Summer/Winter debate

ckn

The development officers were cut long after the start of summer amateur rugby

True but when it became the main season rather than filler season. From memory the cuts were announced ages before they came into place. Think I first heard in 2011 but it got cut after 2012.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bowes summer rugby is not new is it 15-20 years outside the heartlands and in the heartlands. It is not many years since Yorkshire had a summer season if I remember Bridlington, Northallerton, Cottingham Phoenix, etc the RFL did not push it as they possibly thought it may be detrimental to the winter game, now they promote and it was their idea they seem to see winter as a distraction to their summer game.

Forget the development officers I know this has not helped but they were around for years why has the summer game never really taken off, also you say about the NWC but when you looked at the last few weeks of the season there were a very high proportion of called off games.

You say about RU but I would say there are more players at all ages playing RU since we have switched seasons, than come to play RL in the summer, please speak to coaches at West Hull, Cottingham, Myton Warriors, Skirlaugh, who have all voiced their concerns, someone must like the wet and cold, even Lewis Moody said the other week on radio he could not wait to stop doing tag at RU so he could get tackling and getting muddy

What incentive would the RFL have to find development officers for clubs in winter but not in their preferred summer season? I might buy conspiracies if they cut funding for winter but not for summer. The cut is entirely down to Sport England.

Surely the decision was made by the RFL

You never fail until you stop trying

What incentive would the RFL have to find development officers for clubs in winter but not in their preferred summer season? I might buy conspiracies if they cut funding for winter but not for summer. The cut is entirely down to Sport England.

So where is the £11 million coming from and to be spent on and by whom as stated by the RFL on their Development Plan?

True but when it became the main season rather than filler season. From memory the cuts were announced ages before they came into place. Think I first heard in 2011 but it got cut after 2012.

Sorry but we have been playing summer for 3 years

So David Gent must have thought there was no need for development officers as there was going to be that many people playing summer rugby, believe it or not the seasons still overlap what we should do is play May-August so players can play both, oh sorry that already happens in leagues outside the heartlands

Should we not have the management of the Rounders Association running our game, they do well without the funding and backing of a professional game that RL enjoys

Should we not have the management of the Rounders Association running our game, they do well without the funding and backing of a professional game that RL enjoys

Careful Defender, I believe that BARLA's Capt. Mannering  has an association with British Rounders. Maybe that could be the reason that rounders is scoring all the runs as opposed to rugby league's try-ing times

You never fail until you stop trying

Bowes summer rugby is not new is it 15-20 years outside the heartlands and in the heartlands. It is not many years since Yorkshire had a summer season if I remember Bridlington, Northallerton, Cottingham Phoenix, etc the RFL did not push it as they possibly thought it may be detrimental to the winter game, now they promote and it was their idea they seem to see winter as a distraction to their summer game.

Forget the development officers I know this has not helped but they were around for years why has the summer game never really taken off, also you say about the NWC but when you looked at the last few weeks of the season there were a very high proportion of called off games.

You say about RU but I would say there are more players at all ages playing RU since we have switched seasons, than come to play RL in the summer, please speak to coaches at West Hull, Cottingham, Myton Warriors, Skirlaugh, who have all voiced their concerns, someone must like the wet and cold, even Lewis Moody said the other week on radio he could not wait to stop doing tag at RU so he could get tackling and getting muddy

Long story short a 10 game summer season was never and could never overtake a full winter season as the main form of the game as it just plain isn't enough rugby league. A full summer season has found much more support. In fact outside of Yorkshire at open age and everywhere at juniors it is the preference.

But when you enter the Merit now you only commit to 8 games so why is it good now but not in the past when you committed to 10 games, you keep saying it is the preference so why are there so many call offs, teams folding, drop in participation, drop in revenue, at proffessional level the attendences have a least leveled out and possibly on the decline, I would even say now the juniors play summer it has affected the gates

So why does a sport that is played in every school in the country have more participants than the RL?  I can't understand it.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

So where is the £11 million coming from and to be spent on and by whom as stated by the RFL on their Development Plan?

Its coming from Sports England and can only be used for the things the RFL and Sports England agreed on. 

RU decided to fund it's development officers itself after they had their funding cut.  The RFL didn't.  I would dare suggest that this is because the RFL is on a shoestring (relative to other NGB's).

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

But when you enter the Merit now you only commit to 8 games so why is it good now but not in the past when you committed to 10 games, you keep saying it is the preference so why are there so many call offs, teams folding, drop in participation, drop in revenue, at proffessional level the attendences have a least leveled out and possibly on the decline, I would even say now the juniors play summer it has affected the gates

Merit is just a way for new clubs to get into the game or for clubs to run 2nd or 3rd teams they couldn't otherwise. In Yorkshire it seems to be more a way of giving extra games to winter clubs. It isn't an option as a primary competition for the more established areas of the game.

