Omar Khan and Gerry Sutcliffe to step down at Bradford

Bradford Bulls chairman Omar Khan and fellow directors Gerry Sutcliffe MP and Vipin Joshi are to step down.

In a statement released by the club today, Omar Khan said, "Following an exciting year, it is sad that due to ill health, I intend to hand over the reins to new owners, Ryan Whitcut and Mark Moore of Bedzrus, subject to RFL approval.  Ryan and Mark both share the same passion as I do for the club.
"My objective, together with Gerry Sutcliffe MP, to move the club from the threat of extinction has been achieved and I have spent every single day for the past year at the club in order to reinvigorate it and bring it back to life.  A lot of hard work and investment has gone into Bulls and now it’s time to ensure the longevity of the club, which is part of Bradford’s Heritage.  The club is in a much stronger position and the time is now right to move it forward.
"Bradford Bulls will always be part of my life and I will never forget the kindness, loyalty and friendship shown to me and my family by the supporters and everyone involved at the club.
"I would like to thank all the Board of Directors who have worked tirelessly with me to save the club and can confirm that Gerry Sutcliffe MP and Vipin Joshi also intend to step down as Directors."

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @leagueexpress and TikTok @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

Statement from Omar Khan.

Following an exciting year, it is sad that due to ill health, I intend to hand over the reins to new owners, Ryan Whitcut and Mark Moore of Bedzrus, subject to RFL approval.  Ryan and Mark both share the same passion as I do for the club.

My objective, together with Gerry Sutcliffe MP, to move the club from the threat of extinction has been achieved and I have spent every single day for the past year at the club in order to reinvigorate it and bring it back to life.  A lot of hard work and investment has gone into Bulls and now it’s time to ensure the longevity of the club, which is part of Bradford’s Heritage.  The club is in a much stronger position and the time is now right to move it forward.

Bradford Bulls will always be part of my life and I will never forget the kindness, loyalty and friendship shown to me and my family by the supporters and everyone involved at the club.

I would like to thank all the Board of Directors who have worked tirelessly with me to save the club and can confirm that Gerry Sutcliffe MP and Vipin Joshi also intend to step down as Directors.

T&A report.

(and subsequent T&A message board bitchfest)

Are the new owners very well heeled persons with substantial free capital to plough into the Bulls ? If so, it's all good. If not there could be another meltdown in the future.

I wish them well but I think the days of the Bulls being regarded as a premium big time player in ERL are history for now. They are mid to bottom end playoff maybes along with cas, Trinity, Hull KR, Widnes etc.

I wish them well but I think the days of the Bulls being regarded as a premium big time player in ERL are history for now. They are mid to bottom end playoff maybes along with cas, Trinity, Hull KR, Widnes etc.

Even if Omar had stayed, that's been obvious for a long time.

Edited by Amber Avenger

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Rescuing an ailing club is clearly a thankless task judging by the T&A comments.

He's best out of it I reckon.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Sadly I predict very tough times ahead for Bradford. .

On what basis?

The game is readjusting such that clubs without enough money to compete aren't stuck at the bottom of SL, and that clubs can go down and come back up without any great disasters.

Superleague standards are being slackened right off to accommodate and there's no reason Bradford should hit "very very difficult times" at all.

If the gentlemen taking over the club do not have the money Mr. Davey has - and not many do - then Bradford won't be a top four side as Fartown attract the new fans and pick of the best players, but to predict what you predict seemingly IMHO flies in the face of the new arrangements.

That someone is keen to take them on (Mr. Khan & Mr. Sutcliffe I suspect merely kept the club afloat until circumstances changed) is a sign times ahead will be easier for the club.

Edited by The Parksider

Well 28 years a fan and I'm happy with it. People can speculate, pour scorn, make things up but why act like a 9 year old? The plans they have are a continuation of what Khan planned. The amount they paid is not allowed to be announced though. If Khan has made some money from it so be it.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

I might be getting the wrong end of the stick here but I think Ryan Whitcut is Omar’s sort of right hand man anyway in a couple of his other businesses, so there is certainly something going on. It’s frustrating as despite a supposed “open door” policy of the new regime, we are slowly being left more and more in the dark. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think it’s panic stations just yet, although considering they are trying to get people to renew their season tickets at the moment, the timing barely inspires confidence.

