Sky Sports - New TV Deal (Merged Threads)

No, it's got nothing to do with the restructuring of the game, here's the evidence...

“Throughout our negotiations it was clear that Sky were genuinely excited by the league structures that we are putting in place from 2015 onwards.

Press releases are not evidence. You tell me seriously Terry, if there had been no rival bidders SKY would have upped the contract?

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, what I said was that it depended entirely on the value of the deal. But carry on.

You'll get something in italics in a moment.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

jeez. That would be a significant result. It's not like him spread positive rumours either!

Exactly.  Knowing him, it's probably £300m.  With a cherry on top.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I remain to be convinced that the move to 3x8 had much to do with this but I think it shows the value of a more competitive upper tier.  The numbers in it have gone down but Sky have committed to show considerably more games from it - they must be envisaging a lot more blockbuster games through the season.

It is excellent that the Championship is included.  It would be ridiculous to have the lower tier on one channel, the upper tier on the other and then some kind of hodge podge come play off time.

If my maths is right then Sky are committing to 20 Championship games per season which is less than Premier currently show (I believe).  I would imagine the majority of those games will be in the play offs.

And if the £200m is right then it looks like a very good deal.

It may be that everything just lined up nicely for us and the RFL have taken advantage of the competition Sky faces to push through these changes and have a stronger hand when negotiating with our major partner.

If this number is true, it does look like a remarkable piece of business (the whole last 6-12 months, irrespective of whether we agree with the actual structure or not)!

If this number is true, it does look like a remarkable piece of business 

Indeed.

It does mean we have Eddie and Stevo until 2021, mind.

Every silver lining has a cloud.

I accept that the Lions viewing figures are large. If the Lions series was this year then again I might think ok. But is 5 years of superleague less worthy than 1 test series 3 years away? Mind you, if they are paying us loads of money then this is a minor complaint!

This TV deal is from 2017-2021. The current deal already covers until the end of 2016

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

So the doom mongers are wrong again;

No one will turn up for the World Cup,it will be a disaster,the marketing is a disaster - wrong.

There won't be a main sponsor for Super League,the RFL are in crisis - wrong.

Sky Sports have no interest in rugby league,I know because someone in the pub told me - wrong.

Now they will be running around for something else.It's not enough,it should have been more,I could have done better,tickets are too expensive,tickets are too cheap,sack someone,anyone,I don't care,I'm just jealous other people do better than me!!

Well done to the RFL.

Well said

@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

Heaven forbid they waste all that money in that way, sorry "in that way"

I don't think there is any need for the language you use, even though I agree that the money shouldn't be split evenly between the 24 teams.

Indeed.

Isn't Stevo meant to be retiring at the end of this year (or is it next)?

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Please stick to discussing the new TV deal here, please.

Don't turn it into another pro/anti new league restructure thread. We've got one of those here.

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php/topic/241853-the-never-ending-league-restructure-debate-many-merged-threads/

I don't think there is any need for the language you use, even though I agree that the money shouldn't be split evenly between the 24 teams.

Of course, Bradford will be volunteering to forego their traditional half, and then we will spend the rest of the contract complaining about it...! :tongue:

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Press releases are not evidence. You tell me seriously Terry, if there had been no rival bidders SKY would have upped the contract?

You've conveniently left the bit from Sky Sports Managing Director, Barney Francis out Parky. What does he say about the new structure? Why have they now taken back the Championship when they didn't want it under licensing? Clutching at straws I think Parky.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House

Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.picturehouseweddingfilms.co.uk/

I think it's about time you accepted that money is always wasted on vacuous things like sport when there's more noble causes. It's a pointless argument.

It is pointless if the agenda is keeping northern RL alive.

If the money allows Toulouse's entry, London's resurrection and expansion etc you may not be pleased?

So you have read the press release then?

“Throughout our negotiations it was clear that Sky were genuinely excited by the league structures that we are putting in place from 2015 onwards".

Wood is always going to say this, and it's said in the face of a one vote victory in which half the Superleague chairmen were not genuinely excited, as aren't many coaches and fans.

If were going to debate RL based on press releases equally based on agendas like Wood saving his skin, then we are into fantasy RL.

Oh hang on we already are half the time.

Now back to the real world. You tell me that without the interest from other broadcasters SKY would have made the increase solely on the re-structure.

Go on Ponte put your serious unbiased hat on. You have done it before!

Boohoo Parky

I know you dislike good news and get some kind of kick out of the sport being in the mire.

Perhaps the new structure also floated BT's boat, bet that never crossed your mind.

Here in the real world, things are looking very positive.

Indeed.

I think they anger me less than most, I would love to see Sky use Dave Woods for some coverage though and try and mix it up a touch.

As much as I liked Premier, they are quite small time and as fans I think we were pretty forgiving of them because of the passion they appear to show for the game.

Things like HD, 3D, SKy Sports News coverage, ads across the Sky platform etc are big advantages to being with Sky Sports.

You've conveniently left the bit from Sky Sports Managing Director, Barney Francis out Parky. What does he say about the new structure? Why have they now taken back the Championship when they didn't want it under licensing? Clutching at straws I think Parky.

Think as you wish Terry old pal, think "Featherstone Rovers"

It is pointless if the agenda is keeping northern RL alive.

If the money allows Toulouse's entry, London's resurrection and expansion etc you may not be pleased?

I do hope if this money is correct, that the leaders of the game and clubs have some vision and make some serious investment in expansion.

Archived