Statement - Board of Directors of Sheffield Eagles RLFC (Merged threads)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmmmmmm???????????? Let's say they have 800 regulars so you need 15 buses. The cheapest bus my missus was able to hire recently was £300, making the cost £4500. But let's say they could cut a deal and get them for £200 a go that's still £3000. Half price entrance at £8 means that you'd have to attract 375 Fev supporters to break even!

450 - you've forgotten the VAT.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

If the Eagles have already 'acquired' temporary stands, why don't they approach Mount St Mary's?

I know it's not technically Sheffield as it occupies that grey area that comprises the 'perineum' between Sheffield and Chesterfield but it's a far more workable option than some I've seen mentioned and is less than five mins from junction 31(?) of the M1.

Went to game last night v rams , chairman made statement the club have a meeting with owlerton owners and council on friday with the hope of moving in there. Well done the rams fans last night they must have brought 300 and around ten of them never stop singing well done lads.Shame on Eagles stay away fans though last ever game at dv and only 893 turned up and like I said around 300 were from dewsbury. It hardly sends a message to the council when only around 600 fans turn out .

Chief Crazy Eagle

If the Eagles have already 'acquired' temporary stands, why don't they approach Mount St Mary's?

I know it's not technically Sheffield as it occupies that grey area that comprises the 'perineum' between Sheffield and Chesterfield but it's a far more workable option than some I've seen mentioned and is less than five mins from junction 31(?) of the M1.

By car.  If you've got one.

There would be a host of other logistical problems such as lack of turnstiles.

By car. If you've got one.

There would be a host of other logistical problems such as lack of turnstiles.

Last time I checked they didn't have turnstiles at universities either. The one thing with 'The Mount' is that there's only one way in and out.

I still think Chesterfield is the best of the potential short term options though.

The problem i think that sheffeild will face with moving grounds to outside the district is funding from Grants would cease, i believe they get grants due to expansionism etc, I am aware they get lots of funding for where they are though whatever schemes they have available and that is down to terrific work from Mark Aston and the BOD etc. If this was to stop they wouldnt be a sustainable business as they would be heavily relient on away fans and having to pay rent to wherever they play. They must remain in the City.

The problem i think that sheffeild will face with moving grounds to outside the district is funding from Grants would cease, i believe they get grants due to expansionism etc, I am aware they get lots of funding for where they are though whatever schemes they have available and that is down to terrific work from Mark Aston and the BOD etc. If this was to stop they wouldnt be a sustainable business as they would be heavily relient on away fans and having to pay rent to wherever they play. They must remain in the City.

Not sure that's true.  As far as I know, you get the grant for doing the work in the area. Where you're based is irrelevant.

Not sure that's true.  As far as I know, you get the grant for doing the work in the area. Where you're based is irrelevant.

I believe that a significant level of support has come from Sheffield council via sponsorships. This wouldn't continue if they moved outside of Sheffield.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I believe that a significant level of support has come from Sheffield council via sponsorships. This wouldn't continue if they moved outside of Sheffield.

Sponsorships ?  They pay the club for doing grass-roots work in schools.  It's a helluvan assumption that that would change if we played a few miles over the frontier.  For a start, it doesn't necessarily mean the club's administration would be based outside Sheffield.

Why short term??

What's the long term option that makes any move "Short term".

I think Owlerton will be a terrible move. I only went once and the view is awful, but I understand they need something.

Good question. Have they given up on the idea of someone building a ground for them?

No not at all, nor have Oldham.

The suspicion is the new ground is council lip service, and if crowds drop at Owlerton then the council have their excuse.

The council aren't the people behind the prospective new ground at Don Valley. They are supportive of the idea, but it's not their money that will be building it, if it happens - it would have to come from other sources. Hence all the other proposed things around it/on the same site - e.g schools, college, more sports science related stuff to tie in with the English Institute of Sport site there.

Owlerton isn't a great ground, but if it's a choice between that and playing somewhere miles away, it will do for the time being. It's not a long term solution, but nobody at the Eagles thinks it is (as far as I can tell). We'll see what comes of the meeting with the owners and the council on Friday.

Bristol Sonics Rugby League

2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions

2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists

2008 RLC Team Of The Year

2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions

www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

The new ground is nothing to do with the Council, its going to be privately funded. The club are still very hopeful of getting a new ground and there has been movement on the plans since they were first announced. As with all things in life it comes down to securing the necessary funding.

why dont they just give andy farrell his medal now?- ray french before the challenge cup final 1998

No not at all, nor have Oldham.

The suspicion is the new ground is council lip service, and if crowds drop at Owlerton then the council have their excuse.

As WCE and BE say, council involvement is a popular Eagles myth. 

Sponsorships ?  They pay the club for doing grass-roots work in schools.  It's a helluvan assumption that that would change if we played a few miles over the frontier.  For a start, it doesn't necessarily mean the club's administration would be based outside Sheffield.

Hmm. Just how much "nett" rental was being paid for Bramhall Lane and DVS?

How does a club with attendances the size og Keighley's afford a squad with costs the same as Leigh?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Hmm. Just how much "nett" rental was being paid for Bramhall Lane and DVS?

How does a club with attendances the size og Keighley's afford a squad with costs the same as Leigh?

It's Bramall.

And it's owned by Sheffield United.  What's the council got to do with that ?

What do you mean - "nett rental" ?

Hard work on the non-playing side of the business.  And, anyway, how have you got hold of the costs of the Sheffield and Leigh squads ?  And are Sheffield's attendances really the size of Keighley's ?

Come on, Johnny - you're just making up facts to fit your bias, aren't you ? :onthequiet:

From what Ive heard about contract offers for next season, its safe to assume Leigh's squad will be paid a lot more than the Eagles squad!

Just rumour, brummie-eagle.  Only HMRC ever really know. ;)

Well, the rumours doing the rounds are that a number of Championship clubs (and Sheffield aren't in this group) have taken the "sh** or bust" option with regards to assembling squads next year, in order to guarantee being in place for promotion/in the SL split mix-up.

How true that is I don't know.

Traditionally Sheffield have been able to punch above their weight because the corporate side of things is usually quite good, plus Mark Aston is from the Gary Hetherington school of management and therefore good at wheeling and dealing, getting stuff for nothing/cheap etc.

Bristol Sonics Rugby League

2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions

2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists

2008 RLC Team Of The Year

2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions

www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

Well, the rumours doing the rounds are that a number of Championship clubs (and Sheffield aren't in this group) have taken the "sh** or bust" option with regards to assembling squads next year, in order to guarantee being in place for promotion/in the SL split mix-up.

Guarantee !!

Interesting.