Canadian team apply to join Championship 1 (merged threads)

Manchester to Toronto is 11 hours and 8 hours back (difference due prevailing winds). 

Super Rugby is a full-time professional league, Championship 1 players are employed on a game fee basis - they have jobs to go to.

You can't ask a builder, a teacher or a plumber to fly to Toronto, get used to the time difference, play a rugby game, travel back and then go to work the next day.

The finances aren't going to change the distances involved.

Every P/T player I have spoken too says they would LOVE to take a long w/e off work & enjoy a all expenses trip to play in Toronto.

It's not like people/players don't book long w/e's from work to go on stag do's or mate's birthdays around Europe not is it............Imagine taking a free one.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every P/T player I have spoken too says they would to take a long w/e off work & enjoy a all expenses trip to play in Toronto.

It's not like people/players don't book long w/e's from work to go on stag do's or mate's birthdays around Europe not is it............Imagine taking a free one.

If that is the case then fine but the players via their clubs should be consulted.

This is thread drift but just to show you what I am talking about, in the Victorian era RL and early Edwardian era

1. Broke away from RU.

2. Had so many teams in membership RU was decimated

3. Had teams in Wales

4 Experimented with a two division system.

5 Hosted tours from NZ and Australia and ensured the game would be the dominant code in Australia by sending a touring team that went in direct opposition to a RU

tour from NZ and thrashed RU in the attendance wars.

6 Radically changed the game on the field with abolishing lineouts, reducing to 13, introducing the play the ball.

7. Signed antipodean players to increase the playing standards of the British league.

8. Baskerville was toying with the idea of playing in the USA and introducing the game their but that didn't happen but it was in the thinking.

I think the Victorian/Edwardian era was a  very radical and progressive era for the game. I am sure, even given the absence of air travel that they would have made something of such an approach from Canada.

This is also a radical and progressive era. Pretty much all the achievements above also go on today plus many others that the Victorians / Edwardians would never have thought of. But none of that makes this a good idea.

I don't think anyone thinks that cutting Canada off is a good idea but "not cutting off Canada" doesn't mean any suggestion is a good one.

Every P/T player I have spoken too says they would to take a long w/e off work & enjoy a all expenses trip to play in Toronto.

but you can book your holidays when convenient for yourself, the business and your partners. The dates aren't set in stone and when they are it invariably means some miss out.

It's not just taking a long weekend off (if it can be done in a long weekend. 16 hrs flying, another 6-8 in an airport, another 4 travelling to and from airports, 32 hrs sleeping doesn't leave a lot of time, for training, preparing or recovery) it's about getting those specific days off, for those with Kids making sure their partner can get that time off as well.

Then what do we do about play - offs? Cup games? Postponements, it can get pretty cold in Cumbria and Toronto in February

So if another sponsor wanted to sponsor the competition in the UK they should be told to p1$$ off.

I'm not sure what you're getting at...

If there is a title sponsor, and someone else wants to come in as title sponsor then the original contract should be honoured, unless the second offer is significant enough to buy out of the contract. Same as now.

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Was informed by some one who went to the meeting with the chairman of champ @ champ1 clubs,the Canadians were very impressive with there presentation.the reason they can do this is they have a TV deal, and that is why Toulouse can not make it the need a TV deal to subsdise clubs on away games.

Was informed by some one who went to the meeting with the chairman of champ @ champ1 clubs,the Canadians were very impressive with there presentation.the reason they can do this is they have a TV deal, and that is why Toulouse can not make it the need a TV deal to subsdise clubs on away games.

How are Toulouse expected to get a TV deal for a competition they arent in? Though that would seem to fit the current RFL "logic".

Also, who is filming these league 1 games for this tv deal? Sky arent doing it so are the RFL that absolutely awful that a currently amateur Canadian organisation has managed to get a TV deal which pays hundreds of thousands to the clubs and will spend at least £1m a season filming and producing and broadcasting the league 1 competition when the RFL cant even give them away to a UK broadcaster, and can't even get Sky to broadcast the rights to the championship (bar the summer bash) a competition they already own the rights for?

Then what do we do about play - offs? Cup games? Postponements, it can get pretty cold in Cumbria and Toronto in February

Seeing as the Canadians appear to be desperate they may be willing to play a cancelled game back in UK during the 6 week period of their stay.

