Spain Rugby League (Merged threads)

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent!

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Article in the English language version of Spanish newspaper El Pais showing how the game is developing rapidly. I sense that Broozer may now start to think about a Paris mini-break.

http://elpais.com/elpais/2014/01/17/inenglish/1389960500_324146.html

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

Article in the English language version of Spanish newspaper El Pais showing how the game is developing rapidly. I sense that Broozer may now start to think about a Paris mini-break.

http://elpais.com/elpais/2014/01/17/inenglish/1389960500_324146.html

No plans for Paris, but since I decided to visit my Colombian friend in Spain, things seem to be kicking off in Spain and there are talks of Colombia v Jamaica.

I may start taking requests for where people want RL to spring up before I book my next trip!

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

• 4 weeks later...

First Spanish Rugby League coaches qualified

The Asociación Española de Rugby League (AERL) has hosted its first technical course with 24 new local coaches receiving their Level 1 certificate after the two-day gathering in Albal, Valencia.
Six clubs were present - Irreductibles Mislata RL, RL Albal Valencian Warriors, Rugby Sciences Valencia, CR Edetans Montcada, Alzira Rugby Club, UER Montcada – in addition to a delegation from Madrid, to receive instruction from RLEF Coaching Manager Martin Crick and fellow tutor, Spanish-speaking Tiziano Franchini from the Federazione Italiana Rugby League.
The AERL hailed the: “Extraordinary work of Martin and Tiziano and the great atmosphere created by the course. Thanks to the RLEF the work that was carried out has been unforgettable for all of Spanish rugby league,” said secretary general Aitor Davila.
Juan Pablo Range from Irreductibles Mislata RL added: "Everyone is more engaged and eager to grow this project now. Today we all have clear concepts and even more enthusiasm and love for rugby league."
Gonzalo Morro of Valencia Sciences commented: "Having professionals like Martin and Tiziano for the whole weekend was a luxury - today I feel like a great professional."
The AERL expects to run a five-match club championship this year.

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @leagueexpress and TikTok @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

• 4 weeks later...

Taken from www.espanarugbyleague.es

SPAIN TO MAKE INTERNATIONAL DEBUT AGAINST BELGIUM

Starting from the 26th of March, a squad of 20 players will gather under the guidance of the Spain's national head coach Darren Fisher. The list was unveiled today by Mr Fisher himself. Of the 20 players selected, coming from the five different clubs of Spain's domestic league, every one of them is capable of making the final cut of 17, according to Fisher.

Spain will travel to Brussels on the 23rd May to play their first official RLEF match. The 20-man Spanish squad is as follows:

CIENCIAS RUGBY VALENCIA : JV Gómez, H. González, S. Zuleta, E. Pérez- Fuster, G. Morro, P. Mayoral, M. Dulley; CRAC: J . Losada , JJ Cortés , S. Linares; IRREDUCTIBLES MISLATA RL / CREM: JP Rango, P. Conejero, R. Perello, V. Carbonell Erasmus ( Toulouse XIII) and VALENCIAN WARRIORS RL: P. Hickley, A. Davila, L. Lahuerta Thorp, J. Ferrer, D. Cabañero, X. Fraile.

Best of luck to them. I hope they have a home fixture some point soon (any excuse for me to go to Spain!)

Brooza, you have got your wish, the return fixture is in Valencia in June! Buen viaje!

So Belgium v Spain in Brussels on 24th May and Spain v Belgium in Valencia on 8th June.

Brooza, you have got your wish, the return fixture is in Valencia in June! Buen viaje!

So Belgium v Spain in Brussels on 24th May and Spain v Belgium in Valencia on 8th June.

Cheers, will look into that (June being the most awkward month for it to be, what with my friend visiting the UK that month anyway!). I'll check what dates she's over here

SPANISH RUGBY LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP KICKS OFF

History was made on Sunday as the first Spanish rugby league championship kicked off with a match between Valencian Warriors and CRAC in Muro de Alcoy, Alicante.

Around 300 fans attended at the La Llometa stadium to see CRAC win 28-18 in the Campeonato Nacional de Rugby League.

Victorious coach Juan Cotes said, “This was a really hard-fought victory against a strong team. This competition will be very good and I think rugby league in Spain has a great future.”

His opposite number  Javi Poveda was equally encouraged, “I think the game was electric,” he noted. “They worked very hard and have improved a lot since the last time we played in a friendly and it's just left for me to congratulate them. The AERL [Asociacion Espanol Rugby League] and RLEF are working well in the organisation of the championship in Spain. It will be very good to see more matches like this.”

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

Anybody know if this is confirmed ? Tried sending email via Belgium RL site but keeps coming up with error message. If it's being played in Brussels can do it as a day trip but knowing the vagaries of RL . . .

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Just tried their website again and attempt to send message via the 'Join Us' option just generates message 'Owner email address not set'.

Been given contact email by RLEF so messaging that but RLEF say game fixed for that day in Brussels.

Thanks to Danny at RLEF for his help.

• 2 weeks later...

venues now confirmed for the games

WESTERN EUROPE TEST FIXTURES

Netherlands v Germany, venue TBA, 2 May

Belgium v Spain, Centre Sportif de Neder-Over-Heembeek, Brussels, 24 May

Spain v Belgium, Campo de Rugby la Pelosa, Valencia, 8 June

Belgium v Netherlands, Centre Sportif de Neder-Over-Heembeek, Brussels, 28 June

http://www.rugbyleagueplanet.com/rugby-league-nations/91-rugby-league-test-match-or-international-game/1622-spain-germany-belgium-holland-netherlands-announce-rugby-league-test-fixtures

Still no news on kick off time ? Sent a few emails but no answer so looks like I won't be going, as ferries rapidly filling as it's Bank Holiday weekend. Price already over £80 return (travelling at silly times) so will go to HKR-London instead.

The first group of nineteen Spanish referees have received their Level 1 qualification following a three-day visit from RLEF tutor Phil Smith in Valencia. The training course supports the first ever Spanish championship, which kicked off in late March between five clubs.

Smith, a member of the RLEF’s first Match Official Development Squad, which was formed in February, said: “The delegates were all players from clubs spread across the region and their passion and commitment for the game shone through. With their know-how of the basics improving they can now go back and help raise standards in their own domestic competition, which is making rapid progress in such a short period of time.”

After the course, Smith observed a Spanish Championship match between Irreductibles/CREM and CRAC which the home side won 38-30, with three of the course graduates officiating the first half and Smith refereeing the second.

Asociacion Espagna de Rugby League general secretary, Aitor Davilas is pleased with the progress being made by rugby league’s newest nation:

“The press in Spain is talking about rugby league more than ever,” he noted. Phil's work has helped everyone become more aware of the sport and of our positive vision as an organization.”

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

• 1 month later...

The AERL - Spanish Association of Rugby League - is working hard to promote the sport in the country.  The national team will face Belgium in their first-ever international on May 24th, having taken delivery of the inaugural kit.  A five team competition, already underway, looks as though it will have a sixth side from Valencia in the near future and schools are set to start playing the sport in October.

ASOCIACIÓN ESPAÑOLA DE RUGBY LEAGUE

erl@outlook.es

Archived