10960418_509496039190968_450085986520857

We Need You! - HKRL Schools Competition and Clinics 

School Forum - 6:30pm 10 March 2015 - Australian International School

Having a vibrant schools competition in Hong Kong is incredibly important to us. It will be an essential part of Hong Kong Rugby League.

Fortunately we have had many expressions of interest from schools from around Hong Kong and we are keen to build this into a well supported schools program.

Drawing off the experience of Secretary Ray Meli who has a background in children's football development in the Hong Kong school system as well as other members of HKRL who are experienced teachers and coaches we hope to deliver a successful program. Our team also has qualifications in education and sport development.

Initially with the help of some very experienced coaches we plan to introduce children to two different forms of a non contact variety of league known as Touch Rugby and then move on to OzTag. These forms of the game help develop confidence and the basic skills required to play 9 and 13 a side Rugby League.

We invite interested parties to attend a special forum we are holding about Rugby League in Schools.

This will take place at the Australian International School on the 10th of March 2015 from 6:30pm.

We would like Principals, Heads of Sport, PE Teachers, school coaches, teachers, teaching assistants and parents to join us.

We also would love to see people who want to help us conduct the competition, so if you want to help out as a coach, referee or 1st aid officer you are most welcome.

HKRL understands that different schools will have different levels of experience and resources, to this end we want to offer as much assistance and support as we can to these schools.

If you would like to attend please ring Jason Fairleigh on 69091168 or Ray Meli onray@hongkongrugbyleague.com and 64449421.

If you are unable to attend, but would still like to be involved in this exciting project please do not hesitate to contact us.

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow thanks for sharing. I put it on the HKRL facebook page.

Thanks for the hospitality and support! We really want to have a reputation of getting around internationally, meeting people and organising. And of course playing.

It was good to meet him and a pleasure to host.

I was wearing my HK Thunder shirt around the office on Friday

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

nice ''school's'  logo....jersey needs a red V on it though

One of the most amusing things about starting a new Rugby League is navigating everyone's club, state and national bias!

And we have people from Australia, New Zealand, England and France involved so far.

It was good to meet him and a pleasure to host.

I was wearing my HK Thunder shirt around the office on Friday

Thanks for representing! I enjoy wearing my gear while teaching.

We have some fantastic jerseys planned for Side of Origin and the Thunder. 

HKRL WELCOMES JASON FAIRLEIGH WITH NEW COACHING APPOINTMENT

coachthunder-01-1024x446.png

Hong Kong Rugby League is pleased to announce our representative coach who will take charge of the Hong Kong Thunder in 2015. Jason Fairleigh has a wealth of playing and coaching experience mixed with a sincere love for the game. Jason comes from the Central Coast of NSW in Australia and from a Rugby League family with three older brothers who also played the game.

Jason has been in Hong Kong for over a decade and in the absence of Rugby League has been playing Rugby Union with the Typhoons club. Jason is excited to be taking a leading role in the future development of Rugby League in Hong Kong. He will also be supporting the HKRL Schools program drawing on his coaching and teaching experience.
HKRL Chairman James Hall is enthusiastic about the appointment.

“We are delighted to have Jason on board as the Head Coach of HKRL. He comes from a strong Rugby League background and has a wealth of experience to bring. As well as getting the Thunder team in shape for their Inaugural fixture later this year Jason will help prepare the teams who are entering this year’s HKRL 9s competition on 25 April.”

The HKRL will be hosting a special Open Day on the 25th of April which will showcase many forms of the game such as touch, tag and 9s. More details of this launch event will soon be announced.

If you would like to get involved in HKRL please email us on getinvolved@hongkongrugbyleague.com

GET TO KNOW OUR THUNDER COACH: JASON TREVOR FAIRLEIGH

“Born on the Central Coast in New South Wales, Australia, I began playing mini rugby league at the age of 5 for Ourimbah Wyoming Magpies. With 3 older brothers who also played, it was no surprise to my parents that I would!

I continued to play through primary and high school and on weekends, representing the Central Coast in rep games throughout my teens.

At the age of 17, I began to play First Grade Rugby League for Ourimbah Wyoming Magpies as 5/8 in which I played over 8 years of first grade. The opportunity to trial for a few Sydney based teams was lost due to 2 significant knee injuries, both requiring surgery and forced early retirement.

This opened the door into coaching junior teams at my local club and progressed onto coaching U17’s and U18’s levels with my greatest achievements including winning Premiership titles.

In 2005, I moved to Hong Kong, which I began playing for The Typhoons, after realising rugby league was not available.
Now that rugby league is here in Hong Kong I can see huge potential for our sport.”

http://www.hongkongrugbyleague.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Dear HK Rugby League Fan,

It has been an amazingly fast ride since we held our first board meeting and formed in December last year. We have seen an amazing response not just from those in Hong Kong but from the Rugby League community at large. My fellow board members and I have been working extremely hard behind the scenes to get RL off the ground here in HK.

The response has been phenomenal so much so that we very quickly recruited 6 squads to enter our nines competition along with 6 sides who wish to play Tag in the sister competition on what will be a momentous HKRL Exhibition day. Even more exciting is the interest we are seeing from schools and I know that several schools already have kids chomping at the bit to play Rugby League.

As many of you are aware we have been getting everything lined up to hold this exhibition day on 25 April 2015 (Anzac Day). However, through various different avenues we have struggled to get a pitch booking confirmed so we will have to postpone at this stage.