They may initially not enter challenge cup or may propose to play all games away unless faced with a SL club.

All ideas but I am sure can be thought through

So these Canadians give 200K to our RL organization, WIN

Meaning the RFL have more money for our own clubs or RLF infrastructure, WIN

They pay for all of our clubs travel expenses to play over there, WIN

Also they provide a block of tickets (free) if our clubs want to take a party over there & our clubs keep the tix sales, WIN

Canadian RL show these games on TV through their sponsor raising both the game & both countries clubs profile's, WIN

They provide our clubs with 2 extra games per season & the chance to profit by them, especially the extra home game, WIN

The game creates more players & spectators and grows its international profile, WIN

I am sure these fella's have submitted their plans with their eyes wide open, IMO It would be good for the sport & help grow another market, I am also sure they have gone to the trouble to work out a proper sound business plan to expand and grow the game in Canada to help the game spread and grow the market for extra players and supporters, Starting at the bottom league gives them the time to learn, adapt, then grow organically while still being competitive as theres always more interest if your competing/winning rather than getting walloped everyweek.

I hope it comes good.  

Has anyone said it's a title sponsor?

No, but that's not to say that the existing title sponsor would be okay about it even if it was. They sponsored a tournament outright, if we are now saying that this is to be shared then I'm sure they'll be unhappy about that.

No, but that's not to say that the existing title sponsor would be okay about it even if it was. They sponsored a tournament outright, if we are now saying that this is to be shared then I'm sure they'll be unhappy about that.

There more than one way to sponsor a tournament. Naming rights for the tournament is just one of them.

There more than one way to sponsor a tournament. Naming rights for the tournament is just one of them.

I'm aware of that but if the deal was negotiated as exclusive then it should be honoured. You can't sell another sponsorship even if it doesn't come with naming rights.

I'm aware of that but if the deal was negotiated as exclusive then it should be honoured. You can't sell another sponsorship even if it doesn't come with naming rights.

Do you have a source saying the current deal is exclusive? How much time is it even for?

It seems to me you've decided having that team is a bad idea and you're just clutching at straws trying to support your opinion with "evidence" blown out of proportion or based on all sort of assumptions, like the players not wanting the free vacation across the pond because in 21st century Britain they still practice serfdom and getting days off from work is unheard of.

Do you have a source saying the current deal is exclusive? How much time is it even for?

It seems to me you've decided having that team is a bad idea and you're just clutching at straws trying to support your opinion with "evidence" blown out of proportion or based on all sort of assumptions, like the players not wanting the free vacation across the pond because in 21st century Britain they still practice serfdom and getting days off from work is unheard of.

On the contrary I'm objecting to the "If they bring money to the table then they should be in" mentality. I never said that the sponsorship deal is exclusive, I said that having an existing sponsorship deal complicates things, you can't just assume we can have two sponsors.

The clubs should be consulted about the arrangements. If, as I suspect, a fair number of players are going to have problems then they'll voice their objections and that should be the end of it. I'm not assuming that the players won't stand for it, I'm saying that you can't assume that there will be no problems. It speaks volumes that no other sport has a similar arrangement.

If the clubs are all for it then so be it. I still think that it would be a bad mistake but it is their right to make that mistake.

Well I suggest you have to remember that short term many people would welcome Canada having a go through our leagues, I'm sure many RL players would just love to say they played professionally against Canada in Canada, and would jump at the chance to go there and play before a decent crowd in a competitive fixture. Many of the fans may plan a nice holiday to take in an away game in Canada? Something to remember in this short life.

But the long termists who have overly lofty ambitions for their clubs are always going to resent watching outsiders trying to step over and on their clubs heads to achieve the sort of progress they wish for their own club. Opinions are always going to be heavily coloured by personal ambition. 

• 4 months later...

the sources of my sources say that this is still very much on for 2016. Which I'm delighted about. There's the problem of the fact they wouldn't be playing every club at home (due to the way the fixtures are worked out) so some people are going to miss out on the all expenses paid jolly.

Keeping everything crossed it does come to pass.It'd be glorious madness & a huge story which even our media might struggle to deliberately ignore

Is is fascinating, crazy, exciting, ambitious and I have no idea if/how it will work out.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived