Burgess brothers set to rewrite history

SAM, Luke, Tom and George Burgess are set to go down in history this weekend after all four brothers were named in the South Sydney Rabbitohs squad to face West Tigers on Friday.

Click here to view the article

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @leagueexpress and TikTok @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonathan Liew has more background in the Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/10267503/Burgess-brothers-to-make-NRL-history-with-South-Sydney-Rabbitohs-as-all-four-named-in-squad-to-face-Wests-Tigers.html

I am starting to warm to Jonathan Liew, when he writes about Rugby League, he is generally fair and I think he will cover a number of the World Cup games for the Telegraph.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

They can afford to do it against a poor team like Wests as the media circus it is attracting here in Sydney is unbelievable.

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

It might happen that they are the first four brothers to play for England in the Rugby World Cup. Throw in James Graham, Roby and the best of the rest from SL and we might,just might have a team capable of troubling the Aussies this November.

Oh I forgot McNamara is the coach, none of them will play.

Jonathan Liew has more background in the Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/10267503/Burgess-brothers-to-make-NRL-history-with-South-Sydney-Rabbitohs-as-all-four-named-in-squad-to-face-Wests-Tigers.html

I am starting to warm to Jonathan Liew, when he writes about Rugby League, he is generally fair and I think he will cover a number of the World Cup games for the Telegraph.

It's a good article - particularly for a national newspaper.

It might happen that they are the first four brothers to play for England in the Rugby World Cup. Throw in James Graham, Roby and the best of the rest from SL and we might,just might have a team capable of troubling the Aussies this November.

What a pathetic post to make. McNamara might not be everyone's cup of tea and for me the jury's still out till after the wc but to lambast him before hes selected the squad or before a ball has even been kicked is just immature. Plus to suggest that none of the players you mentioned would get selected is even more pathetic and immature.

Um... great start - Sam sinbinned after 3 minutes and Wests rocketing into a 12-0 lead.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

They'll play but out of position.

Struggling to think of anything like this in recent(20+ years of watching RL) history, there was kerrod, Kevin and Steve Walters but did they play together for Australia or Queensland maybe? Or Louis, vinny and Fraser Anderson for Auckland warriors?

Sam, Joel and Logan Tomkins all played in the same match together on one occasion for the first team in a friendly. Oddly enough, Michael McGuire was the coach then.

I was going to say the Swanns, but I think one of the three was a cousin, not a brother.

Of course, there was the Keinhorsts for Germany v Serbia.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was going to say the Swanns, but I think one of the three was a cousin, not a brother.

Of course, there was the Keinhorsts for Germany v Serbia.

Thought the same thing about the swanns and the ropatis. How many tamati's was there? Kevin, howie, anybody else?

Luke scores!

Not been easy though - where has this tigers team been hiding all season?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Luke scores!

Not been easy though - where has this tigers team been hiding all season?

That was Luke's first NRL try. Scored, appropriately, off a pass from Issac Luke. :D 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Loved the 4 hit ups at the end and then the tackle! Great advert for rl.

Indeed. Even the anti-RL media are going to struggle to defuse the appeal of the Burgess Bros. come World Cup time.

Conversely, even the RFL won't be able to **** up that golden media opportunity. Will they? 

Indeed. Even the anti-RL media are going to struggle to defuse the appeal of the Burgess Bros. come World Cup time.

Conversely, even the RFL won't be able to **** up that golden media opportunity. Will they? 

I actually agree with this. Having 4 Burgess brothers in the squad may be the best publicity the England RL team may get nationally. Sam and George are 'no-brainers' to be in there. Luke and Tom would have to stack up against Chris Hill, Morley etc.

Edited by Scubby