We hope this delay will be short lived as we know how keen so many of you are to see this succeed, and succeed it will! Please bear with us whilst we get used to the bureaucracy that prevails when trying to book sporting facilities in Hong Kong.  This is merely a small hiccup due to the speed with which we are trying to develop; there was a delay in the processing of our incorporation which once processed will allow us to book pitches. We hope you can appreciate this small delay is out of our hands at this stage and you will still be prepared to take part in the Exhibition day once we have a confirmed venue and date, hopefully only a few weeks later than planned.  Everything is in place and ready to go once we find a venue; its sure to be a cracking day!

For those I have not yet spoken to in person; beyond this Exhibition day there will be;  Junior RL, a regular Tag competition,  Friday Night 9s through the summer, Side of Origin, HK Thunder first international. So lots to come and look forward to. Anyone who wishes to help build on the work we have done to date please get in touch, volunteers, players, referees, administrators fans are all welcome.

Keep your eye out for a confirmed date for the Exhibition day and for details of the many other plans as well as our launch party night coming soon. In the mean time get yourself down to Pulse in Wan Chai to watch the NRL. There’s usually a couple of us there watching.

James Hall

Chairman

I can imagine that sports pitches are at a premium in HK, so maybe no surprise there. But... and they do have significant previous for this kind thing... is there any suspicion of an invisible hand at play, if you get my drift.

We are hoping for the best. But if anything like that happens, you'll be first to know.

We expect things to be civilised in Hong Kong, there are thousands of Rugby League fans here, many involved in the 15 man game.

We have the support of schools who have pitches and there are many government pitches.

We are so keen to get playing.

Great work Diehard, having been to Hong Kong, i know how popular rugby union is, particularly with the Hong Kong Sevens. It's a key outpost for Rugby League though, as it's a major financial centre and equidistant to both UK and OZ/NZ. I hope the World Club Challenge will take itself to Hong Kong sometime in the future, tapping into all the financial/corporate sectors there which could generate significant revenues for this type of competition, which you could then feed off the back of for your local competition

• 3 weeks later...
HKRL Chair James Hall with cartons of Redstripe beer in Taste supermarkets in HK carrying the HKRL emblem.

redstripe1_zpsk8datc0z.jpg

redstripe2_zpsi9apiuix.jpg

Support Rugby League by drinking beer? I've heard worse ideas... like all of them. :P 

Well done with the sponsorship.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'll be watching this with about 60+ mad Rugby League fans in Hong Kong. HKRL are holding an event, open bar and pizza.

It's like a UN of Rugby League lovers over here.

Up the Roos!

ANZACTEST2-01_zpsofbiy8d0.jpg

I'll be watching this with about 60+ mad Rugby League fans in Hong Kong. HKRL are holding an event, open bar and pizza.

It's like a UN of Rugby League lovers over here.

Up the Roos!

ANZACTEST2-01_zpsofbiy8d0.jpg

Agh, bloody weather! Hope someone has a tape of last year's game. Or actually, I hope someone has an internet with them so they can watch any game at all!

Both tests will be played on Sunday, according to the BBC. Glad the women's test wasn't completely cancelled, as was suggested by some reports.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

We still had a great night with about 25 people showing up. It was a great success. Origin is going to be huge over here.

We also got to try on some of the jerseys from X BLADES that we will use for the Nines.

Yes, we watched many classic games. I also watched Titans vs Warriors on the big screen on Setanta.

Considering I made a double post and dont know how to delete it.

Ill tell you about some other news.

HKRL has entered a touch footy team in the HK TOUCH ASSOCIATION (An independent sport here) summer league. The team is called the 13s. It should be fun and be a good tool for outreach and recruitment.

Just some of the lovable HKRL crew. The postponement cut our number in half but we still rate the night as a huge success. Especially because the success of fledgling leagues like ours are also a big social exercise.

11187433_533835773423661_227424319432379

• 1 month later...

http://www.hongkongrugbyleague.com

schoolharrow_kgv.jpg

Harrow International School’s Rugby League traineeship took a significant step forward on Tuesday, June 15 when the school hosted King George V in the first Rugby League clash played in Hong Kong in 2015.

The match, which was the first inter-school Rugby League clash between the two institutions, saw a mix of kids from grades 8 – 10 and a range of different cultural backgrounds go head to head.

Harrow, who have been training with Hong Kong Thunder coach, Jason Fairleigh, were confident of putting up a competitive performance against a King George V School who had already played a number of Rugby League clashes, both internally and against the Australian International School back in 2014.

Played in 15 minute halves due to the high temperatures (33C and 80% humidity) and traffic delays, both schools hit it out in a tight encounter before King George V’s experience helped them secure the 20 – 4 win.

The match will mark the first of a number of inter-school games planned by the Hong Kong Rugby League for the remainder of 2015.

Current the Hong Kong Rugby League Schools program sees Rugby League training offered at four institutions including the Australian International School and Sha Tin College.

It is a good start to have the social Facebook group.  More people will be joining now globally, to increase the numbers, which will increase visibility in Hong Kong.

To give you a time line, In 2007 I bumped into another rugby league fan and former player.  A year later, we started to organise in ernest.  We had a nine-a-side team by 2009, that played a visiting from Norway.  We played in a kit that had just been worn by a rugby union team.

I then left the country and things cooled down, bit were revived by 2011 when we had a full 13-a-side team.  The first clubs were formed in 2013.

My point is, it takes time.  When you hear about huge fast growth, it tends to be in less economically developed countries with lots of free land,  Hong Kong falls into that bracket even less than Denmark.  If this year, you can match what we achieved in 2007, you are doing great.

Well, this post was not needed.

Congratulations!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived