Book thread: what are you reading?

Just taken delivery of three Compton MacKenzie* books, 'Whisky galore', 'Keep the Home Guard turning' and 'Rockets galore'.

The first two for nostalgic pleasure and the third because I didn't know of it before.

*trivia - MacKenzie was also the founder and original editor of the venerable 'Gramophone' magazine.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Currently reading 'The Three Musketeers' for the first time in at least 20 years. I'd forgotten how much fun it is. :)

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Speaking of: Blue Jam is currently being repeated on R4E.

Got MP3s of the lot, transferred from my cassette recordings of the original broadcast. B)

Not something I listen to that often, mind - disturbing stuff!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

John Grisham - The Litigators 

An absolutely brilliant read

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

• 2 weeks later...

Nearing the end of 'Rockets Galore' by Compton MacKenzie. Another enoyable tale from the Isles of Todday.

Now, here's a thing: the BBC reckons you've only read 6 of these books. My score was 46, and that's with some quite embarrassing omissions.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've just read my first couple of Jack Reacher novels, probably won't bother with any more, they all seem to be the same.

Started the first one the other day.  Enjoying it so far.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Nearing the end of 'Rockets Galore' by Compton MacKenzie. Another enoyable tale from the Isles of Todday.

Now, here's a thing: the BBC reckons you've only read 6 of these books. My score was 46, and that's with some quite embarrassing omissions.

35 that I know I have, there are some others including some of the Dickens that I think I've read as I had  a collection as a teenager but didn't count those as I wasn't certain.

A few good ideas for the books still to read.

Edited by Red Willow

35 that I know I have, there are some others including some of the Dickens that I think I've read as I had  a collection as a teenager but didn't count those as I wasn't certain.

A few good ideas for the books still to read.

I scored 28.  You really have to wonder how some of the books got on that list though.  There are a few that would make better bog roll than classic collection.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just starting Arthur C.Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama, bought on Kindle as part of the Rama omnibus.

I read the first book many many years ago and loved its though-provoking nature. I read the first sequel and didn't like it quite as much, so let's see if the other two volumes are any good at all.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mine was 50.

Some of the selection seem a bit strange, but I suppose that is the nature of these things....... A reminder of a number of books I have intended to read.

Mine was 50.

Some of the selection seem a bit strange, but I suppose that is the nature of these things....... A reminder of a number of books I have intended to read.

There were certainly one or two that made me add to my wishlist.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just starting Arthur C.Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama, bought on Kindle as part of the Rama omnibus.

I read the first book many many years ago and loved its though-provoking nature. I read the first sequel and didn't like it quite as much, so let's see if the other two volumes are any good at all.

Rendezvous with Rama is the first book in the series, surely? I've read it a few weeks ago after I spotted it in a charity shop - it is good and I'm looking forward to the others.

Series:-

Rendezvous with Rama (1972) ISBN 978-0-553-28789-9

Rama II (1989) ISBN 978-0-553-28658-8

The Garden of Rama (1991) ISBN 978-0-553-29817-8

Rama Revealed (1993) ISBN 978-0-553-56947-6

Proxima, by Stephen Baxter.

Mr Baxter like to blow things up - in Moonseed he blew up Venus in the first few pages, eventually followed by Arthur's Seat, Edinburgh, Scotland, Greate Britain, and then pretty much planet Earth - and in Proxima his destructive instincts haven't deserted him. Before that, though, there is our migration to the stars to describe...

Rendezvous with Rama is the first book in the series, surely? I've read it a few weeks ago after I spotted it in a charity shop - it is good and I'm looking forward to the others.

Series:-

Rendezvous with Rama (1972) ISBN 978-0-553-28789-9

Rama II (1989) ISBN 978-0-553-28658-8

The Garden of Rama (1991) ISBN 978-0-553-29817-8

Rama Revealed (1993) ISBN 978-0-553-56947-6

Yes, it is the original, and the only one written by Clarke on his own. My original post could have been clearer. I have read Rama II which wasn't as good, but still worth a read.

But I figured I'd get the omnibus on Kindle, because it's there. I tend to go for collected editions where available.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Showing my geeky side here, but I’m reading ‘Marvel Comics: The Untold Story’ by Sean Howe. A really comprehensive look at the history of Marvel from way back before World War 2, up to the present day. A lot of focus on the likes of Stan ‘The Man’ Lee, Jack Kirby et al on the early days so far, but since they created it all you’d expect that. Basically the lesson I’m learning so far is that a lot of people who created this stuff just didn’t get their due.

If you like comics (or the history of publishing actually), you’ll get a real kick out of it. Not come across one boring section of the book yet, it’s a real readable style the author has. I’ll go back to my batcave now (I know that’s DC by the way!)

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

As well as reading the first 'Rama' book while commuting, I have also (at home) been re-reading the truly wonderful They're a weird Mob by Nino Culotta. 

I'll probably have to start in on the sequels now - that's usually the pattern. No complaints from me, though. :) 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

One of the great joys in life is to read a book in a single sitting.  Did that with The Ghost by Robert Harris on Tuesday night, after a false start a month or two back.

Cracking read.   It's interesting that the (alleged) three word comment by Tony Blair when he finished reading it was "The cheeky ****er"

Not sure they're friends any more!

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.