• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My gf is from Shenzhen so I travel there a few times a year. If I can work the dates right, I'd love to make the trip into Hong Kong and attend one of your events sometime.

Wonderful mate. We always have something on and even if a RL supporter visits town we are willing to organise a get together to watch a game.

Right now we are doing regular Friday night training for 13s. Trying to build numbers, introduce people to the game. And touch football in the HK summer league. We also run a touch football evening on Mondays. We want to build to a Nines comp and then a more serious game in October which we will talk about soon.

Please keep in touch. We are also looking towards nurturing Rugby League in mainland China. 

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

Numbers at weekly training are growing and growing, we had over 20 on Friday evening.

HKRL got their first piece of silverware on the weekend, with our touch footy team taking out the Bowl Champion Trophy on Saturday.

We are looking for more players, so if you are keen please email us on getinvolved@hongkongrugbyleague.com

11742796_563045930502645_808203260645963

10903970_563860727087832_838060296257879

Teams are invited to register their interest in taking part the inaugural Hong Kong Rugby League Nines tournament.

Taking part on Wednesday (Public Holiday), October 21 at Kings Park, Kowloon, the Nines tournament will feature six teams from around the region.

Each team that enters will be provided 12 jerseys to keep, provided by Hong Kong Rugby League apparel partner, XBlades.

The winning team will receive the inaugural HKRL Nines trophy, a bar tab at the Pulse Bar (Wanchai), whilst there will also be prizes for the Most Valuable Player of the Tournament.

Details for the event are below:

Entry Fee: HKD $1,200 per squad

Squad Size: 12

Minimum of 5 games per squad

Date: 21st October 2015

Venue: Kings Park, Kowloon

Times: 9am – 3pm

Teams interested in taking part in the Hong Kong Nines are invited to register their interest by contacting getinvolved@hongkongrugbyleague.com

You Hong Kong lads seem to be doing a fantastic job!

Really starting to gain real momentum. Once the heat of the summer fades, we can really get into it.

I'm headed back to Australia next week and will return with a lot of Steedens. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful mate. We always have something on and even if a RL supporter visits town we are willing to organise a get together to watch a game.

Right now we are doing regular Friday night training for 13s. Trying to build numbers, introduce people to the game. And touch football in the HK summer league. We also run a touch football evening on Mondays. We want to build to a Nines comp and then a more serious game in October which we will talk about soon.

Please keep in touch. We are also looking towards nurturing Rugby League in mainland China.

I will do mate, sounds like you are doing some great stuff and I'd like to get involved where possible.

• 4 weeks later...

The inaugural Hong Kong Rugby League Nines is set to take place at Kings Park in Kowloon on Wednesday, October 21

11850508_569877983152773_325151446561147

• 2 weeks later...

Festival of Rugby League Hong Kong's Largest Single Rugby League Event

Wednesday, October 21 will see the Hong Kong Rugby League host its largest ever event.  Held at King's Park in Kowloon, the HKRL will run the inaugural HKRL Nines & HKRL Mixed Tag Challenge Event.

Get involved with what will be the largest festival of Rugby League in this part of Asia! 

Whether it's as a player, coach, referee, manager or fan, we would love to have you involved!

http://www.hongkongrugbyleague.com

HKRLTag.jpg

Hong Kong’s inaugural Mixed Tag Rugby League Challenge is set to take place at King’s Park, Kowloon as part of the Festival of Rugby League that will take place on Wednesday, October 21.

Running in parallel to the Hong Kong Rugby League Nines, the Mixed Tag Rugby League Challenge will feature up to six teams from around the Hong Kong region, battling it out to declare the inaugural Tag Rugby League champions.

Tag Rugby League is a low-contact version of Rugby League, which features six players on the field at any one time. Players wear Velcro tags around their waist upon which at least one needs to be removed to constitute a ‘tackle’.

Just like Tackle Rugby League, players are allowed six plays to try and score or attempt to move the ball as far down the field as possible. Players are also allowed to kick, making Tag Rugby League very similar in style to the Tackle version of the code.

For the HKRL Mixed Tag Rugby League Challenge all competing teams must have a minimum of two girls on the field at any one time.

The HKRL is currently taking submissions for players or teams wishing to take part in the inaugural Mixed Tag Rugby League Challenge.

Entry fee for any team looking to enter the tournament is HKD $350.00.

Kick off for the tournament is from 9:00am.

