The Summer Bash: Dewsbury v Batley

Flying 5

Oh come on BSJ.........

Do you really think we would get to the final?

Seriously though, I had a great weekend (despite the result and performance) and met some true RL fans, many of which we have arranged to see at up-coming games.

I have to say though that I think it would have been a very different event without the Bulls.

Their fans embraced the concept, and the atmosphere for their game was as good as I've seen at an RL match in a long time.

I am led to believe that many Bradford fans were issued with free weekend tickets by one of that club's sponsors, so perhaps that's why they turned up in good numbers.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Errm yes, as long as you mean RL - I don't support the other stuff.

I was unavailable due to a prior commitment. Is that OK with you Equaliser or should I send a note next time?

it would be preferable but sufficient notice should be ok.

I am led to believe that many Bradford fans were issued with free weekend tickets by one of that club's sponsors, so perhaps that's why they turned up in good numbers.

I'm sure tom Coates can fill us all in on Bradford free tickets

If they did, and that sponsor paid the going rate for the tickets, then I guess it is up to them how they spend their money.

As I said, it would have been a very different weekend without them.

I'm sure tom Coates can fill us all in on Bradford free tickets

Great idea.  maybe something we could think about for next year??

What is the cumulative home attendance (home fans only) for the Championship and how does this compare with the two day figure?

I know this is a simplistic measurement but everyone else so far seems to prefer purely subjective assessments.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

"Dalton Grant's finish at the end was world class - it was right up there with what you'd see in Super League and the NRL"

Dewsbury Rams won their four successive competitive Heavy Woollen Derby with a hard-fought 19-12 victory over Batley Bulldogs at the Summer Bash in Blackpool.

Read the match report + comments from head coach Glenn Morrison: http://www.dewsburyrams.co.uk/article/43423/grant-and-thackeray-seal-derby

Tom

Well I enjoyed it, even the HW derby. I thought we lacked ideas close to the line, but also Dewsburys defence was well set and won them the game as I thought Batley had the better of possession and territory. The two Dogs tries were well taken, with the Rams final try worthy of the wining score And we get one more crack at you this season ;)Heard you lot sulked abd snaped all the rock up.Did you spot the Amber ribbon rock we had made

Well I saw something brown and sticky on the pavement outside and I couldn't get too close because of the smell but it looked like it had Dewsbury written through the middle of it!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

What a wonderful time we had over the Summer Bash Weekend. I truly hope this event will continue in the future. I saw all 7 games my other half saw 5 games. 

The only down side of the weekend for us was a couple in their late 50's early 60's so called Batley supporters who were hell bent on just supplying as much verbal diarrhoea as possible, some of which was that disgusting I doubt if it ever was used down the coal mines in the day and the Female was the worst of them both. For me this behaviour should not be in our sport.

I thought the way the fixtures was arranged was good on the inaugural  event, I can understand the RFL were careful in their selection as to not have lopsided fixtures, I think they got away with it (But don't ask Mark Aston's opinion)

But I just wonder for future years if an open draw could also work and this to be carried out nearer the weekend. I would be interested in other peoples thoughts & Ideas. 

What a wonderful time we had over the Summer Bash Weekend. I truly hope this event will continue in the future. I saw all 7 games my other half saw 5 games. 

The only down side of the weekend for us was a couple in their late 50's early 60's so called Batley supporters who were hell bent on just supplying as much verbal diarrhoea as possible, some of which was that disgusting I doubt if it ever was used down the coal mines in the day and the Female was the worst of them both. For me this behaviour should not be in our sport.

I thought the way the fixtures was arranged was good on the inaugural  event, I can understand the RFL were careful in their selection as to not have lopsided fixtures, I think they got away with it (But don't ask Mark Aston's opinion)

But I just wonder for future years if an open draw could also work and this to be carried out nearer the weekend. I would be interested in other peoples thoughts & Ideas.

In hindsight I think Bradford v Leigh and Feb v Fax would have been better contests but would have probably meant that the 2 best supported clubs would have been playing on one day so on balance they got it right.

Well I saw something brown and sticky on the pavement outside and I couldn't get too close because of the smell but it looked like it had Dewsbury written through the middle of it!

What was that played 2 won 2.

I thought the way the fixtures was arranged was good on the inaugural event, I can understand the RFL were careful in their selection as to not have lopsided fixtures, I think they got away with it (But don't ask Mark Aston's opinion)

I think they pretty much got it right. Bulls v Leigh, fax v Fev might have been fairer but gate wise it worked out better the way it was.

