Book thread: what are you reading?

9 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Working my way through the Shardlake series... Tudor who dunnits by history PhD and author CJ Sansome.... Good yarns and lots of accurate tudor descriptions/references..... Shardlake being disabled makes it an interesting take and each case has plenty of twists

Shardlake's excellent. Really enjoyable details and, as you say, the mysteries themselves are interesting.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Nostromo...but keep getting interrupted by Moby Dick on Radio 4 Extra.

Tell John Bonham to shut up, then. :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I read Nostromo ages ago, and don't remember much, other than it was really well-written. If you like Joseph Conrad's books, then Under Western Eyes is one I'd recommend (assuming you haven't read it already).

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Christ, I read that wrong, I missed out the word dick when I read it and thought you meant they were playing the electro musician Moby's music. I was thinking Radio 4 had changed a lot since I last listened. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, JohnM said:

Oddly enough, I found a copy of that on the bookcase earlier in the week, didn't remember ever having read it, so moved it to the pile of books waiting to be read. 

Death in the East by Amir Mukherjee. A rather bland and generic title but a good book. This is the fourth in a series set in British ruled India just after the first world war. Previously the series has mainly been set in Calcutta, but this volume alternates between Assam and flashbacks to the opium addicted protagonist Captain Sam Wyndham's first experience of policing some years before the war in London's east end. The main murder doesn't take place until well into the book, but is an interesting version of a locked room mystery. There is a definite deepening of the main characters and themes in the book and an interesting juxtaposition of the colonialists' attitudes and the treatment of Jewish immigrants in the East End. Highly recommended.

• Like 1

Just started one of George Carlin's books, Brain Droppings. Too early to say if it's going to hold my attention.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 13/09/2020 at 08:25, The Future is League said:

Just finished reading The Whistler by John Grisham. 

Just another great book by him in my opinion

"The Testament" by Grisham is probably my all time favourite read.

Starts off with something completely unexpected and continues as a gripping story right until the end.

• Like 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

22 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

"The Testament" by Grisham is probably my all time favourite read.

Starts off with something completely unexpected and continues as a gripping story right until the end.

A good mate of mine has just finished reading the The Guardians by him and recommends it so just a matter of time before i get around to reading that.

Iv'e always been a keen reader when Iv'e had time, but due to lock downs and all that goes with it I'm reading more then ever.

I would say my favourite modern authors are John, David Baldacci and Jame Patterson. From the past it has to be George Orwell. Such a handle on reality.

The Subtle Art of not Giving a F*ck is actually my 12 year olds book, her Mother confiscated it, and asked me to go through the entire book and redact all the swear words, been doing that for two weeks, and not half way through. Might buy a Rupert Bear Annual for Christmas.

Just read "The unwrapping of Theodora Quirke", a fantasy Christmas novel set in Liverpool. It really is an utterly brilliant book. I only spotted it as Johnny Vegas was plugging it on Twitter. A highly entertaining and moving tale.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/55630729-the-unwrapping-of-theodora-quirke?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=8wchaXoaP6&rank=1

I also recently devoured yet another cricket book called "Not out first ball", the story of a nomadic and very mediocre team from the Home Counties. It's in the same vein as "Fatty Batter" and "Rain Men" but somehow not quite as enjoyable - still a good read though.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18998348-not-out-first-ball?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=U7oR3shrOB&rank=1

17 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

I also recently devoured yet another cricket book called "Not out first ball", the story of a nomadic and very mediocre team from the Home Counties. It's in the same vein as "Fatty Batter" and "Rain Men" but somehow not quite as enjoyable - still a good read though.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18998348-not-out-first-ball?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=U7oR3shrOB&rank=1

Read that and enjoyed it, but not (as you say) quite up to the other books. Have you read Penguins stopped Play by Harry Thompson? Another good one in the same vein, about the Captain Scott XI.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Read that and enjoyed it, but not (as you say) quite up to the other books. Have you read Penguins stopped Play by Harry Thompson? Another good one in the same vein, about the Captain Scott XI.

Yes, I have thanks. Forgot about that one!

Have you read "Fibber in the Heat" by Miles Jupp? That's a cracking read.

Edited by Leeds Wire
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

Yes, I have thanks. Forgot about that one!

Have you read "Fibber in the Heat" by Miles Jupp? That's a cracking read.

Love the Miles Jupp book, especially when he's nervously rubbing shoulders with playing and broadcasting legends, all the time worrying that they half-recognise him from Balamory. :kolobok_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 03/12/2020 at 14:19, Bleep1673 said:

The Subtle Art of not Giving a F*ck is actually my 12 year olds book, her Mother confiscated it, and asked me to go through the entire book and redact all the swear words, been doing that for two weeks, and not half way through. Might buy a Rupert Bear Annual for Christmas.

I am also trying to read Extinct Countries, which is hilarious. It charts the unsuccessful attempts of various business men to set up their own country, mostly on behalf of GB, and crashing & burning, some stupid Victorians, with too much money, or homosexual libido have tried it, and tried to declare themselves KING of >>>>>>>

35 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I am also trying to read Extinct Countries, which is hilarious. It charts the unsuccessful attempts of various business men to set up their own country, mostly on behalf of GB, and crashing & burning, some stupid Victorians, with too much money, or homosexual libido have tried it, and tried to declare themselves KING of >>>>>>>

What's the author's name?

Ralph Waldo Emerson