Book thread: what are you reading?

Just started 'All these Moments: Stories of Heroes, Villains, Replicants and Blade Runners' by Rutger Hauer and Patrick Quinlan. So far, so very readable.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just finished reading The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.  It is one of the most moving books I have ever read and I would really recommend it - for adults and children.

I read 107 books in 2020, clocking in at a total of 33,068 pages. Here are my top 10 for the year: In The Realm of Hungry Ghosts by Gabor Maté – Re-read of a favourite from last year. Discussion

Burmese Days is probably my favourite. Really highlights the absurdity of colonialism from someone who witnessed it. 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Ooh sounds like something I'd be interested in! 

I recently re-watched Blind Fury and wondered if Rutger had ever released an autobiography. Turns out he did, and it starts with him getting a job with Christopher Nolan, before flashing back to the beginning, when he was in a penniless touring theatre company, playing the likes of village halls.

He gets spotted by a guy who makes TV programmes about regional arts, and the next thing he knows, he is introduced to a bloke who'd directed some training videos for the Dutch army. A somewhat deranged young man called Paul Verhoeven.

Like I said, I'm only a chapter and a bit into it, but this is extremely promising.

• Thanks 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Mortal events and shady conclusions  by many led me to this

image.png.ccb4265f86d2978ea4e43d578aa8af47.png

A homage to

Edited by Oxford

"They are what we thought they were." Danny Green

Posted (edited)
On 12/04/2021 at 23:18, Futtocks said:

Just started 'All these Moments: Stories of Heroes, Villains, Replicants and Blade Runners' by Rutger Hauer and Patrick Quinlan. So far, so very readable.

Just finished it. The co-author credit suggests that Quinlan may have tidied up the flow of things, but the voice of the book has Hauer's personality and his insights into the various roles he played.

He obviously liked to have input into his movies, so suggested script and scene changes a lot, which may have played better with some directors than others. He also seemed to have a bigger picture, making time to explore and enjoy wherever he found himself making movies. It didn't hurt that he'd converted a huge truck into a mobile, marble-floored home-from-home, including space for a garage containing an off-road bike and a car, so he could feel at home anywhere he could drive in Europe. Elsewhere, he seems to have a recurring talent for flooding hotel rooms.

The main body of the autobiography is followed by a short chapter on what he thinks about the craft of acting, then some diary excerpts, which are less polished and more colloquial. Then a chapter on his AIDS charity.

It occasionally feels a little over-polished and partial, but is still a damn good read.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

image.png.6e8b3602ea427eb712ba1383fcd4d734.png

Amazing and fascinating look at American society and by reflection and conncetion to our own.

"They are what we thought they were." Danny Green

Arthur C.Clarke - The Lost Worlds of 2001. This is a collection of Clarke's writings about the novel and the film, which developed concurrently.

There are also diary entries, many memories of working and just chatting with with Stanley Kubrick, alternate stories for almost every part of the final plot, and 'The Sentinel', a short story that was the germ of the idea. A really good read.

Next up is Civilizations by Laurent Binet, an alternative history that imagines what would have happened if the Incas, under the leadership of Atahualpa, invaded Europe instead of the other way round. It has been pretty well reviewed. Here's the blurb: 

c.1000AD: Erik the Red's daughter heads south from Greenland
1492: Columbus does not discover America
1531: the Incas invade Europe

Freydis is the leader of a band of Viking warriors who get as far as Panama. Nobody knows what became of them...
Five hundred years later, Christopher Columbus is sailing for the Americas, dreaming of gold and conquest. Even when captured by Incas, his faith in his superiority and his mission is unshaken.

Thirty years after that, Atahualpa, the last Inca emperor, arrives in Europe. What does he find? The Spanish Inquisition, the Reformation, capitalism, the miracle of the printing press, endless warmongering between the ruling monarchies, and constant threat from the Turks.

But most of all, downtrodden populations ready for revolution. Fortunately, he has a recent guidebook to acquiring power - Machiavelli's The Prince. It turns out he is very good at it. So, the stage is set for a Europe ruled by Incas and, when the Aztecs arrive on the scene, for a great war that will change history forever.

