Canadian team apply to join Championship 1 (merged threads)

Where are the Canadian RL getting that money from? Where are these backers? are we expecting that the same backers willing to do this would also be happy to finance a whole league? The RLIF could barely pay for a match ticket, their funding isnt going to be anything realistic.

The point i am making is that giving them a big game sounds nice, giving them a little money and a bit of help sounds nice. But it is exactly what RL always does, big words and big promises, a token effort and then the inevitable failure is proof positive that it was a stupid idea to try and that RL will never expand. Its what we always do.[/b]

When have the RLIF ever had a big tournament outside the big three and France? If anything, it's something they never do.

I have said what I think needs to happen, 5 years of the WCC, flood the place with development officers, coaches, coach's coaches, referees, get them touring, give them the Sky feed for free and spend 5 years building towards an SL place.

Isn't that incredibly similar to what I've just said, but with a tiny bit more meat on the bones (rather than my quick reply)?

You've gone from saying "giving them a big match sounds nice but it's a token effort" to saying that giving then a WCC is a solution.

Basically, despite your efforts to pick a hole in what I was saying, you're pretty much in agreeance with me. Some big events held over there to help build the game, rather than one semi pro club traveling half way around the world every other week.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ame="scotchy" post="3017141" timestamp="1413846761"]

Where are the Canadian RL getting that money from? Where are these backers? are we expecting that the same backers willing to do this would also be happy to finance a whole league? The RLIF could barely pay for a match ticket, their funding isnt going to be anything realistic.

The point i am making is that giving them a big game sounds nice, giving them a little money and a bit of help sounds nice. But it is exactly what RL always does, big words and big promises, a token effort and then the inevitable failure is proof positive that it was a stupid idea to try and that RL will never expand. Its what we always do.[/b]

When have the RLIF ever had a big tournament outside the big three and France? If anything, it's something they never do.

Isn't that incredibly similar to what I've just said, but with a tiny bit more meat on the bones (rather than my quick reply)?

You've gone from saying "giving them a big match sounds nice but it's a token effort" to saying that giving then a WCC is a solution.

Basically, despite your efforts to pick a hole in what I was saying, you're pretty much in agreeance with me. Some big events held over there to help build the game, rather than one semi pro club traveling half way around the world every other week.

We have held matches and comps in expansion areas and then barely followed up with much but token efforts. How many new development officers are we employing in Newcastle this year to follow up on the magic weekend? What have we done in Spain since Les Catalans played there? In Florida after leeds v south's?

And know, I don't think they are incredibly similar, I don't think give them the wcc then get the Canadian rl and rlif to 'develop the league' is even close in specifics, principle or outlook to what I put. Nor do I agree that we are basically in agreement that big events is the way to go rather than flying a semi pro team over every other week. Both would be pointless and stupid ideas if not part of a wide ranging long term plan with tangible aims and objectives

We have held matches and comps in expansion areas and then barely followed up with much but token efforts. How many new development officers are we employing in Newcastle this year to follow up on the magic weekend? What have we done in Spain since Les Catalans played there? In Florida after leeds v south's?

And know, I don't think they are incredibly similar, I don't think give them the wcc then get the Canadian rl and rlif to 'develop the league' is even close in specifics, principle or outlook to what I put. Nor do I agree that we are basically in agreement that big events is the way to go rather than flying a semi pro team over every other week. Both would be pointless and stupid ideas if not part of a wide ranging long term plan with tangible aims and objectives

The thing is that we are cutting back on development officers everywhere. Whilst it would be nice to flood Canada with development officers, first and foremost I'd rather we flooded the Midlands, the South West, London, Wales and the North East with the same. Unfortunately we aren't.

The thing is that we are cutting back on development officers everywhere. Whilst it would be nice to flood Canada with development officers, first and foremost I'd rather we flooded the Midlands, the South West, London, Wales and the North East with the same. Unfortunately we aren't.

