Gentle tipped to leave Hull

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our new blue print sounds like a carbon copy of the KR statement when Sandercock arrived to me. So instead of fighting for and spending over the odds for has been Australians we will do it in the city limits instead.

On a more sober note just shows how hard sport is when the coach sounds like he got sacked on the same day the players who lost by a record score where celebrating the season on the lash.

Hull is supposedly a League city but FC are full of players from other clubs and overseas. The only way to be right at the top consistently in the SL salary cap era is to build most of your side around great local talent ID and development. It amazes me that Hull after so much time in SL are still mediocre in this respect and should look closely at Wigan and Leeds in particular if they want to see how to become successful.

Hull's recruitment has also been pretty haphazard too, and from the opening round they looked like they were still a few players off the very top clubs. McRae and Gentle going sounds about right though as a shift in emphasis and patience is required. There is no reason why given time Hull can't be the top club in the game - as much as this Lancastrian would prefer otherwise!

Edited by Mushy

Hull is supposedly a League city but FC are full of players from other clubs and overseas. The only way to be right at the top consistently in the SL salary cap era is to build most of your side around great local talent ID and development. It amazes me that Hull after so much time in SL are still mediocre in this respect and should look closely at Wigan and Leeds in particular if they want to see how to become successful.

Hull's recruitment has also been pretty haphazard too, and from the opening round they looked like they were still a few players off the very top clubs. McRae and Gentle going sounds about right though as a shift in emphasis and patience is required. There is no reason why given time Hull can't be the top club in the game - as much as this Lancastrian would prefer otherwise!

This is due to the woeful youth structures that were in place before Pearson took over (we'd not brought anyone through since Tom Briscoe in 2008). In two years, we've brought through Crooks, Lineham, Shaul, Green, Kent, Bowden and others are also getting some time.

In the mean time, we've had to pad out with young English "squad players" to give us depth and offer a bit of potential.

But we NEED size and strength, and this is where Gentle got it massively wrong. He went for a mobile pack, but then didn't give them the attacking structures to use it! Manu replaced with Ellis (not the same kind of player), Moa with Paea (a year later), O'Meley with Paleasina. Lynch with (rumoured) Con Mika. Tickle with ?. The starting recruitment has been horrendous. With Briscoe going, and possibly Yeaman, we're going to be weak on the left side as well.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Have East Hull had any success under Radford? I'm sure ehbandit can tell us.

I think they won the premier NCL within 2 seasons of promotion, beat Swinton in challenge cup, also won the ncl grand final and national cup in same season, and the a team won the Yorkshire cup! so I think he was fairly successful! but obviously this is a different level, however, he is good.

Edited by ehbandit

I think they won the premier NCL within 2 seasons of promotion, beat Swinton in challenge cup, also won the ncl grand final and national cup in same season, and the a team won the Yorkshire cup! so I think he was fairly successful! but obviously this is a different level, however, he is good.

I also think he coached hull RUFC to promotion in his first year coaching them, I'm not sure tho.

I stand corrected. Thanks ehb.

rldfsignature.jpg

Not sure about Radford and Last taking over long term.

Sure, Radford's not the sort of bloke you'd look forward to an after match discussion with as a player after a performance like Thursday's, so that might help but he's not experienced enough imo.

This would be seen as another cheap option and would probably end in more tears as usual.

Perhaps Pearson will give them next season to prove themselves which I'd be happy with. My club always seem to give long contracts or contract extensions to coaches who simply don't produce consistency.

One thing's for sure, you won't have any player who thinks he's bigger than the club while Radford's in charge. 

Spoken like a man who still bears the scars from Len Casey's time as Hull coach.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I stand corrected. Thanks ehb.

Believe it or not I do know a thing or two about the game and wouldn't have said it had it not been the truth. I could have also told you myself had I not been in an archive looking at Hull KR's annual reports from 1897-1976.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

Believe it or not I do know a thing or two about the game and wouldn't have said it had it not been the truth. I could have also told you myself had I not been in an archive looking at Hull KR's annual reports from 1897-1976.

I'm sure you could. Sorry for any offence that may have been taken.

rldfsignature.jpg

This is due to the woeful youth structures that were in place before Pearson took over (we'd not brought anyone through since Tom Briscoe in 2008). In two years, we've brought through Crooks, Lineham, Shaul, Green, Kent, Bowden and others are also getting some time.

In the mean time, we've had to pad out with young English "squad players" to give us depth and offer a bit of potential.

But we NEED size and strength, and this is where Gentle got it massively wrong. He went for a mobile pack, but then didn't give them the attacking structures to use it! Manu replaced with Ellis (not the same kind of player), Moa with Paea (a year later), O'Meley with Paleasina. Lynch with (rumoured) Con Mika. Tickle with ?. The starting recruitment has been horrendous. With Briscoe going, and possibly Yeaman, we're going to be weak on the left side as well.

Go on say it, you know you want to .

Will I ever see a proven coach in charge of my club?

If Radford replaces him it will be a huge mistake. Success with East Hull is one thing, working as an assistant another, but he should go and cut his teeth elsewhere in the Championship before taking on a club like FC.

Great point.

We are mostly loving what DP is doing for us at Cas but anyone at Hull needs to look at the length & depth of the apprenticeship he served (and some of the pain) before they make an appointment.

Good luck wifh it.....

I BLAME AGAR!!!!!!

At last!
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Spoken like a man who still bears the scars from Len Casey's time as Hull coach.

I probably have told you this before but whatever.

I'll never forget a shareholders' meeting I once attended when Casey was coach. Hull had just lost a derby at home against Rovers during which Lee Crooks vomited on the touchline in full view of the crowd. There were plenty of accusations made to Casey at that meeting about Crooks playing whilst unfit through drink. Casey denied this several times until one lady said " You must think we're stupid".

He finally lost his rag and admitted " a half pis sed Crooksy is better than anything else weve got".

The silence that followed that astonishing utterance lasted, what seemed like ages, probably because his coaching career at Hull had just died.

Edited by Old Frightful

I probably have told you this before but whatever.

I'll never forget a shareholders' meeting I once attended when Casey was coach. Hull had just lost a derby at home against Rovers during which Lee Crooks vomited on the touchline in full view of the crowd. There were plenty of accusations made to Casey at that meeting about Crooks playing whilst unfit through drink. Casey denied this several times until one lady said " You must think we're stupid".

He finally lost his rag and admitted " a half pis sed Crooksy is better than anything else weve got".

The silence that followed that astonishing utterance lasted, what seemed like ages, probably because his coaching career at Hull had just died.

You have, mate.

But a good yarn is always worth repeating.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Meet the men lined up to replace Gentle...

Lee Radford, Andy Last, Paul Cooke  :blink:  and maybe even Sean Long  :blink:  :blink:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/hull-fc/radford-set-to-replace-gentle-as-head-coach-at-hull-fc-1-6076062

Is that someone's idea of a dream team, cos I'm already fearing bloody nightmares... :(