Pennine League strcuture

6 teams playing 10 games isn't a league it's a tournament. Not a viable option at all.

I don't see the relevancy of your question as clubs voluntarily have mostly switched to summer. End of.

Bradford DH are a good example of switching early into a competition that wasn't the same in terms of numbers/competitiveness. Their experience certainly put us off switching until the majority were willing to move which we were glad when NCL took the leap along with majority of NW clubs

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bradford DH are a good example of switching early into a competition that wasn't the same in terms of numbers/competitiveness. Their experience certainly put us off switching until the majority were willing to move which we were glad when NCL took the leap along with majority of NW clubs

The top half of the league were about their standard but the bottom half was too flaky and clubs were calling off games and dropping out. They were right to switch back but only came I think 6th from 10 their last NL3 season. That was our last season for a while at that level as well but sadly for different reasons. Your point is very valid though and I expect most other clubs felt the same way

Bowes is the man with the statistics, cannot remember which amateur club was advertising the other day but it was over 100 years old, won't be many of them

Millom, Victoria Rangers and Underbank Rangers are the clubs that come to mind but I believe there are others. There aren't many old clubs in Lancashire as all the local district leagues bar Warrington collapsed by the 1970s

In my opinion the numbers would have declined had the game stayed in winter anyway. I believe the move to summer is the correct decision, to align the professional, amateur and junior games. It is much better for the children too.

What I do agree with though is that the whole thing needs pulling into line and organising and admitstrating properly, there needs to be a lot more investment and help and advice given to community clubs.

Out of interest how many teams have formed in summer and have only ever played summer and are still around would you say?

In the heartlands Manchester Rangers, Garswood Stags, Runcorn, Liverpool Lions, Mancunians, Southport Storm (this incarnation), Manchester Canals ideas, York Lokomotive, Leeds Akkies, Mirfield Stags, Huddersfield YMCA, Sheffield Hallam Eagles and Aspatria Hornets (this incarnation) are the ones I can think of. Scarborough Pirates and Chester Gladiators have mostly played summer.

Outside of the heartlands everyone except Durham Tigers, Derby City, Birmingham Bulldogs, Leicester Storm, St Ives Roosters, Hemel Stags, St Albans Centurions, Eastern Rhinos and Elmbridge Eagles. Though Peterlee Pumas briefly played in winter after starting as a summer club and Whitley Bay Barbarians were based on an earlier winter club

So London, South West, Scotland etc dont have leagues any more just tournaments, shall we call them Merit Tournaments

So you have no answers to the Question why has there not been a massive influx of new players, teams and clubs because of all the benefits of Summer Rugby

Let's rephrase the question. Would you enter Myton into a winter league that only had 10 fixtures if it were the right playing standard and pull out of the NCL to do so?

Let's rephrase the question. Would you enter Myton into a winter league that only had 10 fixtures if it were the right playing standard and pull out of the NCL to do so?

No because we ran NCL and 2 winter OA teams but have decided not enter the Merit to give the lads abreak also due to other teams not fulfilling fixtures last year, we have other things set for games

Millom, Victoria Rangers and Underbank Rangers are the clubs that come to mind but I believe there are others. There aren't many old clubs in Lancashire as all the local district leagues bar Warrington collapsed by the 1970s

Crosfields won the Warrington Works Cup in 1904 we say established circa 1901 as we're not 100% sure of the exact year. Rylands claim pre 1900 and I'm sure Crosfields are the same as they had to play against somebody

The clubs still here since 1975-76 in Lancashire (excluding Barrow, Oldham and Rochdale)

Pilkington Recs

Wigan St Patricks

Crosfields

Widnes St Maries

Halton Simms Cross

Leigh Miners Rangers

Latchford Albion

Blackbrook

Eccleston Lions

Woolston Rovers

Folly Lane

Rylands

Not many outside of Warrington and St Helens

Don't know when the St Helens and Widnes teams joined but St Patricks started open age (they are older as a youth club) in the 60s and Leigh Miners Welfare a little later. Many of the Warrington clubs are old. Sadly Bold Miners would have been on that list too

Wigan St Cuthberts won the Nwc Div 3 in 75 76 and have played in every season since pulling out of Ncl last Season but continuing in the Nw men's league now in Div 1 Nw mens league will celebrate 40 years of Open Age Rugby next year Don't think Ecclestone should be on your list Bowes

Bowes, Bentley aren't switching to summer, what is happening if you'll listen, Bentley GC have played out of Wheatley Hills RUFC for the past few years, Wheatley have players in their Ranks like Johnny Woodcock, Tom Buckenham and a few more who have played at pro level, Bentley are simply going to give these and a few other players a summer jolly.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

The clubs still here since 1975-76 in Lancashire (excluding Barrow, Oldham and Rochdale)

Pilkington Recs

Wigan St Patricks

Crosfields

Widnes St Maries

Halton Simms Cross

Leigh Miners Rangers

Latchford Albion

Blackbrook

Eccleston Lions

Woolston Rovers

Folly Lane

Rylands

Not many outside of Warrington and St Helens

Don't know when the St Helens and Widnes teams joined but St Patricks started open age (they are older as a youth club) in the 60s and Leigh Miners Welfare a little later. Many of the Warrington clubs are old. Sadly Bold Miners would have been on that list too

Teams used to change names as they moved their headquarters and many of us who have followed the amateur game has it unfolded can put new names to old one without looking in a book for a family tree..

