Playing season debate thread (many merged threads)

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More and more are speaking out about the switch, but it gets dismissed by the powers to be,

Not be long now before the NCL committee strongly recommend that it's members agree to Duel Reg

The main reason for the switch, better standard of game, with fewer players and on average the 1st team having to use 50 players a season to turn a side out, this clearly isn't the case.

Nothing a BBQ won't sort out thou

Common sense would suggest that the existing NWC OA (Winter League) Committee should attend the meeting with the clubs and district leagues if it goes ahead and put forward a proposal for a revised NWC Regional Sept-May competition.

If it is on the table, circulated and of interest to the clubs there is no reason why it cannot be implemented this year (Late Sept/ Early Oct) if the demand is there.

The NCL only have a licence to run a National competition, so the NWC OA (Winter League) Committee would be well within their remit to table such a proposal for the NWC region.

As an NCL coach I look forward to hearing from Trevor on how to improve player retention and attraction rates!

Having lost no fewer than 22 players since the summer switch and our second team fold because of this please hurry up with those words of wisdom!

We too have used around fifty players this Season in an attempt to fulfill our fixtures some of which are the wrong side of 45 (myself included).

The simple fact remains that there are to many other distractions in the summer and add to that players ever changing work commitments hence the numbers problem.

As an NCL coach I look forward to hearing from Trevor on how to improve player retention and attraction rates!

Having lost no fewer than 22 players since the summer switch and our second team fold because of this please hurry up with those words of wisdom!

We too have used around fifty players this Season in an attempt to fulfill our fixtures some of which are the wrong side of 45 (myself included).

The simple fact remains that there are to many other distractions in the summer and add to that players ever changing work commitments hence the numbers problem.

Could not agree more the ''numbers'' game coaches and clubs are playing every week to get teams out is madness.

We at Oulton played York last Thursday night and also again Saturday i speak on behalf of York too where i say there must have been around 16 different players on the field. I know we had 9 changes ourselves

Could not agree more the ''numbers'' game coaches and clubs are playing every week to get teams out is madness.

We at Oulton played York last Thursday night and also again Saturday i speak on behalf of York too where i say there must have been around 16 different players on the field. I know we had 9 changes ourselves

You will have always had a change over of players from week to week but not as drastic.

We entered the YM Merit League so not a commitment every week and had 30 players registered, we had to register 10 winter A team players who were returning for pre-season to fulfil our last fixture due to unavailability's

I am a little unsure on which I prefer, but I do know that summer has some serious issues and is really hurting some clubs.

What I don't think is healthy is the North Korean attitude of the management, trying to show the outside world all is rosy whilst strong clubs wither and die

I am a little unsure on which I prefer, but I do know that summer has some serious issues and is really hurting some clubs.

What I don't think is healthy is the North Korean attitude of the management, trying to show the outside world all is rosy whilst strong clubs wither and die

You have hit the nail on the head, if they won't admit there may be a problem they cannot solve it

the other thoughts that have crossed my mind are,

Have we now lost some core support and is there any assurances they would come back if we changed back to winter?

Would people become more annoyed with another change and walk away?

Would clubs move on mass again?

Would more upheaval and division further split an already divided game?

Plenty to think about, a move straight back to winter may not be the promised land some people crave for, in every club there may be 1 key person that loves summer and wont go back to winter

I'll be there to try my best regardless but the strength and resolve of the amateur game may be severely tested in the coming decade

Sorry Duke in the the next couple of years (not decade)

I have always said if there is another switch we need to all get our act together, I have thought about all your thoughts and cannot disagree with any of your statements, you make some great points do you think the RFL are proud of the state of the amateur game at the moment?

It should not be a winter / summer argument though should it , it's about options .

Options to play in the optimum season that suits individual clubs .

We have had the three year experiment and now is the time for open honest debate .

No big stick no idle threats lets look at what's best for the game not the egos of some administrators .

We need to provide options to all clubs, many clubs have struggled to put two teams out on a regular basis in the summer especially NCL clubs so for example why not keep the NCL in summer and allow the reserves to opt to play a more traditional season.

I'm sure we have enough talented administrators at open age to facilitate a four seasons approach which would benefit all clubs .

