bought a 16 yr old Scapa with my lottery winnings though.... lovely salty heathery dram... fire in the grate...feet up.... Frank zappa on.... The world is well tonight chez ginge.

Not a great caol ila fan. Just a little too overpowering for my taste.

I have just bought a 16 yr old Scapa with my lottery winnings though.... lovely salty heathery dram... fire in the grate...feet up.... Frank zappa on.... The world is well tonight chez ginge.

Depends on the Zappa album. ;) 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Starting with apostrophe then overnite sensation...

Camaraillo brillo n'all that dynamo hum!

Good stuff, especially 'Apostrophe'.

For a night on the whisky, I'd personally have gone for 'The Grand Wazoo', 'Make a Jazz noise here' or 'One Size fits all', but let's not be picky, eh?

Ralph Waldo Emerson