200k a year is 1 million over 5 years. That's what the Canadians wanted to spend sponsoring a comp they could well only be in for 1 year. That money could be quite a few development officers for Toronto instead

200k a year is 1 million over 5 years. That's what the Canadians wanted to spend sponsoring a comp they could well only be in for 1 year. That money could be quite a few development officers for Toronto instead

So effectively we are not going to get any sponsorship money and there is no benefit to the existing KPC1 clubs in this plan. Worse since the competition will have a sponsor, they can't get any other sponsorship. Do you want to be the one to tell them?

So effectively we are not going to get any sponsorship money and there is no benefit to the existing KPC1 clubs in this plan. Worse since the competition will have a sponsor, they can't get any other sponsorship. Do you want to be the one to tell them?

When was the last time that competition has had a sponsor? SL barely managed to find one.

do people even read posts?Try again and read the post it was in response to, perhaps it will sink in.

To be fair, the post you replied to still didn't make it clear what it was in response to.

I did think that how I read your reply initially was out of whack with your other posts, so I apologise. It was mostly borne out of frustration with the several pages of people saying that clubs can't afford to travel over there

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

When was the last time that competition has had a sponsor? SL barely managed to find one.

This year

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

what I am proposing is that a Canadian team doesn't enter league 1 but uses the money to invest in RL in and around Toronto and builds towards an SL place. So league 1 would be pretty much unaffected.

To be fair, the post you replied to still didn't make it clear what it was in response to.

I did think that how I read your reply initially was out of whack with your other posts, so I apologise. It was mostly borne out of frustration with the several pages of people saying that clubs can't afford to travel over there

fair enough. I don't doubt what they have proposed is possible, I just question I'd it is the best plan

fair enough. I don't doubt what they have proposed is possible, I just question I'd it is the best plan

It may not be the best plan, but it may be that sponsors are more interested in this international idea than any other. You can't assume that the same funding will be available for development officers as for a team playing against teams from the birthplace of rugby league. Whether they're in the top flight or not, while not irrelevant, isn't that big a deal to the man on the streets of Toronto, who sees the advertisements for Toronto (Canada) playing against another team (not Canada) in a competition called League 1 (1 means the best, that must be the top league)

what I am proposing is that a Canadian team doesn't enter league 1 but uses the money to invest in RL in and around Toronto and builds towards an SL place. So league 1 would be pretty much unaffected.

I'm struggling to see how they would get sponsorship money for a league that they aren't in.

Because you are asking teams with limited resources to play competitive games at a massive distance. How do you think the players would feel about that? None too happy I'd imagine. So they don't want to play and the management has to force them because they have to honour their fixtures. Does that sound like a good scenario to you?

As a young man in the prime of life and health I personally would have really looked forward to an all expenses paid trip to a vibrant north American city to pay a game I loved, with pay to boot. I might even have taken vacation, changed my air ticket and stayed an extra few days. There are some in single women in Toronto and the food and drink ain't bad either.

As a young man in the prime of life and health I personally would have really looked forward to an all expenses paid trip to a vibrant north American city to pay a game I loved, with pay to boot. I might even have taken vacation, changed my air ticket and stayed an extra few days. There are some in single women in Toronto and the food and drink ain't bad either.

Do you imagine that everyone in the squad would feel the same way? How many are going to say "No thanks, can't do it"? The squad that went to Toronto would probably look rather different to the one that played games in England and yet competition points would be at stake.

They were  lot more progressive and daring in the Victorian era than the stick in the mud do nothings who are inhabiting this thread.

Nah. Remind me when the Victorians held a World Cup. Remind me of when the champions of Europe played the Australasian champions. Remind of who won the Victorian schools championship. Were Oxford University better than Cambridge in the 1890s?

We've made so much progress since then.

They were lot more progressive and daring in the Victorian era than the stick in the mud do nothings who are inhabiting this thread.

They weren't deranged extremists who kill off expansion clubs by forcing them into unsuitable leagues either

ame="scotchy" post="3017141" timestamp="1413846761"]

I get your point Mr Wells but I remember taking a Wigan v Warrington game to Milwaukee and the Australians playing an exhibition match in California both if which were well attended and spiked interest but after the teams left the USA and there was no local league or no further league team to watch, the interest waned and in the end it was a wasted exercise.