The ones that prefer summer stay in summer but lets not blindly restrict clubs from an alternative in a stubborn stance and condemn some clubs to the moth balls .

Now is the time to consolidate what we have and start to re build the game and learn from our mistakes and put egos to one side and begin to grow the sport using all the optimum playing months .

And before the usual suspects jump all over me yes this will need some management and will require some administrators to take off the blinkers and roll their sleeves up get their hands dirty .

Phil Johnson was ridiculed at Leigh East when he was chair when he wrote an honest assessment of what the downside to playing in summer was.

Be quite ironic if Leigh East are now taking his sentiments on board .

Nice to have you back Keith .

No, but then again I don't think they are terribly proud of the professional game either, or they shouldn't be. I've got a long time to go in the amateur game (only 27) and I've certainly noticed a decline in standards over the last 15 years and I don't think that's with rose tinted glasses. 

I believe the current NCL management have sold out to the RFL, and now BARLA is a shambles. The game has become extremely fragmented with various despots trying to grab there own little bit of power or trying to squeeze something for themselves out of the game. I feel there are far too many touring sides and the honour of representative rugby has totally lost its meaning,

What the future holds I don't know but a few more clubs will wobble first before any firm future is laid down, the results of a sham survey won't fool me or any other person heavily involved in the game, somewhere in the back of my mind I'm sure the RFL got some funding to align the amateur game with the professionals from Sport England. So I wonder if this is tied into the funding arrangement for the NCL, that said the central funding received by Championship 1 clubs is circa 70k each and that is comparable with the whole travel grant for the NCL - I know what I'd be doing with Oxford and South Wales amongst others!

Sorry Duke in the the next couple of years (not decade)

I have always said if there is another switch we need to all get our act together, I have thought about all your thoughts and cannot disagree with any of your statements, you make some great points do you think the RFL are proud of the state of the amateur game at the moment?

At the fear of repeating myself, what the RFL appears to completely ignore is the fact that without a THRIVING amateur rugby league set up, which includes hundreds of committed volunteers working their socks off to ensure the stars of the future fulfil their potential, there would be no Super League and a lot of highly paid professionals would be out of a job!!! Sadly BARLA has never been strong enough to protect our interests, when in fact the amateurs clubs should be the ones holding the power and demanding more support in whatever way that might be.

Mick there is a growing trend at leigh east that there are big problems with summer rugby

Great to see you back Keith, glad you are on the mend, I was down at Leigh East a few weeks ago and apparently only just missed you.

I know there is concern over the summer season at the club but they need to speak up as others are now doing if things are to change.

At the fear of repeating myself, what the RFL appears to completely ignore is the fact that without a THRIVING amateur rugby league set up, which includes hundreds of committed volunteers working their socks off to ensure the stars of the future fulfil their potential, there would be no Super League and a lot of highly paid professionals would be out of a job!!! Sadly BARLA has never been strong enough to protect our interests, when in fact the amateurs clubs should be the ones holding the power and demanding more support in whatever way that might be.

There are many who would agree with that Barbara and the "direction of travel" of where we go from here is solely in the amateur clubs hands if they want it to be, they just need to grasp the opportunity to now be heard and shape the future of the sport at grassroots level in the interests of their own survival, development and hopefully their long term progression.

There are many who forget that it is the clubs who democratically run the game, this I believe is down to the approach and mentality the RFL has instilled into some committees and administrators.

Perhaps it is now time to redress the balance and just remind the RFL that as a major stakeholder in the sport the amateur game is far more than just a minion that bows to their demands as the NGB, it is a group of pioneers that have over many many years made the sport what it is and has the strength, courage, capability and more than enough superb volunteers to stand on its own two feet and continue with or without them (RFL), but that would be their (RFL) choice, not that of the amateur game ;)

I have been told yet to be confirmed that Millom are struggling with the summer season Muzza did highlight this before his switch to the pro game .

ive heard that Millom A have pulled out of the B & D league due to lack of players, lots of the lads have other things to do during the summer, like the things stated in the original post, festivals, stag do's, holidays and so on.

millom is a small town and it is miles away from the next town so its not easy to get other players from out of town to come play for millom.

i was for the summer game but im not any more, get it back to winter when there is 40-50 lads with nowt else to do except play rugger!

Archived