Anyway Robbie Hunter-Paul is the new CEO. Best of luck to him, it’ll certainly be a thankless task. Although my gut feeling is it seems like an appointment that will appease a section of the fans rather than one that seems best for the club. Big season for us next year, make or break in a way.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

I have heard that te blokes taking over have been successful at large companies, making a lot of money in the process. Maybe they have decided that its time to make money for themselves and not their boss and so go it alone with a furniture business. Not many companies look healthy in the first couple of years.

Good luck to them!

HUNTER - PAUL IS NEW BULLS CEO

Bradford Bulls have today announced changes to the Board and Administration structure following Ryan Whitcut and Mark Moore’s purchase of the club from Omar Khan.
Whitcut and Moore will be Joint Chairmen and in changes to the club’s Administration Robbie Hunter – Paul will take up the position of CEO.  Paul, who returned to the Bulls in July this year after winning every honour in the Game in a decade of success as a player, was given the title of Deputy Director but will now assume the CEO role at the club.  In another change to the Administration at the club Roy Davison will assume the title of Assistant Commercial Director. There will be no changes to the Football structure.
Hunter – Paul is both delighted and excited about his new role and the Bulls future.
“As the pinnacle and face of the club, I think it’s important that the position is a strong one with the responsibilities to go with it.
“I’m excited about it and I don’t need to even mention the passion I have for the Bulls because it’s so well documented.
“I’m trying to bring the club back to where it belongs and it’s exciting.”
Hunter – Paul also revealed that Whitcut and Moore will seek other investment for the club but that the future does not depend upon this happening.

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @leagueexpress and TikTok @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

I might be getting the wrong end of the stick here but I think Ryan Whitcut is Omar’s sort of right hand man anyway in a couple of his other businesses, so there is certainly something going on. It’s frustrating as despite a supposed “open door” policy of the new regime, we are slowly being left more and more in the dark. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think it’s panic stations just yet, although considering they are trying to get people to renew their season tickets at the moment, the timing barely inspires confidence.

Anyway Robbie Hunter-Paul is the new CEO. Best of luck to him, it’ll certainly be a thankless task. Although my gut feeling is it seems like an appointment that will appease a section of the fans rather than one that seems best for the club. Big season for us next year, make or break in a way.

Ryan has been CEO since Omar took the club on, so should by now be up to speed with how it all works and I can't see any real difference to how the club moves forward. It seems, reading through the lines of Robbie's statement in the T&A, that his move to CEO was on the cards when he came back from Hudds which, if it is indeed the case, means this isn't a sudden move but something which has been planned for a few months, at least.

Incidentally, it is only OK who is citing ill health, Gerry Sutcliffe already has fulltime job as an MP so, in reality, was never going to be a full time chairman as well. Same goes for Vipin Joshi, who I guess works within the Omar Khan group.

Whatever happens in the future, I think Omar and Gerry desrve rich thanks from all at the Bulls for what they did, as at the time there really was no-one else.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Bedzrus isn't a very large company. Sadly I predict very tough times ahead for Bradford. Seems a very very difficult time at the moment for rugby league.

I once had the misfortune to buy a bed from bedzrus over the internet.  It arrived damaged and the company were awful shouting at me down the phone and saying 'see you in court'.  I eventually got my money back once my credit card company got involved.  If you don't believe me, Google 'bedzrus reviews' and see what comes up.  A very unpleasant company.

If these are the type of people that are going to be running Bradford then I fear for there future. 

Edited by JackBauer

Actually the issue isn't about individuals, it's about the lack of stability, so my comment about RH-P was uncalled for. 

However thinking on those lines, it's a move unlikely to improve sponsors and fans confidence in the club. I believe the club needed the same ownership team for at least another season as it is another season on reduced funding. This is even more important bearing in mind it was the OK team that signed up to the deal in the first place. Changing ownership now is plain wrong. If OK is ill then there is even more reason for the original team to pull together and stick to the plan they signed up to. This sends out a strong message about business as usual. By effectively shipping out OK and the Gang (a 1970's band with a one hit wonder) weren't true to their word. My money would therefore remain in my pocket. My thoughts are that he's cut and run leaving less equipped people to bear the brunt of what's round the corner. I don't blame him but he would have been better off keeping well clear in the first place.

Too be honest I find it difficult to conjure up any sympathy for any of those that run the Bradford club.  Yep, for the fans I have a lot but maybe I'm bias as like a lot of people I contributed towards their "save the club" fund although a Leeds supporter. OK it wasn't a massive amount but it would have paid for my season tickets at Leeds, so it was a reasonable amount. 

Never heard anything since, once the money went out my account.    So unfortunately I don't give a ................