Gaskell joins Bulls

Lee Gaskell has officially become the fourth new signing to commit to Bradford Bulls ahead of the 2014 season - as League Express first reported on July 29.

Click here to view the article

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @leagueexpress and TikTok @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

An article in the Telegraph and Argus indicates that Jarrod Sammut is staying (though I previously heard from someone-in-the-loop that he was going).

Maybe that means that Lee Gaskell can do us a shift at centre. We need a creative centre; it's very rare for our wingers to be put into space outside the try zone.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

The crucial thing with all this recruiting is that we're also keeping a good core of existing players. Hopefully we should have a slightly bigger and stronger squad next season.

Play him out of position at your peril.

He can create tries,looks great in attack ball in hand, great kicking game, but prone to sulk if played out of position and not even good enough to be classed as a turnstyle defensively when sulking.

Could be interesting for Bulls if Sammut stays and Gaskell plays at Stand off, could see some entertaining games.

Another good signing from Cummins. Gaskell is the right age with a good attitude and excellent skill set.  He's also pretty quick and has had GF experience already.  The extra bonus being that Addy probably won't have to cover the halves, meaning we've effectively got an extra forward as well. 

I think Addy will be a smashing player for us at 13, just needs to work a bit on defensive positioning. Aside from that he's got it all really.

So that's...

Gaskell

Ferguson

Carvell

Blythe

George

Addy

Donno

Foster

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

Another good signing from Cummins. Gaskell is the right age with a good attitude and excellent skill set.  He's also pretty quick and has had GF experience already.  The extra bonus being that Addy probably won't have to cover the halves, meaning we've effectively got an extra forward as well. 

I think Addy will be a smashing player for us at 13, just needs to work a bit on defensive positioning. Aside from that he's got it all really.

So that's...

Gaskell

Ferguson

Carvell

Blythe

George

Addy

Donno

Foster

Hmm I wonder. There were a few rumours suggesting the opposite, but I have no idea how much truth was behind them. 

Best of luck with him anyway, I certainly think that he could turn out to be an excellent player for you.  

Interesting that he chose the Bulls over Salford where he currently plays and who offered him a contract too. Does that suggest Gaskell isn't as convinced about the Salford future as the club are? Does he think the Bulls are a better bet than Salford? Maybe Salford aren't splashing the cash about as much as everyone assumes. Or maybe he's finally accepted that Yorkshire is the only place to be.

Interesting that he chose the Bulls over Salford where he currently plays and who offered him a contract too. Does that suggest Gaskell isn't as convinced about the Salford future as the club are? Does he think the Bulls are a better bet than Salford? Maybe Salford aren't splashing the cash about as much as everyone assumes. Or maybe he's finally accepted that Yorkshire is the only place to be.

Could be that he's a better chance of playing 6 at Bradford than at Salford?

Believe he wanted a guarantee of playing 6 but Noble won't give it. Maybe he will be 2nd choice at Salford with the big signing next week.

Not sure about good attitude, he certainly had a falling out at Saints, not heard any problems at Salford

Hmm I wonder. There were a few rumours suggesting the opposite, but I have no idea how much truth was behind them. 

Best of luck with him anyway, I certainly think that he could turn out to be an excellent player for you.  

There are always rumours at Saints.  I don't believe any of them. 

Nathan Brown farmed out Shaun Lunt to Leeds to make way for Scott Moore.  Ha.  Look how that turned out.  Brown farmed out Gaskell to Salford - which usually equals no contract extension for Saints players (see Smith, Ashurst, Dixon et al) - to make way for yet another 'hooker' in Howarth (third choice at Salford) who while works his butt off in defence doesn't offer much in attack.  I am rather more inclined to think that Brown does some odd things where playing staff is concerned and that was the only reason for Gaskell being placed on loan.  All that stuff about sulking referred to in a post above is just garbage.  He's never done anything less than work hard when on the pitch at Saints, and he helped the team get to a Grand Final when we had a much worse injury crisis than we have had this year.

So I wish the lad all the best and I hope he really makes it at Bradford. 

Believe he wanted a guarantee of playing 6 but Noble won't give it. Maybe he will be 2nd choice at Salford with the big signing next week.

Not sure about good attitude, he certainly had a falling out at Saints, not heard any problems at Salford

See my post above.

I think any falling out will have happened last season because Rush treated him very poorly.

Edited by Saintslass

You could be right about attitude, Simmons, Rush, Brown and Noble aren't too impressed with this.

nah gaskell is much better than hohaia............

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

Questionable attitude and defensively awful, but apart from that not a bad kicker

Both are taken as read when signing kids that come through from Saints then farmed out. Foster has some way to go on those fronts too. Both probably have felt abandoned by their home club, and maybe that dissolution has had a negative effect on attitude. Hopefully with a solid contract in the bag he'll show up as the player he looked when playing in the GF.

I'm sure Brown knows what he's doing.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.