Agar blasts Salford

By NEIL BARRACLOUGH

WAKEFIELD boss Richard Agar admitted he was glad to see the end of a ‘difficult week’ after the Wildcats’ 40-0 defeat at Huddersfield on Sunday before accusing Salford, who swooped to buy Tim Smith on Saturday morning, of making illegal approaches to a number of Wakefield’s contracted players.

Click here to view the article

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @leagueexpress and TikTok @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

I didn't realise that things were looking quite that grim for Wakefield, if they had to sell Smith to fund wages then their situation must be pretty desperate :(

This is a real pity, I've been quite impressed with them this year and respect their history. It seems like they're going in the opposite direction to Salford and I suppose that relegation will be a very real possibility for them next year. I hope they survive but there's not a club in the league that I'd be happy to see go down. 

I'm not going to comment on the issue of illegal approaches but that article is a sad read, it's not nice to see a proud club experiencing this.

Edited by MrFussy

I'm not going to comment on the issue of illegal approaches but that article is a sad read, it's not nice to see a proud club experiencing this.

It is a sad read.  When Glover took over there was such hope in the club there.  Something clearly has gone wrong in the meantime.

Cut the sentiment - if it was London or Les Catalans, everyone would be calling for them to be dropped out of Super League.

It's a hard commercial environment for all at the moment and only the fittest (richest!) will survive.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if illegal approaches are being made by Salford (Koukash) and let's face it probably the majority of agents sail tight to the wind!

If there is undeniable evidence then the agent (if ones involved) should be banned from ever dealing with RL players again and the clubs should immediately get a season long transfer ban!

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

totally agree, when widnes were last in super league we had tied up a deal for a kiwi international scrum half only for his agent (who just happened to be our coach) negotiated a deal with another club which gave him a bigger kick back, although the players contract was lower than the one offered by widnes...............

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

If Agar has evidence then he should present it to the RFL, if he is just venting then maybe the RFL should charge him.

We all know that agents tout their players round, Salford have been on the receiving end on so many occasions.If Salford went to the club and asked for permission then Agar needs to speak to his chairman.

From the report above it looks like Wakefield have already notified the RFL and presumably given them the relevant evidence.

'Agar said: “Salford have directly contacted three or four of our players. We notified the RFL about this quite a while ago.'

Salford " will deny it " meaning they have no proof?

Did he have the same opinion when "there were ways and means of doing things.” when he was in charge of Hull.
Was Agar party to what Andrew Glover / Elston were doing to raise capital as it seems players were being offered rather than being tapped up ?

Salford ( Koucash) haven't just invented / tapping up  3rd party approaches ? I's been the weapon of choice for the big clubs for decades. albeit they used a longer game plan .

Koucash fault is that he has been glaringly open in his willingness to ' spend ' , this will have led to to every players agent under the sun approaching them.  

I feel for Wakefield & Agar , just as I felt for Veivers / McRae when we lost numerous quality players to bigger clubs , whilst under contract and to bail out the club.

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

I suspect Salford will have hidden behind agents and be ok. The Giants seem to have lied and then told the truth under oath at Mason's tribunal. If the past is anything to go by they'll be exempted from relegation for the next ten years.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

That Salford will be guilty until proven .. err guilty?  I mean it wasn't just Agar blurting in a moment of frustration with no substantial proof was it ..