All those things have happened in the winter game to the same extent. But the simple thing is the NW clubs were given a free choice of season and overwhelmingly backed summer. Winter has been pushed very hard as an option to return to pretty much every year and hasn't got much support. In fact the likes of West Bank Swans and Albert Park who chose it originally have ceased to exist and most of the others have opted for summer. A switch back now clearly cannot happen. To put it simply players given a free choice between summer and winter opt for summer even if they miss a few games towards the end of the season. Thus any winter competition set as an alternative is doomed to failure. The summer league seems to struggle in August and September (the latter a part of the winter season), but the winter season seems to struggle every month

Yorkshire is more complicated but I can see a sizeable switch to summer after this season.

So why does a sport that is played in every school in the country have more participants than the RL?  I can't understand it.

Sports England still only ring the same people and the RFL said over 1500 (I think) schools entered the cup, and you don't get many rounders clubs

Its coming from Sports England and can only be used for the things the RFL and Sports England agreed on. 

RU decided to fund it's development officers itself after they had their funding cut.  The RFL didn't.  I would dare suggest that this is because the RFL is on a shoestring (relative to other NGB's).

It will be interesting to see if the money materialises but their pledge not mine

The RFL are reliant on SE funding the schools comp is a token gesture as even the best schools will only play a dozen games each year at the most .

We are told the game is expanding at youth and junior outside the heartlands where is the evidence ?

We should have a vibrant country wide competition we have had ten years of unification and one governing body not much to show in reality .

And just to highlight how cock eyed the game is one Junior league secretary is asking clubs to ok "friendlies" during the winter break .

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't we switch to summer so that our kids did not play in the winter months.?

To keep them interested!

And just to highlight how cock eyed the game is one Junior league secretary is asking clubs to ok "friendlies" during the winter break .

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't we switch to summer so that our kids did not play in the winter months.?

Agree with Defender 1 also much easier to cancel a friendly rather than a league game if weather not so good.

Agree with Defender 1 also much easier to cancel a friendly rather than a league game if weather not so good.

GHGH I think you miss the point a little, we changed to summer for all the benefits it is supposed to bring, thought winter was that bad nobody wanted to play. West Hull under 15s last game of the so called 2014 season is Dec 6th, they then sart pre-season after Xmas and play friendlies, as well as the school and college games, oh and by the way with the same players. The clubs are now having to keep them interested or they are going off playing football or RU, as I have said before there are more RL players playing football and RU in the winter than football and RU players playing RL in the summer. Most of the good youth players are playing all year round it is only a matter of time before they get fed up and have a well deserved rest from the game

GHGH I think you miss the point a little, we changed to summer for all the benefits it is supposed to bring, thought winter was that bad nobody wanted to play. West Hull under 15s last game of the so called 2014 season is Dec 6th, they then sart pre-season after Xmas and play friendlies, as well as the school and college games, oh and by the way with the same players. The clubs are now having to keep them interested or they are going off playing football or RU, as I have said before there are more RL players playing football and RU in the winter than football and RU players playing RL in the summer. Most of the good youth players are playing all year round it is only a matter of time before they get fed up and have a well deserved rest from the game

Sorry but I dont think I am are you talking about an individual team or all teams. I thought all Yorkshire Junior League teams had finished their matches unless they had entered cup competitions. Also as you know the league does not play over the Easter,Whitsun and summer school holidays so really at Junior Level the term Summer Rugby should be used lightly unlike NCL which does play through the summer I thought at Junior level the main reason was to avoid the usual bad months, Christmas and the New Year.If teams do play in summer or during these periods they are normally at club tournaments which for some clubs are important fundraising events.but nobody is obliged to play.

So really all that has happened is the Christmas break has been extended. 

So why have we had all the upheaval, as the NWC had introduced a winter break

Sorry but I dont think I am are you talking about an individual team or all teams. I thought all Yorkshire Junior League teams had finished their matches unless they had entered cup competitions. Also as you know the league does not play over the Easter,Whitsun and summer school holidays so really at Junior Level the term Summer Rugby should be used lightly unlike NCL which does play through the summer I thought at Junior level the main reason was to avoid the usual bad months, Christmas and the New Year.If teams do play in summer or during these periods they are normally at club tournaments which for some clubs are important fundraising events.but nobody is obliged to play.

You are correct Yorkshire juniors and Hull have a summer break, NWC do not, also because of the Yorkshire and National cups at Youth the players are not having a break. The thing is summer is summer and as I say why change if we don't play in the summer months, not playing because people are away is what people said. In the old season we always managed to fit all the fixtures in and have a break before pre season, now teams start in Jan for preseason and friendlies, don't play in the summer months but usually train, and some are finishing in December, it's all year rugby for the players, coaches, parents and volunteers without the volume of matches

• 9 months later...

I hope apologise if this has already been suggested but would a winter season and summer season both 6 months long with no overlap work? Players could play both seasons without having to jump ship before the seasons end. Some leagues could run winter and summer based competitions which would allow teams and players to play when suits them best and help attract players from other sports as they would have the option of when they played

I hope apologise if this has already been suggested but would a winter season and summer season both 6 months long with no overlap work? Players could play both seasons without having to jump ship before the seasons end. Some leagues could run winter and summer based competitions which would allow teams and players to play when suits them best and help attract players from other sports as they would have the option of when they played

Unfortunately that was what was supposed to happen but it hasn't worked, there will always be a bit of an overlap, last years winter wasn't very good, this years summer possibly worse

Archived