Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bearman

Whisky

So, best value as a mixer, if you're into cocktails?

It'd be an interesting home blending base with maybe a decent Speyside.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Right....

2 Christmas whiskies sorted and locked away.

A world champion.... 21 yr old Dunedin doublewood from NZ

And an Amorik from Britany....

Further purchases...

I shall acquire an Asyla from compass box and a scapa.... thats me done for christmas then.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Oh and if you get a bottle of laphroig select you apparently get a free square foot plot of land on islay...seems like a bizarre gimmick but what the hell, got the bottle for free, have registered my code so now have a plot allegedly...its prob the only opportunity I'm likely to have in my life to own some land!

Edited by chuffer

Oh and if you get a bottle of laphroig select you apparently get a free square foot plot of land on islay...seems like a bizarre gimmick but what the hell, got the bottle for free, have registered my code so now have a plot allegedly...its prob the only opportunity I'm likely to have in my life to own some land!

Any bottle of Laphroaig comes with a little leaflet with a code on it, keep them and the code gets you rewards.  Nothing exciting but better than nowt.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Right gang

Going to see the chap who sponsors my cricket team next week. He only drinks Whisky. I'm pretty sure its Speyside as a rule.

Do you have a good recommendation for a bottle to say thank you (and please give us some money for next year)

Budget £40-50

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Mister C

Glenfarclas 15yo might be worth a shot, at around the £45 mark.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Can't go wrong with the six classic single malts - two of which are from the Speyside region - Cragganmore and Dalwhinnie

Edited by chuffer

My Niece and her partner have taken over The Royal Oak in Wirksworth Derbyshire. They have a nice selection of real ales. Jim had his own brewery and is in the process of converting the old stables ( it was a coaching inn) to start up again.

But, back on track to finish the night I had a couple of whiskys. I was delighted to see they had " bunny heaven" and as I hadn't tried it and had seen the recommendations on here I started on that. I found it very nice but was a tad disappointed as I like a bit more smokiness. Jim recommended I tried the Port Charlotte. I was surprised that it was only 4 years old as it was much more like the Islays I know.

Just as an aside on the beer pumps there was TT's Landlord, Oakham Ales "" Citra", Hartington, Shipyard an American Pale ale.Hocus Pocus, Draught Bass and Mann Dark Mild which I started with and enjoyed.

I tried them all ( just to be sociable)

He has a nice collection of gins and a bottled tonic with Angosturo bitters already in. My Daughter said it was lovely.

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Was it an open bottle? I find Islay whiskies lose some of their bite if left open too long, say more than three months.

Bunnahabhain has always been the connoisseur Islay though, more of a relaxer rather than the in-your-face Laphroaig.

Said as I sit back with a nice Laphroaig...

Bit disappointed in my now relegated from top 3 whisky.

All the 12 14 16 yr old stuff from the old days has just about gone or its now costing a mint for a bottle....

The new stuff just is a pale shadow of its former self.

For the first time in 3 decades it may not sit on my sideboard this Christmas....

The memsahib brought me home a Talisker skye.... reduced from 45 quid to 25 at Tesco....

Sorted

Was it an open bottle? I find Islay whiskies lose some of their bite if left open too long, say more than three months.

Bunnahabhain has always been the connoisseur Islay though, more of a relaxer rather than the in-your-face Laphroaig.

Said as I sit back with a nice Laphroaig...

You have a bottle that's been open for three months! :O  Don't you ever take your empties to the recycle centre?  :tongue:

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

You have a bottle that's been open for three months! :O Don't you ever take your empties to the recycle centre? :tongue:

I meant if you go to a pub or bar and order one. An infrequently drunk bottle will just sit for ages and I'd not be surprised years in some cases.

An infrequently drunk bottle of whisky???

Nope... sorry cocker.... I'm going to need more explanation.....

Sideboard life at chateau ginge is measured in hours..

For those who may be looking for a bargain there are some good deals poping up on Amazon for whisky. Laphroaig Quarter Cask is going for £24.99 a bottle normally at least £10 more per bottle. Although a NAS whisky it is actually half decent dram for those who like Islay whiskies.

Fancying a 16yo lagavulin to complete my christmas quartet

Fancying a 16yo lagavulin to complete my christmas quartet

Not one I have tried but is on the list (a long list)

It may now be a yuletide quintet seeing as I've just bought an Asyla from compass box. My favourite blend. A mix of Clynelish and Ledaig. It punches well above its weight.

Having now tried a few JW blended whiskies I am no longer such a single malt snob, there are some pretty decent blends out there.

Not so long back I spent a happy morning at duty free at Terminal 5 with a friendly salesperson who was more than happy to let me try all sorts of whisky. I still prefer Islay but I am now open to trying other whiskies.