Bargain Alert! Nigella Lawson's new book Cook, Eat, Repeat is available for £1.99 as a Kindle download from Amazon (UK) until the end of today.

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Bargain Alert! Nigella Lawson's new book Cook, Eat, Repeat is available for £1.99 as a Kindle download from Amazon (UK) until the end of today.

Is there a lot of pictures of her leaning over the counter or licking wooden spoons and her fingers or close ups of her chest? 

On 12/04/2021 at 23:18, Futtocks said:

My father gave me "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", to read when I was about 11/12 & it blew my mind, long before Blade Runner.

• Like 1

Where were you last Thursday?

On 26/04/2021 at 18:49, Futtocks said:

Civilizations by Laurent Binet

That was a very interesting and readable book.

Now on to The Last Interview, a compilation of interview transcriptions with Anthony Bourdain.

16 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

An amazing book. Philip K. Dick is undoubtedly my favourite author. My favourite of his is probably 'A Scanner Darkly'. 

I really enjoyed By A Scanner Darkly, my favourite author though was Sir Terry Pratchett, I have read most of his published stuff, although I can't get into The Long World stuff, I started with Good Omens, and wanted to know more, and became an addict. Nation is very thoughtful. My favourite book in his Discworld series is Guards! Guards! After that, Night watch, then the Tiffany Aching series, or even the Moist trilogy. 

Non-STP people will wonder WTF I am talking about, But DILLIGAF?

Where were you last Thursday?

Not reading, as this is an audiobook, and printed copies go for silly money, but Hawksbee & Jacobs (TalkSport) got someone who sounds a lot like Steve Bruce to read Steve's first crime novel, Striker! Gloriously bad. :kolobok_biggrin:

https://play.acast.com/s/hawksbeeandjacobs/striker-

I recently finished reading Time And Time Again by Ben Elton.

It's a time travel adventure (just my cup of tea, that), a 'what if' you could go back in time and change a particular event, which one would you choose to make the present world a better place?

In this instance, it becomes a mission to prevent the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand to stop the First World War.

There are plenty of twists and turns. I rattled through it quite quickly on a Kindle, it is a very engaging yarn.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John Drake said:

I recently finished reading Time And Time Again by Ben Elton.

It's a time travel adventure (just my cup of tea, that), a 'what if' you could go back in time and change a particular event, which one would you choose to make the present world a better place?

In this instance, it becomes a mission to prevent the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand to stop the First World War.

There are plenty of twists and turns. I rattled through it quite quickly on a Kindle, it is a very engaging yarn.

If the first world war hadn't had happened the Nazis wouldn't have taken power in Germany, and that led to the Second World War and obviously that changed world history for for ever.

Stating the obvious, but the world would be a very different place from what it is today and in my opinion the demographics in this country would be very different as well, and the Soviet Union wouldn't have happened and Rugby League would be the dominant Rugby code in France, but IF is the biggest word in the world.

OK i will get my coat on the way out.

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

If the first world war hadn't had happened the Nazis wouldn't have taken power in Germany, and that led to the Second World War and obviously that changed world history for for ever.

Stating the obvious, but the world would be a very different place from what it is today and in my opinion the demographics in this country would be very different as well, and the Soviet Union wouldn't have happened and Rugby League would be the dominant Rugby code in France, but IF is the biggest word in the world.

OK i will get my coat on the way out.

That's pretty much the gist of the book at the beginning: stop the assassination, prevent the war, assume everything that follows would automatically be better.

Or would it...?

Without wanting to give the plot away, the book presents many interesting and thought provoking ideas on how it might not work out that way.

5 minutes ago, John Drake said:

That's pretty much the gist of the book at the beginning: stop the assassination, prevent the war, assume everything that follows would automatically be better.

Or would it...?

Without wanting to give the plot away, the book presents many interesting and thought provoking ideas on how it might not work out that way.

One possibly dare i say would be, would the British Empire still exist as the 2 world wars drained the UK dry. Interesting. I shall certainly purchase the book at some time in the near future. 

• 1 month later...