Conference League South

bowes

Unfortunately nearly all leagues signed up to the operational rules, you will find this happening more and more as you have non rugby minded people in charge at the RFL making decisions on the game, they will do what they want.

Ask the RFL where all these millions of £s is going to be spent on development, probably sponsoring the coach travel to make sure games go a head

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have to see how much membership fees are before I can have an opinion of the impact. £10 per club would be not a big deal, £10 per player would close a lot of clubs down.

As for the South West I think a lot of the problem is how the rugby league conference always emphasised sheer number of clubs as its primary aim. So we've ended up with 4 struggling Devon teams in a 8 game league with one much stronger Cornwall side rather than say a Devon club and a Cornwall club in a full season league also including say Bristol, Gloucestershire and 4 South Wales clubs

Club membership is £50 a season, this was fought against by a couple of South West Clubs in 2014 and deferred until 2015. Two clubs paid for 2014, the other three didn't. These fess have been carried over to the new season.

A one club per county team was proposed last summer with the four current Devon teams feeding a Devon United club which would have played Cornish Rebels in a four match league fixtured every three weeks or so throughout May, June and July with the winners going on to the Harry Jepson as South West Champs. The Devon teams would have carried on in a four team county league on the weekends when Devon United weren't playing in a merit tableish fashion.

It was suggested that Cornwall run a similar way with the current Cornish Rebels splitting into three or four teams at Union clubs which have expressed interest and have League friendly people in charge (Launceston, St.Austell, Redruth..) to run a Cornish league.

The Rebels and United would provide a higher level of matches for those willing to commit more fully to League whilst the local clubs would provide a place for those who want to give the game a try or want to play with less commitment. The Rebels/United players would still play for their local clubs to provide the backbone for each team and have a game almost every week throughout the summer as well as committing to training with the county team.

This would provide a suitable standard of match for differing standards of player in an area where there are few options to play. In the "heartlands" a player can move to a different club to match his ability, similarly, a club can move up or down the leagues to find there level of competition. In development areas such as Devon and Cornwall there are no other teams or levels of competition other than the possible exception of the County of Origin game (which didn't go ahead in 2014 but that is another story). As it is, it is difficult to persuade a club such as Exeter for example to travel to the far end of Cornwall knowing that they are most likely to return on the back of a thumping defeat. Devon United and Rebels (in the new plan) would give an option to the committed Rugby League player to play at a higher level whilst giving those of lesser ability or commitment the chance of a game in the county merit league without the disadvantage of long journeys and the ability to match teams if necessary.

This could be repeated in other development areas, possibly resulting in a full league of county clubs with county leagues beneath.

However, this idea was rejected pretty quickly in favour of the status quo in 2015 despite warnings of teams not travelling.

Joe Catcheside: There was a team in Corsham (Wiltshire Wyverns). They are no more.

There was a county championship. Hampshire won it twice. Wilts, Devon, Glos and Somerset took part, too; all had more than 1 team to draw on.

There was an RFL Development plan (I know... I wrote it). But there isn't a development plan now.......Except for one, overarching objective.... After losing 3/4 of its staff to redundancy, the RFL development department was told by the pro game that there will be no funds for development. Hence the RFL development department has to "make the game self sufficient"... In other words, the RFL has to make the amateur game pay for the continued existence of the development department.

The RFL now exists to make money off us to pay for itself. I was at the meetings where this strategy was first created.

This year we're going to be billed league registration. In a couple of years we'll be billed per player, and the entire sport in the SW will die.

The only strong club in the SW league is Cornish Rebels, and none of the teams in their league can even guarantee getting a team to travel to them. There is more chance of them having a champ 1 team in 5 years than having a SW division team, because the other SW teams are not up to a 2-3 hour each way trip. Strong teams like Vikings, Plymouth Titans & Glos Warriors - all who have had 2nd teams - are on their *****.

Startup teams - South Dorset Giants, Wyverns, Exmouth Saints, Somerset Warriors - have gone. The rest are hanging on; just. Been doing this, now, getting on 10 years down here; really, not sure why any more. But if there is a regional move to start our own admin free from RFL bills, then count me in.

Looks as though the coffee is starting to work.............

I think the RFL budgeted around the 600K a year mark to cover the overhead for Community Game services, of course the majority of this they want to recoup from the Community Game itself through registration/membership fees of clubs and players once they have all of the jigsaw in place ;)

I am with you Sir.............standalone.........you will be far better off!!!

