Brough lands more awards

Fresh from confirming his Albert Goldthorpe Medal win, Huddersfield's Danny Brough stole the show at the club's annual awards presentation on Monday night.

Click here to view the article

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @leagueexpress and TikTok @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

Well you've only got him to blame for your disappointment then, he thinks he's Scottish ;-)

The only person to blame is McNamara for messing him around.

The only person to blame is McNamara for messing him around.

He's clearly not the only person to blame, Brough took the decision to not make himself available for England selection, it was a dummy spit.

Before this turns into another massive pointless thread, I will say I rate Brough highly and I would have him in the England squad, this doesn't mean he hasn't played his own part in not playing for England in the World Cup, he has ultimately taken the decision out of McNamara's hands, neither you or I know whether McNamara would have put Brough in his squad so its all pure conjecture, what we do know for absolute certain is that Brough has said he wants to play for Scotland, that should be an end to it all.

If Brough had said, "I'm not Scottish, I'm English, and despite missing out so far, I'm absolutely desperate to force myself in to the reckoning for the England team and fulfill a lifelong dream of representing my nation in a World Cup, and I'm prepared to get my head down and perform to the best of my ability each week to reach this goal" do you think McNamara would still be ignoring him after this season? Do you think his flitting between nations and throwing his toys out of the pram when not selected rather than adopting this committed approach harmed his chances of selection?

Either way, it's somewhat tragic that arguably the two most naturally skillful halves of the last 20 years (Briers and Brough), have both not represented England/GB in a major international, whilst solid pros such as Orr, Horne, Tony Smith, Deacon etc have all had a chance.

I think Brough and to some extent Briers can both justifiably feel a little snubbed, however I do agree Broughs attitude in the face of it has left somthing to be desired. It would be nice if the Current England Manager could be the bigger man in this situation sadly this seems unlikely at this stage. 

I think Brough and to some extent Briers can both justifiably feel a little snubbed, however I do agree Broughs attitude in the face of it has left somthing to be desired. It would be nice if the Current England Manager could be the bigger man in this situation sadly this seems unlikely at this stage.

The bigger man? Lets face it if a player publicly states he doesn't want to be considered for selection no coach is going to want that player in the team. Lets not forget it was McNamara who asked Brough to make himself available for England in the first place.

This button here >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>VVVVV

Completely misread your post haha, one like will do although you can ask admin for them to allow you to like it more, the more points on my reputation the merrier ;)

Well you've only got him to blame for your disappointment then, he thinks he's Scottish ;-)

Would take something special for someone to convince someone born in Dewbury that they are Scottish. Unfortunately it happened.

The way I understand it, he asked him to make himself available previously and then failed to pick him despite him being the form halfback in the competition. Im not saying that Brough is blameless and that he couldnt have been more of a man about it, but at this point surely regardless of whose fault it was it would be in Englands interests too have him playing. I dont expect McNamara to bend over for him, but if perhaps an apology or an explantion would change his mind then it would seem to me that the manager should at least attempt it.

Brough wants to play in the World Cup - it'll be his last chance probably

Macca asked him to be available to England then ignored him

It left Brough with a choice. Stick with England and chances are sit watching from the sidelines or pick Scotland and play

Can't say I'd have done differently if it were me, can anyone else?

The bigger man? Lets face it if a player publicly states he doesn't want to be considered for selection no coach is going to want that player in the team. Lets not forget it was McNamara who asked Brough to make himself available for England in the first place.

Yes and then told him he was not in the 40 man Elite Squad and was not picked to play in the Exiles Team, as McNamara said he was sticking with his settled half back combination of Sinfield and Chase.

Danny Brough wants to play in the World Cup and as he was not going to get picked for England he chose to make himself available for Scotland to get a World Cup game. You cannot blame him for that, what's the bloke supposed to do? Just sit and wait in hope that either Sinfield or Chase get injured? I know I wouldn't. There is only one person to blame for Danny Brough not wearing an England shirt this Autumn and it's certainly not Danny Brough.

I know all the above has been covered over and over but I had to re mention it again due to your comment Christopher.

As far as I am aware McNamara hasn't picked his WC squad so how was Brough ignored?

He picked him last year in an origin game, didn't pick him for last years internationals A because his form had dropped off and B because he was carrying an injury.

He was left out of the train on squad which was picked at the start of the season. This is the only time you could argue he was ignored but I would expect any professional sportsman who wanted to make the squad fight harder for his place.

He then spat his dummy out.

Yes and then told him he was not in the 40 man Elite Squad and was not picked to play in the Exiles Team, as McNamara said he was sticking with his settled half back combination of Sinfield and Chase.

Danny Brough wants to play in the World Cup and as he was not going to get picked for England he chose to make himself available for Scotland to get a World Cup game. You cannot blame him for that, what's the bloke supposed to do? Just sit and wait in hope that either Sinfield or Chase get injured? I know I wouldn't. There is only one person to blame for Danny Brough not wearing an England shirt this Autumn and it's certainly not Danny Brough.

I know all the above has been covered over and over but I had to re mention it again due to your comment Christopher.

He didn't even have Sinfield and Chase as the halves in the Exiles game.

No, you do not know whether Brough would have been picked for the WC, what we do know is Danny didn't want to fight for a place so bailed out.

McNamara certainly had his part in it but it wasn't solely down to him that you won't see Brough playing for England Brougj played a massive part in that too.

No, you do not know whether Brough would have been picked for the WC, what we do know is Danny didn't want to fight for a place so bailed out.

McNamara certainly had his part in it but it wasn't solely down to him that you won't see Brough playing for England Brougj played a massive part in that too.

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: If we're going to be honest here we do know Broughy was never going to be picked for England whatever he did this season. You believe what you want to believe but I know from the horses mouth that Broughy was not going to be picked for England, obviously I cannot prove what was said in a telephone conversation but it's a fact. The only thing I do not know is why? Maybe that will come out in the wash later, or over a few pints ;)

Anyway, no worries we've got King Kev to save us and do the business. This way everybody's happy, Broughy gets to play in the World Cup and you get to see Sinfield in the England team.

I dont blame Brough. If you are the stand out player in a competition and can't even get in a 40 man training squad made up of players from that competition you are obviously going to be annoyed. You knew straight away that the decision had nothing to do what was happening of the pitch, which is very hard to take when you are playing the best rugby of your life.

The decision has been made and we have to get on with it. Watching Brough rip pretty much every side apart (except Wire for some reason) is hard to watch but it's the way it goes. Well done Danny on winning the award, you certainly deserve it.

It's bad coaching if you have the best halfback in the league who is admittdly a bit temperamental and you don't use some man management or leadershiop skills to cater to his ego and get him in your squad. Completely leaving him out of the exiles squad was just plain stupid and left Brough with a negatiove connotation on his chances of playing in the world cup.

Anyway, look out for Scotland as a dark horse to make the quarters and maybe pull off an upset. They have some capable players and with Brough pulling the strings and looking to make a point they could be the surprise team of the competition,