Don't think open draw would work given the advantage all the winning teams get. Needs to be balanced. Guess they could wait until first few games had been played but as we saw this weekend the games were pretty well matched anyway.

Only thing I would suggest is that next year we don't play the cheaters!

I think they pretty much got it right. Bulls v Leigh, fax v Fev might have been fairer but gate wise it worked out better the way it was.

Don't think open draw would work given the advantage all the winning teams get. Needs to be balanced. Guess they could wait until first few games had been played but as we saw this weekend the games were pretty well matched anyway.

Only thing I would suggest is that next year we don't play the cheaters!

would be nice to get wakefield they might be sharing our ground by then an perhaps see Morrison coaching against us

Only thing I would suggest is that next year we don't play the cheaters!,

In terms of keeping the fans interest in the event year on year & allowing the attendances to increase would having similar fixtures become stale viewing, I know there will be some fixture changes due to promotion & relegation. E.G  Do we really want to be playing Batley on every occasion or Workington v Whitehaven.

Thanks for your comments NickD

The other option would be for a format where first plays second, third play fourth and so on, in effect making all the games "4 pointers". That said Magic Weekend keeps the "main rival" format and seems to be largely successful in terms of generating interest.

Still think they should consider moving the venue though. Blackpool is all right for the likes of piggy's mate - well to him it's just Wilton park with a couple of piers and a roller coaster - but for the more genteel supporter like BSJ, it's just a scratter ridden fleapit. How about York (ground allowing) or even Scarborough ? ;)

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Still think they should consider moving the venue though. Blackpool is all right for the likes of piggy's mate - well to him it's just Wilton park with a couple of piers and a roller coaster - but for the more genteel supporter like BSJ, it's just a scratter ridden fleapit. How about York (ground allowing) or even Scarborough ? ;)

I agree on the comments regarding Blackpool and it does seem to reinforce the RL sterotype but there arent many places that would suit a whole weekend..

York is a maybe, Scarborough not and cant see us moving to places such as Newcastle or Cardiff as with SL.

Try Blackpool again next year and if it doesnt pick up think about somewhere like York ...

I agree on the comments regarding Blackpool and it does seem to reinforce the RL sterotype but there arent many places that would suit a whole weekend..

York is a maybe, Scarborough not and cant see us moving to places such as Newcastle or Cardiff as with SL.

Try Blackpool again next year and if it doesnt pick up think about somewhere like York ...

I thought the venue of Bloomfield Road supported all the needs of the Summer Bash Weekend in terms of the Rugby & not what the town of Blackpool supplies in terms of other entertainment, I did not have the time to venture further than the ground as I took in all the games played.

I am sure there are a number of other venues that could cater for the needs of the Summer Bash in future years.

Though I doubt Scarborough is one of them as Featherstone removed 2 stands & installed them at Post Office Road.

I think in terms of any stadia considered it would need to have a capacity of 20,000 + Convenient parking facilities and good access. I think any large grounds such as the Etihad Stadium, St James Park or Cardiff would be overkill in terms of capacity and could destroy any potential atmosphere due to the lower crowds.

My opinion on the weekend.

Firstly, the game.

A typical Dewsbury and Batley derby really. Not much in it and not a great viewing spectacle. Batley should have won the game, but just didn't have any penetration on our line. A couple of skillful moments won us the game. The first being Pryce's offload for the first try and then Grant's great finish. Oh and Seymour's deliberate goal miss...

Thacks and Seymour need to stop throwing stupid passes. Yes, throw passes that can be made, but not ones such as Seymour's on Sunday. Just can't understand throwing a pass which is always going to be forward.

Hopefully this week's rest will have done us wonders. As we did look very tired. Will be a tough game on Sunday, as we never play as well as we should against a team lower in the table.

Now onto the Bash concept.

Good idea and I'm glad I attended it. I'm just not sure if it will he held again as I don't think the attendances can sustain it. Next year, even keeping the same teams in the league, the attendance would be lower I feel. If Leigh or Bradford go up the attendance would be terrible.

Holding it every 2 years may be better to stop the event becoming stale.

Now Blackpool. It's not for me and it never will be. What a hole. That was the worst part of the weekend by far for me. Spent most of my time in St. Anne's. Actually pubs there that serve good beer and aren't noisy and packed! A touch of class, which is me all over...

James

Rams Scoreboard/Facebook/Twitter/Occasional announcer/Teamsheets and much more!

Also, play in a classic rock and metal covers band www.justicerising.co.uk

Archived