It's just they're going to kill the game by having the clubs fund a development department, why even have a development department? Not to go all Monty Python but what have they ever done for us?

It's just they're going to kill the game by having the clubs fund a development department, why even have a development department? Not to go all Monty Python but what have they ever done for us?

If any club (or small set of nearby clubs) could raise money themselves without being subsidised, they'd be better off paying for their own personnel part-time than funding someone centrally. That's basically what the North Derbys Chargers are doing.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I think "development" at an adult level needs to be properly defined. In all the sports I've been involved with down the years, the best player development I've seen was Softball. They held development nights, where you'd do drills and play a short game at the end with the idea of bonding a team for the following season or finding you a team. They not only developed players but new teams every season and it was done entirely by volunteers.

• 2 months later...

First round results:

Gloucestershire Warriors 46-22 Oxford Cavaliers

Leicester Storm 28-16 Torfaen Tigers

Sheffield Hallam Eagles 24-12 Coventry Bears A

Raiders 34-6 Valley Cougars

All the new clubs seem to be managing well, the only sad news is Bristol have had to call off their first two games and appear to be struggling (I believe Gloucestershire Warriors stepping up is a factor)

Really good game at Sheffield today.

Two very good teams, the Bears bombed 3 tries in the second half and had a perfectly good try disallowed as " held up" even the nearest Sheffield coach couldn't believe it wasn't given.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

• 3 weeks later...

All the new clubs seem to be managing well, the only sad news is Bristol have had to call off their first two games and appear to be struggling (I believe Gloucestershire Warriors stepping up is a factor)

Certainly the decision by the RFL to allow the Warriors in - despite our warnings that it would have damaging effects on ourselves and potentially other clubs lower down the pyramid - has not helped. There are some other issues, too, such as losing access to junior players we've developed (once they're into the SGS RL Academy/All Golds pathway, they tend not to return, with a few exceptions, and many are being lost to the game completely). We told the RFL of the issues in the region and how we would be effected, and they ignored us… now it's all coming true. The important thing is to get through the season and rebuild.

On the plus side, our game with Oxford that wasn't played a couple of weeks back looks like being rescheduled (phew) and we'll make our bow this weekend against Valley Cougars at home. 

Bristol Sonics Rugby League

2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions

2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists

2008 RLC Team Of The Year

2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions

www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

Well, shows how much I know. Sadly, the Sonics have taken the incredibly tough decision to withdraw from this season's Conference League South competition. There's a statement explaining the decision and our future plans on our website. To cut a long story short, we'll continue in the West of England League and double our efforts to grow our junior development programme. We remain the only club in the West with juniors (and probably will be for some time, sadly)

www.bristolsonics.com

Good luck guys. That must have been a tough decision.

It was - the most difficult we've had to make so far, I think. At the end of the day, the most important thing is that we exist to give people in the city a chance to play Rugby League. We can still do that at a lower level (for the time being - we'd still like to return to CLS at some point when we're stronger again), and will continue to develop our junior programme. That's the shining light in all of this - strengthen this further and we'll have more "home grown" players. Sadly other clubs in the region don't prioritise this side of things, but hopefully they will in future.

www.bristolsonics.com

Good luck in the future with this. Unfortunately I think you had to do it as it's never fair for players to have to play at too high a level, but still a shame after all the effort you've put in at juniors. I think another issue is there's a big gap between west of England and CLS whereas there used to be midlands premier as a step up for you

That's the shining light in all of this - strengthen this further and we'll have more "home grown" players. Sadly other clubs in the region don't prioritise this side of things, but hopefully they will in future.

I wouldn't bank on it. You get no thanks for doing it and your junior players end up playing for another club that prioritises open age.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

TBH, if you're in senior RL, you have to say " juniors", it doesn't work.  Not saying there shouldn't be a junior game but it should be seperate.  That's not necessarily a view I came to lightly.

TBH, if you're in senior RL, you have to say "###### juniors", it doesn't work. Not saying there shouldn't be a junior game but it should be seperate. That's not necessarily a view I came to lightly.

Depends where you are in the country. The North East and Essex seem to make juniors work. Other expansion areas it doesn't seem to. I still think the midlands could make a go at it if done properly. Things don't work as well in London as adult clubs recruit Aussies who clearly won't have played juniors but also there aren't clear gaps between where one club recruits from and another. Somewhere with separate towns has more of a use for junior development

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at some of the results from yesterday, this could be building into a very competitive division this year. 

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor."

Archived