GAA on Sky

If you've never seen hurling before, I'd recommend watching the All-Ireland Final between Kilkenny and Tipperary tomorrow (Sky Sports 1, 3.30pm start).

Here are the reactions of some people on twitter that have watched it this year for the first time (worth a read!):

http://www.thescore.ie/11-british-based-tweeters-hurling-sky-sports-1505468-Jun2014/

https://storify.com/COBYRNE2/mental-carnage-nuts-crazy-british-twitteratti-lap?utm_source=embed&utm_medium=publisher&utm_campaign=embed-header

Kilkenny's Henry Shefflin is going for a record 10th title. He's viewed by many as the greatest player ever but is named to start on the bench.

Should be a great game.

I can watch a game of Gaelic football no problem. Hurling I have a real difficulty with. Nowt to do with the rules or anything. I just find it odd that the Irish needed to create another sport which is basically exactly like Gaelic football but with a stick and smaller ball. I think part of is the fact that I prefer sports where the ball is very visible at all times - one of the reasons I can't watch ice hockey either. 

What's really bizarre about those Tweets is that Ireland is a hop, skip and jump away and people have never heard of it. Is it possible to live in Britain and to have never even heard of Gaelic games? I guess so! 

Many people in England don't know about RL.

I don't really buy that, but I meant sports fans. Those people watching Hurling for the first time are sports fans clearly as they're going through the sports channels. The majority of any given nation are not sports fans, so I can excuse them. I don't believe that many people in England who are sports fans haven't heard of rugby. Whether they can tell the difference between league and union is one thing, but they know it exists. 

Many people in England don't know about RL.

Play a more phisical game and it might 

I can watch a game of Gaelic football no problem. Hurling I have a real difficulty with. Nowt to do with the rules or anything. I just find it odd that the Irish needed to create another sport which is basically exactly like Gaelic football but with a stick and smaller ball. I think part of is the fact that I prefer sports where the ball is very visible at all times - one of the reasons I can't watch ice hockey either. 

What's really bizarre about those Tweets is that Ireland is a hop, skip and jump away and people have never heard of it. Is it possible to live in Britain and to have never even heard of Gaelic games? I guess so! 

The GAA football code is soft, no tackling. It's looks like soccer from the late 1980's.

The GAA football code is soft, no tackling. It's looks like soccer from the late 1980's.

Soft?? Not sure how you came to that conclusion. Did you see the 2 semi finals last week? Were both very physical games.

Whatever about the players, the stewards are made of tough stuff! Great work to drive this beast off the field!!

The hurling final, did anyone watch it? Was a great game as expected. Tipp probably had the better chances to win it but looked gone with about 15 left.

Replay Sat 27th.

Soft?? Not sure how you came to that conclusion. Did you see the 2 semi finals last week? Were both very physical games.

Whatever about the players, the stewards are made of tough stuff! Great work to drive this beast off the field!!

The hurling final, did anyone watch it? Was a great game as expected. Tipp probably had the better chances to win it but looked gone with about 15 left.

Replay Sat 27th.

Is that Ireland's Strictly Come Dancing? I'm not trying to condone violence but that's just a lot of pushing and shoving, nobody even throws a punch!

Is that Ireland's Strictly Come Dancing? I'm not trying to condone violence but that's just a lot of pushing and shoving, nobody even throws a punch!

Pretty much! As bobbruce says it's like the NRL. Very rarely would you see any big fights at inter-county level.

• 2 weeks later...

All Ireland Football Final today, Donegal vs Kerry (Sky Sports 3, 3.30pm throw in).

This is only Donegal's 3rd final but will go in as favourites after beating everyone's fancied team Dublin the last time out.

Kerry were underdogs for their semi as well, beating Mayo after extra time in a replay.

Donegal's defensive system is very hard to break down and Kerry will need big games from James O'Donaghue and 'The Star' (6ft 6in) Kieran Donaghy in the full forward line.

All Ireland Football Final today, Donegal vs Kerry (Sky Sports 3, 3.30pm throw in).

This is only Donegal's 3rd final but will go in as favourites after beating everyone's fancied team Dublin the last time out.

Kerry were underdogs for their semi as well, beating Mayo after extra time in a replay.

Donegal's defensive system is very hard to break down and Kerry will need big games from James O'Donaghue and 'The Star' (6ft 6in) Kieran Donaghy in the full forward line.

I hope that the Kingdom of Kerry win this. Donegal's stifling, defensive game is not great to watch, albeit it is very effective. 

Just wait for Joe Brolly's reaction if the Herring Gutters win; there'll be no Ulster solidarity in his comments...

For the non GAA aficionados, Kerry have a cracking record in football and thirty six All Ireland Final wins.

Let's hope it's a good game for the 82000 spectators.

.............. and it's a Kilkenny victory in the final replay by 2-17 to 2-14.

What a hurling county they are.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/cats-prove-to-have-unmatched-appetite-for-major-honours-30621147.html

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/cody-vindicated-by-tweaks-to-rampant-hurling-machine-30621134.html

The replay game may not have been as enthralling as the first but it was still jolly good, as they say in Graiguenamanagh.

Can any GAA expert explain why Kilkenny don't play football at the highest level?

To put it simply, they aren't good enough.

Think their footballers are playing in the junior championship (a reserve grade).

A county's success at football/hurling will largely depend on the number of quality players that the club teams produce.

The majority of clubs in Kilkenny only play hurling. The dream for all the kids growing up in Kilkenny would be to win an All-Ireland Hurling title. Success breeds success and all that.

• 6 months later...

There are two clubs in Leeds

http://www.untoldstories.co.uk/image.do?id=12

http://hughoneills.intheteam.com/modules/page/page.aspx?pc=leeds_gaa_1

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Archived