Koukash wants to buy NRL club (merged threads)

Salford Red Devils owner Dr Marwan Koukash has told Western Australia Today that he wants to buy one of “two or three” NRL clubs in time for the start of next season.

“If it needs to be done, I’d do it,” Koukash said.

“People only need to look at the level of investment I put in Salford to see that I would do that.

“I’ve been working on two or three fronts. Obviously not everything is in my hands, it’s in the hands of other people as well. I’m just trying to see if something can be finalised at the start of next season.

“I’ve had discussions with [NRL CEO] Dave Smith and [NRL's head of club services] Tony Crawford. That’s up to them to decide, it would be great to have the support.

“I hope they do [give the green light] because it’s a competition I admire. Since I started in rugby league in this part of the world I’ve always had ambitions to grow the game here to compete with the NRL. If you can’t beat them, you might as well join them.”

Financial strugglers Newcastle Knights are said to be the racehorse owner’s primary target, while Cronulla Sharks, Wests Tigers, Gold Coast Titans and St George-Illawarra Dragons are all crying out for a cash injection.

The post Koukash wants to buy NRL club by the start of next season appeared first on Rugby League news and Super League scores | Total Rugby League.

View the full article on TotalRL.com

Total Rugby League
www.totalrl.com

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BBC radio Manchester tweet this morning that 'If attendances don't improve he will review his investment in Salford'.

Wonder how much he has put in so far?

His comments of late do seem to smack of frustration firstly with the rfl, then his players and now the stay away fans .

Think he probably under estimated how long it takes to turn a rugby league club around.

It would be cool if he could save Cronulla and turn their fortunes around. They could use a bit of luck.

As has been said before Newcastle will surely be cautious given their recent experience. I didn't realise that either Wests or the Dragons were struggling financially. Gold Coast might be a risky one but maybe that would appeal to him.

It would be cool if he could save Cronulla and turn their fortunes around. They could use a bit of luck.

As has been said before Newcastle will surely be cautious given their recent experience. I didn't realise that either Wests or the Dragons were struggling financially. Gold Coast might be a risky one but maybe that would appeal to him.

I think he will quickly realise how much it costs to run an NRL club in Australia. They may get big grants but someone quoted around $20m a season for some clubs in terms of running costs.

methinks if he is successful he will dump salford 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

Is this just a knee jerk reaction to the attendence against London at the weekend ?

The average for this year  (after 10 games ) is 1800 better than last year.

Last year's average was 3125.

So I make that a 57% increase.

Not bad for a team that has performed so badly.

So take heart Good Doctor all is not lost.

Is this just a knee jerk reaction to the attendence against London at the weekend ?

The average for this year  (after 10 games ) is 1800 better than last year.

Last year's average was 3125.

So I make that a 57% increase.

Not bad for a team that has performed so badly.

So take heart Good Doctor all is not lost.

To be fair thats not a bad increase at all, are they doing alot of free tickets, or are these all paying customers?  if so fair bit of progress.

I haven't heard of free tickets being given. Yesterday's promo was buy a London ticket and get Widnes half price.

There have been a few £10 promos as well.

Doc has always said he wanted NRL club. I think his frustration is with the SMC rather than the Devils.

Cronulla will never match it with the big boys or pull big crowds because its a yuppy/Surfie small suburb that should have been merged or moved years ago.

They have been in trouble longer than I can remember.

Wests/Tigers and the Titans could go either way but more likely bad.

St George/Illawarra or Newcastle would be the best bet, strong League foundations and a fan base that could be engaged with a winning team and good management.

Newcastle good be really solid but I am not sure how the fans would take to the new owner even if it was to their benefit, they are pretty insular.

never mind you will see a big crowd next week with the viking hordes in town

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not happy with the way season ticket sales are going at Salford,less than 1,000 sold so far

Salford's website to buy them was hopeless up until a couple of days ago. Either the links just sent you to a PDF of the prices or on another occassion, I could buy a ticket but couldn't pick where I wanted to sit. Looks like they've sorted that out at least and they are at least two closer to the 1000 mark after this morning's shopping by me.

Sure that's hardly the sole reason but certainly doesn't help.

Salford's website to buy them was hopeless up until a couple of days ago. Either the links just sent you to a PDF of the prices or on another occassion, I could buy a ticket but couldn't pick where I wanted to sit. Looks like they've sorted that out at least and they are at least two closer to the 1000 mark after this morning's shopping by me.

I think this is another piece of evidence that MK may soon be gone - Sadly,and unless you are the type of RL fan who revels in the demise if a club that isn't yours I am sure this would be the end.But that's not even the most miserable part of the story that will only come when all the Doctor Haters think they were right. Hang on I think I can hear them coming ........

"Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,

Über alles in der Welt!"

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Cronulla will never match it with the big boys or pull big crowds because its a yuppy/Surfie small suburb that should have been merged or moved years ago.

They have been in trouble longer than I can remember.

I don't necessarily disagree with your off-field rationale (the rumours of moving them to Central Queensland last year were very interesting) but this is still a club that boasts the pedigree likes of Gallen, Lewis and Fifita (and now Ennis of course) in its front line.

Either it shows that NRL has the same ability to support small market sides as the US leagues or that there's a bubble about to burst somewhere.

They're certainly not a "small club" in the way that we understand that concept in the UK. Their acquisition and retention of players is pretty much as good as any in the league.

I see the Sharks going really well next season - top 6 or thereabouts.

I don't necessarily disagree with your off-field rationale (the rumours of moving them to Central Queensland last year were very interesting) but this is still a club that boasts the pedigree likes of Gallen, Lewis and Fifita (and now Ennis of course) in its front line.

Either it shows that NRL has the same ability to support small market sides as the US leagues or that there's a bubble about to burst somewhere.

They're certainly not a "small club" in the way that we understand that concept in the UK. Their acquisition and retention of players is pretty much as good as any in the league.

I see the Sharks going really well next season - top 6 or thereabouts.

Gallen has been discredited as a drugs cheat.

but... if he ditches Salford would it not prove all the so-called 'doctor haters' right? When he didn't get his own way after two(?) seasons, he spits the dummy...

but...if he doesn't ditch Salford, they have a decent season & the crowds continue to creep upwards, the 'doctor-haters' will still be there. I suspect they will be until Salford manage to challenge the top four for a few years or win something but even then I'm sure the naysayers will find something to ##### about.

So far he's been as good as his word with regards to recruitment and funding so not sure why there's any reason to think he's ready to bail on Salford any more so than any other club's chairman. If he does pick up an NRL team and ditches Salford, I'll be less than impressed but I'll worry about that if and when it happens.

Thanks for making that clear

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Archived