Book thread: what are you reading?

52 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Keep us updated on that one. I love Bill bryson but got a few too many other books lined up at the moment to get to this anytime soon. 

I have finished it and it really is worth reading.

My daughter is reading it now and keeps phoning to say " What about....."

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

On 26/10/2019 at 21:13, Saint 1 said:

Books 99 and 100 for the year are The Gratitude Diaries and Why We Sleep. Both are really good but the latter in particular, although it is also a very alarming book. Both have actually resulted in behaviour change too!

Seconded. "Why we sleep" felt like it could have done with a bit more editing. I guess we all know that exercise, diet and sleep are important for good physical and mental health, but the data seems to pretty strongly say that sleep is the most important of the three. Probably not a good book to read if you don't have any choice about shiftwork or frequent jetlag though...

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

100 Novels That Shaped the World..........

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/494P41NCbVYHlY319VwGbxp/explore-the-list-of-100-novels-that-shaped-our-world

The only ones I have read are Discworld series, V for Vendetta, To Kill a Mockingbird & 1/2 of Dune

Bridget Jones' Diary "shaped our world"  ?@?#?$?%?^?&?*?(

I've read 1984, The Quiet American, Pride and Prejudice, I think I read Tales of the City by Amistead Maupin, Lord of the Flies, Brave New World. I've read other books by some of those writers, like Wodehouse and Ursula Le Guin.

• Thanks 1

Nearly finished re-reading the first 'Flashman' book. I'm thinking of doing the lot in sequence, but not uninterrupted by other books for contrast.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Nearly finished re-reading the first 'Flashman' book. I'm thinking of doing the lot in sequence, but not uninterrupted by other books for contrast.

Loved the flashman books that I have read so far will have to seek out a couple more,getting back into reading as the weather changes and just finished Stephen frys Heroesand Lonely Boy by ex pistol Steve Jones and half way through All Together Now covering the 1981 people's march for jobs

34 minutes ago, Route66 said:

Loved the flashman books that I have read so far will have to seek out a couple more,getting back into reading as the weather changes and just finished Stephen frys Heroesand Lonely Boy by ex pistol Steve Jones and half way through All Together Now covering the 1981 people's march for jobs

If you get the complete Flashman collection on Kindle, not only do you save a bit of money, but you can tap between the main text and the extensive historical footnotes/appendices easily. The best way to read them, I find.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

First Flashman movie finished, so a change of pace with George Orwell's Down and out in Paris and London, a book I haven't read in about 30 years.

I am currently kicking myself for taking so long to revisit it.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 06/11/2019 at 13:24, Bleep1673 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/494P41NCbVYHlY319VwGbxp/explore-the-list-of-100-novels-that-shaped-our-world

The only ones I have read are Discworld series, V for Vendetta, To Kill a Mockingbird & 1/2 of Dune

I've read 54 of them. Very different set of books from the usual lists.

43 minutes ago, JonM said:

I've read 54 of them. Very different set of books from the usual lists.

It's an interesting list. Quick count, I've read 30 of them. But it's prompted me to plan to read a few more.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 06/11/2019 at 13:24, Bleep1673 said:

I scored 20. Some interesting choices in that list.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 4 weeks later...

John Irving - The Hotel New Hampshire. I'd seen the film years before I read the book, so I can't help picturing the book's characters as the cast. Happily, it is a good cast and a very decent adaptation.

Ralph Waldo Emerson