If you are interested in entering a team, nominating yourself to play or want to find out more, please email getinvolved@hongkongrugbyleague.com

Great progress so far. I know a couple of schools have started playing rugby league, but beyond that, have you had much interest from natives? Or is it all ex-pats for now? Keep up the good work! 

We've been delighted with the level of local interest so far, especially from touch players. We hope to bring them in and we all place great important on it. Let's see how things pan out. But we are confident. We have had several locals down at our training sessions.

• 2 weeks later...

HKRL Residents XIII to tour the Philippines
http://hongkongrugbyleague.com

ResidentsXIII.jpg

There will be more on the line than just silverware on offer at this year’s Hong Kong Nines tournament, with the event to give players the opportunity to showcase their talent and potential secure a spot on the HKRL Residents XIII tour of the Philippines.

The tour, which will take place in November, will see the HKRL Residents XIII visit Manilla in the Philippines to play against the Manilla Storm.

The Manilla Storm are one of the domestic Rugby League teams in the Philippines and have been selected by the PNRL to be the Resident XIII’s opponents.

The tour match will take place on Southern Plains Field in Alabang on November 7.

The HKRL will announce further details around the tour, including how interested players can join the tour at a later date

The HKRL Residents XIII is a representative team made up of open-age players who are current residents of Hong Kong and playing Rugby League. The team is not the international representative team of Hong Kong (Hong Kong Thunder) and is designed to allow a wider mix of players to have the opportunity to not only represent their region, but also help spread the Rugby League message throughout Asia.

Looks like swift progress. Great work guys!

Thanks! We appreciate the encouragement.

We really do have an impressive committee of dedicated Rugby League lovers from many countries.

The next couple of months will be big for us.

I still need to decide if I am going to play 9s, tag or event manage. We can't have everyone playing! Haha

• 1 month later...

What's lined up over the winter? I'd be keen to get involved one way or another.

Mate we would love you to join us. We have a really great crew and there are plenty of jobs and chances to help.

We are off to the Philippines this weekend to play the Manila Storm.

But after that our next event is likely to be a dedicated Tag event, because our last one was so popular, we had to turn teams away. Although it was split between Nines and Tag, so this time we want to focus our efforts.

If you get involved I think you will have a great time, meet Rugby League lovers from around the world. You'll get to experience HKRL but also get involved with the sport in Japan, the Philippines, Thailand and many other countries.

Send me an email at diehardtitan@gmail.com

The tour of the Philippines couldnt have gone better. It was fantastic. Manila Storm were fantastic hosts and the facilities were impressive. Our team of rag tag leaguies, union converts, newbies and people who hadn't played in over a decade really enjoyed themselves. The game was tough, Manila were strengthened by 6-7 PNG players who study there and started the club and play RL back home. Hong Kong won 40-34 but it was a real tough and entertaining games with not much drop ball at all.

It was fantastic to hear how everyone enjoyed playing, especially the union guys.

We are looking forward to getting them over to Hong Kong and hosting them soon.

It was a great launch platform for HKRL, everyone is buzzing and word will get around about how fun Rugby League is.

I bought three Manila Storm polos, a Tamaraws kit to go with my HKRL Residents jersey and singlet.

I never thought I'd be a Rugby League pioneer! I recommend to anyone to get involved in international development, even if it is just being supportive and buying some gear.

• 5 months later...

Wild Boars and All Stars join HKRL Nines

WildBoars_AllStars.jpg

A record number of teams are set to take place at the 2016 Hong Kong Rugby League Nines following the formation of the Wild Boars and South Pacific All Stars teams.

The Wild Boars represent Sheung Wan in the North-West of Hong Kong Island, and join the likes of the Hong Kong Hunters, Wan Chai Warriors and Causeway Bay Victorious Secrets in representing the 1.2 million people based on the Island.

The other entrant, the South Pacific All Stars will represent Lantau Island, at the event. Lantau Island is Hong Kong’s largest island and is located at the mouth of the Pearl River.

The formation and entry of both teams brings the total number of sides committed to the 2016 tournament to seven, up from four in 2015.

The 2016 Hong Kong Rugby League Nines will take place on Monday, May 2nd (Labour Day) at Kings Park in Kowloon.

Teams and players interested in taking part in the event should contact the Hong Kong Rugby League via email at info@hongkongrugbyleague.com

http://hongkongrugbyleague.com/

Archived