This proposal seems to me a Canadian effort to found a long lived presence in their country for RL. A one off team like this is doable. The problem will come if other Canadian teams want to replicate that and the British teams have to travel two or three times a season to Canada. If this was to happen, it would be time for them to quit the British league and form their own, although you could also say the same if we got ten French teams in SL.

Nah. Remind me when the Victorians held a World Cup. Remind me of when the champions of Europe played the Australasian champions. Remind of who won the Victorian schools championship. Were Oxford University better than Cambridge in the 1890s?

We've made so much progress since then.

This is thread drift but just to show you what I am talking about, in the Victorian era RL and early Edwardian era

1. Broke away from RU.

2. Had so many teams in membership RU was decimated

3. Had teams in Wales

4 Experimented with a two division system.

5 Hosted tours from NZ and Australia and ensured the game would be the dominant code in Australia by sending a touring team that went in direct opposition to a RU

tour from NZ and thrashed RU in the attendance wars.

6 Radically changed the game on the field with abolishing lineouts, reducing to 13, introducing the play the ball.

7. Signed antipodean players to increase the playing standards of the British league.

8. Baskerville was toying with the idea of playing in the USA and introducing the game their but that didn't happen but it was in the thinking.

I think the Victorian/Edwardian era was a  very radical and progressive era for the game. I am sure, even given the absence of air travel that they would have made something of such an approach from Canada.

It may not be the best plan, but it may be that sponsors are more interested in this international idea than any other. You can't assume that the same funding will be available for development officers as for a team playing against teams from the birthplace of rugby league. Whether they're in the top flight or not, while not irrelevant, isn't that big a deal to the man on the streets of Toronto, who sees the advertisements for Toronto (Canada) playing against another team (not Canada) in a competition called League 1 (1 means the best, that must be the top league)

whilst it is true we can't assume that the sponsors would be as interested, we have to remember that league 1 is a league with promotion and they have been clear that once in league 1 they want to get out of it.

I would also question whether the RL played in league 1 is the best form to sell them. But definition it is of a lower quality than SL and you don't see the premier league expanding to new areas by introducing Conference football first. Or the NBA selling the rights to the D league to introduce people to basketball.

RL needs to build a brand in Canada. Giving them a free SL feed will help do that but that means the Brand they build will be SL. That actually gives sponsors a far better impact.

One thing people haven't mentioned is SKY own the rights to league 1 but have no interest in filming or screening it. It would cost around £1m just for the outside broadcast of one teams games by a UK company

Canadians doing it would be a lot more. Would they even get much tv time and how are they going to do it?

They weren't deranged extremists who kill off expansion clubs by forcing them into unsuitable leagues either

I just don't think that would happen. In fact I am convinced that this venture would have the oxygen of publicity piped to our third tier in a way that we can currently only dream of and that  extra revenue via the turnstiles should flow into these clubs coffers as a result.

Swinton isn't quite Manchester and there is no way that a Canadian is going to know that it is near Manchester anyway. Gateshead isn't Newcastle and again a Canadian is unlikely to have heard of it. I'm not sure that Coventry is really seen as a big deal over there either.

N Americans hype the heck out of anything they are trying to sell however loose any connection is, It does not stop them making this loose connection apper joined at the hip so they would have no problem selling it as G'Heed being Newcastle's finest RL side & Swinton being the Man City of the Manchester RL clubs, facts simply don't come into the rational mind of a N American promoter.

Barrow would be Wordsworths/Beatrix Potters club of old etc ;)  Crazy to us, normal PR to them.

N Americans hype the heck out of anything they are trying to sell however loose any connection is, It does not stop them making this loose connection apper joined at the hip so they would have no problem selling it as G'Heed being Newcastle's finest RL side & Swinton being the Man City of the Manchester RL clubs, facts simply don't come into the rational mind of a N American promoter.

Barrow would be Wordsworths/Beatrix Potters club of old etc ;)  Crazy to us, normal PR to them.

Plus they will definitely have heard of London, Oxford and Wales.

Archived