Players poll reveals exodus fears

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's because your surveys are done at the request of the company you work for. Had the RFL or the individual clubs done them themselves then the results would probably have been treated in a similar fashion.

If the survey had been done by a trade union, I'm guessing that the management would find the results in the local trade paper.

I wonder why our Unions are not conducting surveys to find out if we think we should be paid more?

It does make you wonder what LPL's agenda is. I suppose I'd guess they've seen the negativity and apocalyptic nature of posts on here and decided to jump on board.

According to some people like Just Browny if you dont agree with him or dare to post some reality/negative then you hate the game and are a miserable sod. Ok being positive, but there are major issues and concerns within the game. Often we dont hear what the players feel or think. Whilst it may upset a few on here, its good to come out. Maybe the timing could have been better but I dont see where LPL are at fault. There job is to report news and sell newspapers. Some news is on the negative side but that doesnt mean it should be just ignored like some people seem to want. To question LPL agenda is pure stupid. Yes the agenda is to pull down the game. :drag::assassin::roulette:

According to some people like Just Browny if you dont agree with him or dare to post some reality/negative then you hate the game and are a miserable sod. Ok being positive, but there are major issues and concerns within the game. Often we dont hear what the players feel or think. Whilst it may upset a few on here, its good to come out. Maybe the timing could have been better but I dont see where LPL are at fault. There job is to report news and sell newspapers. Some news is on the negative side but that doesnt mean it should be just ignored like some people seem to want. To question LPL agenda is pure stupid. Yes the agenda is to pull down the game. :drag::assassin::roulette:

Yep, tbh I don't have an issue with any of the media outlets that covered this, I am keen to understand what League13 are hoping to achieve with this.

They have positioned this with the 75% of people interested in the NRL or RU. They knew this would be controversial and damaging, yet what were they looking to achieve?

Were they trying to let the management know? I expect they already know, due to the fact that we have had players already leave, plus owners will probably get this thrown in front of them during every contract negotiation.

Were they letting the RU know? That's a dangerous route to go down.

This is a Rugby League players Union, it's a strange one, are they acting in their member's interests if they damage the game?

Having got my copy in the post today, I think this is a bit of a storm in a teacup. Nobody is really "letting rip", it's a bunch of Yes/No questions that are pretty simplistic (a couple of the questions are a bit loaded as well I feel). Whilst something like this should be welcomed, it seems there isn't as much depth as one might hope. 97% of players think the game isn't marketed well enough - well duh! Everyone knows that, what I want to know is what they think might help. Why do more players than not think Refs have improved? It's frustratingly undetailed, and in all honesty doesn't tell us much more than if you asked most of the same questions of a genuine cross section of 200 RL fans.

Finally 77% of players thinks the game doesn't take the views of the players seriously - fair enough 1eague3 - give us a reason to, and show your working. That would be genuinely worth reading

(This isn't a go at RLW by the way, Gareth Walker's editorial and John Wilkin's article takes an interesting look at the results, but at the end of the day it's just speculation. Informed speculation, but still speculation.)

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Having got my copy in the post today, I think this is a bit of a storm in a teacup. Nobody is really "letting rip", it's a bunch of Yes/No questions that are pretty simplistic (a couple of the questions are a bit loaded as well I feel). Whilst something like this should be welcomed, it seems there isn't as much depth as one might hope. 97% of players think the game isn't marketed well enough - well duh! Everyone knows that, what I want to know is what they think might help. Why do more players than not think Refs have improved? It's frustratingly undetailed, and in all honesty doesn't tell us much more than if you asked most of the same questions of a genuine cross section of 200 RL fans.

Finally 77% of players thinks the game doesn't take the views of the players seriously - fair enough 1eague3 - give us a reason to, and show your working. That would be genuinely worth reading

(This isn't a go at RLW by the way, Gareth Walker's editorial and John Wilkin's article takes an interesting look at the results, but at the end of the day it's just speculation. Informed speculation, but still speculation.)

Ultimately as well, what the hell do players know about marketing? Why would this question even be asked?

Ultimately as well, what the hell do players know about marketing? Why would this question even be asked?

Having managed a marketing group I'd like to know what the players think marketing is... lots of people that I speak to that don't work in the various marketing roles that exist often have me shaking my head as they generally equate the narrower promotion or advertising to marketing,

If the management are already doing so and nobody has any issues with the way that it is done, what would be the point?

probably more because they have more important things to focus on rather than focus on things people already know and claim it is news.

So Superleague players would consider changing jobs for the offer of more money elsewhere?

Well i for one am totally shocked!!!

What exactly is the story here??

The story is that their employers are restricted in how much they can pay them. This is to stop clubs going bust, and it has worked, only Wakefield (3 times), widnes, London (twice) Gateshead, Huddersfield/Sheffield, Paris and north Wales have gone bust since the introduction of the salary cap.

That's 10 times a club has gone into administration/ folded and 7 clubs not bad for a 14 team league.

The story is that their employers are restricted in how much they can pay them. This is to stop clubs going bust, and it has worked, only Wakefield (3 times), widnes, London (twice) Gateshead, Huddersfield/Sheffield, Paris and north Wales have gone bust since the introduction of the salary cap.

That's 10 times a club has gone into administration/ folded and 7 clubs not bad for a 14 team league.

I'd scrap it tomorrow.

