Book thread: what are you reading?

E.F.Benson's Mapp & Lucia books, in a  Kindle omnibus. The attritional warfare of social one-upmanship, fought between appalling, delusionally pretentious people. Written with a light touch, as well as exquisitely polite viciousness. It is a big collection, so I am dipping in and out of it.

Also revisiting my childhood with some of Giovanni Guareschi's Don Camillo stories.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished reading The Invincibles by Mark Flanagan about the 82 Australian tourists, bit disappointed actually, didn't tell me anything I don't already know and the actual tour is probably less than 50% of the book. Alright you need to set the scene and discuss the aftermath but not to the detriment of the real subject.

That it's nearly 40 year's after the event doesn't help, we all know that if someone farts in the other lot there will be 3 book's rushed out within weeks so it's good that it has been documented but a pity that it's so sterile, when all the participants are no longer around and the chance of litigation has disappeared the real story might emerge, pity I also won't be around to read it?

Just released, Jay Rayner's latest book, My Last Supper. As enjoyable as his non-fiction usually is.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've come across a book in a second hand store that is retailing at £100. It's called "gods angels beware" by Quentin crisp. Next to the price tag is a note claiming the book is rare in hardback and usually shifts around £280/300. Anybody know why? The paperback version is £12.99. I understand the hardback format is rare,but surely not for laying out an extra £270 or so.

John Wyndham - The Kraken Wakes. My favourite of his novels, plus the topic of rising sea levels is more pertinent now than the author might ever have imagined.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

After watching Peter Hitchens on a book review I've actually gone above and beyond and bought a book about Thatcher! He suggested that "The Iron Lady: Margaret Thatcher: From Grocer's Daughter to Iron Lady" by John Campbell is a particularly good read from an author who could never have been described as a fan of the woman.  I shall test out his thoughts!

I'm about halfway through 'Paperboy' by Tony McCauley and I'm lovin' it! 

I've been reading a lot about Northern Ireland recently and this is one of the best so far. It is a memoir about the author when he was a kid working as a paperboy on the Shankhill Road at the height of the troubles and what it was like to grow up in that environment. Fascinating, funny and entertaining, highly recommend! 

It is the first of a series of 4 about the authors life and I will certainly be ordering the others off amazon as soon as I'm done with this one. ?

On 17/08/2019 at 23:09, Futtocks said:

Also revisiting my childhood with some of Giovanni Guareschi's Don Camillo stories.

I remember those from when I was a kid, although I think they're not really children's books. Have they aged well?

10 minutes ago, JonM said:

I remember those from when I was a kid, although I think they're not really children's books. Have they aged well?

While they deal with the (allegedly) grown-up themes of politics and religion, they are still suitable for younger readers, because of the humour and that it doesn't get graphically violent or mucky.

I read them in a glow of nostalgia, so I don't know how they'd go down with a new reader. But if you used to enjoy the tales of Don Camillo and Peppone, I think you'll probably enjoy them again.

• Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

A shame the second-hand prices are so high for this masterpiece - I'd love to read the whole thing: https://thesetpieces.com/features/sweeper-steve-bruce-review/

• Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

33 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Erebus: the story of a ship. Michael Palin. 

Excellent read so far, page 138.

Based on the TV documentary. 

Recommended. 

A condensed version was also Radio 4's Book of the Week, just after the book came out. A fascinating slice of history.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 16/09/2019 at 23:39, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'm about halfway through 'Paperboy' by Tony McCauley and I'm lovin' it! 

I've been reading a lot about Northern Ireland recently and this is one of the best so far. It is a memoir about the author when he was a kid working as a paperboy on the Shankhill Road at the height of the troubles and what it was like to grow up in that environment. Fascinating, funny and entertaining, highly recommend! 

It is the first of a series of 4 about the authors life and I will certainly be ordering the others off amazon as soon as I'm done with this one. ?

Finished this. Fantastic read about a normal kid growing up in working class Northern Ireland, one of my most enjoyable reads in a long time and already got the sequel ordered! 

• 2 weeks later...

Just read Ben Elton's latest on my Hols ' Identity Crisis ' yet another masterpiece looking at our modern world set within murder mystery , but also full of humour , fitted in another of Tim Marshalls looks at the world and how we will never solve the problems we have in it with ' Divided ' 

Following the death of Stephen Moore, I was prompted to revisit David Lodge's 'Campus Trilogy', starting with 'Nice Work'. 

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Niels said:

I'm reading a Danish crime novel "The Chestnut man". 

It's by the man who wrote The Killing for tv. 

Danish Politics is featured and the EU to a certain extent.

Any good? 

Got stuck with no book Friday night so started and now need to finish one off the missus 's books. A Barbara Erskine one - "Times Legacy".... Bit like a low rent Daphne de Mourier but actually areadable bit of lady fiction

Scandy-crime more my thing... Love the Wallender books

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Any good? 

Got stuck with no book Friday night so started and now need to finish one off the missus 's books. A Barbara Erskine one - "Times Legacy".... Bit like a low rent Daphne de Mourier but actually areadable bit of lady fiction

Scandy-crime more my thing... Love the Wallender books

Thanks for your reply. 

Yes it is very good, similar in style to the Wallander books which I like too. It is similar to The Killing I  that it features crime and Politics.

If you have a kindle it is on offer at 99p in the monthly deals.

53 minutes ago, Niels said:

Thanks for your reply. 

Yes it is very good, similar in style to the Wallander books which I like too. It is similar to The Killing I  that it features crime and Politics.

If you have a kindle it is on offer at 99p in the monthly deals.

Cheers Niels will have a look

Not a kindle man but will have a look on ebay! 

• Like 1

Hundred Years War Vol.IV Cursed Kings by Jonathan Sumption.

I can't help myself as a history addict.  Trouble with this amazing series is that by the  time  I finish Vol.4 I''ll need to go back to Vol 1 to refresh.  Unless the final Vol 5 is published.  They tend to come along every 5 years or so.