Sky Sports - New TV Deal (Merged Threads)

As much as I liked Premier, they are quite small time and as fans I think we were pretty forgiving of them because of the passion they appear to show for the game.

Things like HD, 3D, SKy Sports News coverage, ads across the Sky platform etc are big advantages to being with Sky Sports.

Absolutely true.  Being on Sky has enormous advantages that hopefully won't diminish even if BT continues to grow.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone seen details re online rights?

There's an internet?

It's not detailed in anything I've seen.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I do hope if this money is correct, that the leaders of the game and clubs have some vision and make some serious investment in expansion.

As it stands Dave it looks like a straight share out but we will see.

They say money floats to the top. Split it 24 ways and the gap between top and bottom could go even wider.

I'd like it to make more clubs bigger, put more paying fans in grounds and develop more professional players within a geographic expansion rather than prop up failing clubs.

Perhaps it did, I can see the SKY Sports board settling down in their leather armchairs to Swinton .v. Whitehaven!!.............

What's wrong with watching Swinton v Whitehaven? Probably be a great game, with fantastic entertainment. Don't be so snooty.

IIRC Championship Rugby was SS4's best viewed programme by some distance, I'm sure the execs will be more than happy if this continues to be the case

online broadcasting to phones and tablets is surely worth a pretty penny.

I'm not sure whether it is in the UK, although I could be wrong.

There is Sky Go which allows you to watch Sky live online, with some On Demand stuff, but a back catalogue of online RL games has never been something that has been available.

online broadcasting to phones and tablets is surely worth a pretty penny.

Sky's coverage in the UK includes Sky Go/Sky Extra which is online streaming for tablets and phones and all its Sky Sports channels are on there.

For worldwide it would be a separate deal but it's not going to be covered here.

Isn't Stevo meant to be retiring at the end of this year (or is it next)?

He's been talking about retirement for at least 10 years now.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

They say money floats to the top. Split it 24 ways and the gap between top and bottom could go even wider.

I'd like it to make more clubs bigger, put more paying fans in grounds and develop more professional players within a geographic expansion rather than prop up failing clubs.

Why does it?

I haven't seen any details of funding based on the new deal, although IL and a few others wanted a larger share of money, so unlikely that more would be directed towards new projects.

It won't be split equally, that would be ridiculous.

All clubs should see a significant uplift in funding, which is fantastic.

What's wrong with watching Swinton v Whitehaven? Probably be a great game, with fantastic entertainment. Don't be so snooty.

IIRC Championship Rugby was SS4's best viewed programme by some distance, I'm sure the execs will be more than happy if this continues to be the case

It would be helpful to know how things have been going on Premier.

From memory, second tier rugby used to pull in around 30,000 - 60,000 viewers?  If that were repeated it would make it the highest non-soccer on SS4.

He's been talking about retirement for at least 10 years now.

Ha - there is that too. It came up in League Express not so long back though (I think Forty/20 also mentioned it).

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

I posted this. On the Cross Code forum a few weeks ago in the "most important deal for club rugby" (snigger) thread.

"I actually this deal could favour RL in so far as the NRL deal is approximately double. You may lose one or two top end players as will always be the case but NRL is going to be recruiting not losing talent.

Franchise however will be draining the top union nations dry who won't be able to compete . Remember the new BT deal of about £35 million a year includes money to be distributed for their cross border comp. I suspect that element will need to be renegotiated when the goods delivered arn't as promised.

The French Top 14 will become the northern hemisphere equivalent of the NRL and the union talent will drift towards it.

I think it may well speed up a 24 team British League for union with 10 Celtic countries coming together with 14 English for 2 divisions.

This deals frees up Bien Sports to obtain a French Superleague contract. Wouldn't it be great if together with Catalan and Toulouse plans could be put in place to add 2 French clubs more over the next 3-5 years so NH RL could have a similar 24 club top tier!"

Could we really see the start of the blocks going in for such an arrangement. Imagine 2-4 French clubs in 5-10 years adding a proportionate share.

Exciting times. I've just put the £200 million figure to a friend very closely involved and he didn't deny it.

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

Can things get any better for rugby league at the moment

There are many ways in which it could (see the many failures of the 'whole game solution' - even leaving aside the 3x8 debate) but this, if those figures are correct, is very good news and should be celebrated as such.

It is pointless if the agenda is keeping northern RL alive.

If the money allows Toulouse's entry, London's resurrection and expansion etc you may not be pleased?

The game has opportunities people like myself can see but you can't because you can't break from the divide and conquer mentality.The agenda's are in your head. 

Th RFL have proven positive for the game precisely because the whole sport is on their agenda. Even the facts can't make you stop.

I noticed in the policy doc it mentioned that the new structure would need a marketing budget to support it. We have seen that when things are done well we can get real successes - the RLWC a very good example. I'd love the clubs and RFL to work together and seriously promote some big events, particularly around playoffs and Magic.

There has been zero growth with Magic Weekend (I would describe it as going backwards) and the playoffs have challenges, as does the Cup.

Double Header Cup semis, bigger and better Magic, dedicated rounds etc can help build on the feel-good factor created around the World Cup particularly around things like the Big Hit and the WC Final.

Let's hope some of this money goes into that.

Now the next question. 

Do we split the money equally and aim for 24 evenly funded teams?

Or give the top 12 significantly more and raise the salary cap allowing for some bigger names from NRL or even RU?

For me, the second option. Keep the salary cap the same and allow 2 'star' players to be added not under the cap.

That way, all clubs should break even with the new money at the cap, and those who have a rich backer can attract 1 or 2 star names.

Now the next question. 

Do we split the money equally and aim for 24 evenly funded teams?

Or give the top 12 significantly more and raise the salary cap allowing for some bigger names from NRL or even RU?

For me, the second option. Keep the salary cap the same and allow 2 'star' players to be added not under the cap.

That way, all clubs should break even with the new money at the cap, and those who have a rich backer can attract 1 or 2 star names.

Something like:

SL 12 x  £1,900,000

Champ 12 x £950,000

Champ 1 13 x £100,000

RFL 1 x 4,500,000 

Not sure if this is the annual value but this splits £40m per year. Would prevent any sliding scale at Champ level which doesn't seem great.

Gives a substantial increase for all clubs and the RFL to my knowledge.

So you have read the press release then?

“Throughout our negotiations it was clear that Sky were genuinely excited by the league structures that we are putting in place from 2015 onwards".

Wood is always going to say this, and it's said in the face of a one vote victory in which half the Superleague chairmen were not genuinely excited, as aren't many coaches and fans.

Sounds just like when SL started.

Something like:

SL 12 x  £1,900,000

Champ 12 x £950,000

Champ 1 13 x £100,000

RFL 1 x 4,500,000 

Not sure if this is the annual value but this splits £40m per year. Would prevent any sliding scale at Champ level which doesn't seem great.

Gives a substantial increase for all clubs and the RFL to my knowledge.

Do you think almost £1m gap between SL1 and SL2 would be conducive to the middle 8 play offs working as anticipated Dave? I'd like to see the figures a little closer than that and more for the lower tier too.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House

Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.picturehouseweddingfilms.co.uk/

Archived