It hasn't prevented clubs overspending, it hasn't created an even league.

It holds back our game, we can't sign NRL or RU stars, we look cheap.  Cheap does not appeal to advertisers.

Our biggest clubs are dragged back to mediocrity and our smaller clubs see the cap as a target that must be reached and spend money they do not have to try and get there.

Replace it with a % of turnover, then no one can get silly and the big clubs can bring in the big names that will get us the headlines. (or a % of a rich bloke's "investment" for those lucky enough to have a sugar daddy)

Edited by Ponterover

Hurrah! Someone gets it at last!

Look, RLW isn't my baby anymore, but shooting the messenger as many appear wont to do in this thread is just daft. It was the players' union itself, 1eague3, that conducted the poll of its members. RLW is publishing the results. Make of them what you will. Or you can stick your heads in the sand if you prefer.

For the record, it may stun some people to know that the publication dates of RLW are set at least 12 months in advance, and are not deliberately timed to scupper a press launch in Salford. That would just be silly. RLW folk are big fans of Dr Koukash and his Salford revolution, which is why the mag carried a massive 6 page interview with the man himself just 3 issues previous. You all read that, all you guys in the positivity brigade, didn't you? Hey, didn't you?? Also, RLW editor Gareth Walker has been tweeting away positively from the Salford event all morning, and we've retweeted these on both the @rlworld and @leagueexpress twitter accounts too.

We always tie in our promo for each new issue to coincide with the online edition going live, which is always the day before the print edition appears in the shops. This month, that falls today. There's no dark or doom-laden conspiracy going on.

Go on, be positive, buy the mag, have a read, you might surprise yourself to discover how well-written it is and how passionate about the game everyone who contributes to it is. Or you can just indulge your own negativity (sound the irony klaxon) by ignorantly slagging it off here.

I've heard that the NUJ are planning a similar survey amongst LPL staff and it reveals that 100% of the are willing to join 40/20 just for free biscuits with their coffee.

Just telling it like it is, you understand.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Nah, the salary cap has worked well when it was properly applied. We've had crowds doubling since the beginning of SL and that means more money all round.

Anyone who seriously thinks that the salary cap was the cause of Paris or Crusaders demise needs to read up a bit. Those clubs were doomed no matter what. Dropping expansion clubs with insufficient funds into SL and then expecting the Salary cap to save them is stupid.

It's also given clubs like Warrington and Huddersfield a new lease of life. For years they could not beat St Helens and Bradford respectively, now look where they are. See what a lack of salary cap has done to soccer.

The problems are:-

a) too many teams in SL reducing the TV money for everybody

B) putting expansion sides into Sl when they weren't ready

c) a failure to relegate clubs that are obviously struggling

It may well  be "how it is" but the  presentation of it is just sensationalism.

If sumbdy asked me if I wanted to go to Australia, I'd say yes but the chances of it happening are zilch.  There'll be no mass exodus.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

That's my only problem with the article is the way it's presented as if there's going to be some mass exodus of players when in actual fact all it's saying is the players would consider moving for money. I think anyone would consider moving jobs for more money.

Exactly. Total non-story.

The salary cap should be significantly increased.   But could take an idea from RU with their salary cap and introduce additional payments to clubs based upon their own Academy players in the squad.

In most sports I know clubs use transfers as means of bringing in income to enable themselves to operate.  So I can't see any problems with the like of Wakefield having to rely on transfer of players.   Investing in a strong academy to have players to play for the club as well as sell on is a reasonable operating model and one used by many sporting clubs.  Particular if central funds are diverted to support academy development, with more going to those less strong clubs than the stronger as a way of tilting the balance.

These aren't people who hate the game and want to run it down. They are its lifeblood. If 75% of them think they aren't earning enough money to play it, and are looking elsewhere for opportunities to earn a better living, that's not an issue that ought to be swept under the carpet in a professional sport, is it?

I disagree. If we are talking about a professional game, then the players aren't it's lifeblood. The fans are.

Sack all 30 players at,say, Wigan tomorrow and they could have a new squad within a couple of days. Maybe not quite so good, but they could still raise a team.

Stop 15,000 from coming through the gates and the club is finished as a professional entity.

People called Romans they go the house

The salary cap should be significantly increased.   But could take an idea from RU with their salary cap and introduce additional payments to clubs based upon their own Academy players in the squad.

In most sports I know clubs use transfers as means of bringing in income to enable themselves to operate.  So I can't see any problems with the like of Wakefield having to rely on transfer of players.   Investing in a strong academy to have players to play for the club as well as sell on is a reasonable operating model and one used by many sporting clubs.  Particular if central funds are diverted to support academy development, with more going to those less strong clubs than the stronger as a way of tilting the balance.

How often do players get transferred for a fee these days ? Sure - it happens but usually players leave at the end of their contracts.

Bosman changed everything.

I disagree. If we are talking about a professional game, then the players aren't it's lifeblood. The fans are.

Not in isolation. Everyone involved in the game in whatever capacity has a stake in it. This particular story is about the players and what they think. Disagree with them if you like, fine, but they are just as entitled to have their views aired as anyone else.

Yep, tbh I don't have an issue with any of the media outlets that covered this, I am keen to understand what League13 are hoping to achieve with this.

Well, y'know, you could buy the mag and find out. ;)