Hull Premier division used to run with less than 10 teams years ago (Look in your book or phone a friend)

Wigan St Cuthberts won the Nwc Div 3 in 75 76 and have played in every season since pulling out of Ncl last Season but continuing in the Nw men's league now in Div 1 Nw mens league will celebrate 40 years of Open Age Rugby next year Don't think Ecclestone should be on your list Bowes

Eccleston Lions were originally United Glass Blowers

Sorry my mistake, I've rechecked and it was the 1974-75 season I was thinking of

Division 1 1/ Pilkingtons Recs 2/ Widnes St. Maries 3/ Halton Simms Cross 4/ Wigan St. Patricks 5/ Crosfields 6/ Leigh Miners Welfare 7/ Latchford Albion 8/ Blackbrook 9/ United Glass Blowers (UGB) 10/ Langworthy.

Division 2 1/ Woolston Rovers 2/ St. Helens B 3/ Tetleys 4/ Folly Lane 5/ Kirkby Rangers 6/ Richmonds Gas 7/ Thames Board Mills (TBM) 8/ Salford B

Division 3 1/ Bold Miners 2/ Salford Juniors 3/ Widnes B 4/ Rylands 5/ Leigh Miners Welfare A 6/ Widnes RNA 7/ ICI Thornton 8/ Blackbrook A 9/ Pilkingtons Recs A 10/ Fiat 11/ Church Street Labour Club.

Bowes, Bentley aren't switching to summer, what is happening if you'll listen, Bentley GC have played out of Wheatley Hills RUFC for the past few years, Wheatley have players in their Ranks like Johnny Woodcock, Tom Buckenham and a few more who have played at pro level, Bentley are simply going to give these and a few other players a summer jolly.

They're entering two summer teams (they only field one in winter) and one of the sides is in division 1 which isn't exactly the level for a jolly

Hull Premier division used to run with less than 10 teams years ago (Look in your book or phone a friend)

9 this season of which 2 pulled out early.

I think the Yorkshire (but not North West) part of the RLC was becoming proper divisions by the end, the east division the last season and some of the premier divisions in years before were up to 8 teams which isn't unheard of in winter. I still think clubs were put off from switching by the lack of a strong set up, until this year I think that still was a factor in Yorkshire to a lesser degree.

I don't think 10 games in a row May to July of which 7 or 8 will go ahead can fairly be compared to say a 14 game league plus four cups spread over seven months, even if more teams and games is preferable.

I can assure you Bentley arnt joining for a '' Summer Jolly '' as you put it. The side will be made up by the majority of the current winter players and the club as a whole is looking forward to the transition across.

• 3 weeks later...

This season got even more bizarre. After cancelling games so the Championship 1 division could split west and east the league then decided to re merge the divisions albeit with an even bigger backlog. Bentley are gone now (to summer) so ten teams remain

This season got even more bizarre. After cancelling games so the Championship 1 division could split west and east the league then decided to re merge the divisions albeit with an even bigger backlog. Bentley are gone now (to summer) so ten teams remain

The clubs argued to reform the division as for some their season would end immediately.

As some fixtures would roll into June, due to a possible lack of officials due to summer rugby commitments, clubs may finish playing at the end of April.

Any fixtures remaining would be classed as 30-0

Everyone knows the problems the Pennine League has had this season, if the NCL had not poached half of the Premier teams it would still have been a good league but which other leagues in the country could they have got the teams from? The Hull clubs would not want the travel and the Cumbria teams are the same, Any NWC teams entering in the bottom NCL division would be in Yorkshire every other week. Pennine teams are neutral for the travel and was good enough to enter. Next season will be a good season as teams are now interested in the Premier Division and all teams will have settled and decided where they want to play. I think myself a few more will drop out of the NCL (not saying the teams that have just gone in) and a few will return from the Yorkshire mens league. The Amateur game in itself as I keep saying is struggling, Youth players are not interested and dwindling fast, Open age players now have work commitments that years ago most players had the weekend off or just worked the Saturday morning but now Saturday and Sunday is a work day as well as the pressure of not getting injured.

At the moment only 6 under 18s teams playing consistently in Yorkshire, lots of under 18s playing Yorkshire Mens, Pennine, NCL and Hull it is not sustainable no wonder the OA is struggling, nearly all the summer teams players will have played winter, then summer, then winter its a merry go round with the same players

But do the RFL listen, NO!!

I agree they need to work out a way to get all players to pick a season and stick with it and of getting U18s back into that age group. Unfortunately lots of clubs would die or have to merge in the required shake up

Bowes, its not the season reducing the number of Under 18's playing its the pure lack of aspiration after 16 and the sooner the Pro Game sees it the sooner we can get the game back on track.

But again that argument will fall on deaf ears.

Archived