The man is a convicted rapist, being an ex-offender is not illegal.  Seemingly the parole board have seen him as safe to release, what's the point if his punishment is to continue in perpetuity?  I accept that his victim will have to carry the impact of his crime for life, but that's not the issue being addressed. 

Sheffield United have not re-signed him.  One could even argue that they've been brave to allow him to start his re-integration into normal life and society with them, given the inevitable bad publicity that it was bound to attract.  

They won't re-sign him, he's toxic for their business as you say Frank.  I don't see any way for them to save face either.

Anyway, there's an interesting list here.

correct, although it is the associated issues that are the problem.

correct, the issue being their willingness to allow him to train with them

correct also.

presumably you have cancelled your bank account and trade with wampum.

Edit: it's an interesting list. Sticking with the soccer 

the betting scandal guys from the sixties never played again

Peter Storey the sex with a minor guy as far as I know now has no connection with football

some, quite a few  of the players committed their offences after their retirement.

The main groups seem to consist of violent offences and serious motoring offences.

I think motoring offences such as drink driving and causing death and injury through a driving offence aren't punished nearly severely enough. 

There is a strong case for people within sport who have been involved in criminal activity putting that to good use in a properly conducted way. As you know I have been involved myself in such schemes.

So why is Evans different?

He doesn't recognise that what he did was wrong. His victim continues to suffer, yet it seems as no concern to him-his main concern being self justification and having upset his girlfriend.

He has committed a serious sexual offence. This puts him on the sexual offenders register. This precludes him from having contact with young people in any anti crime and behaviour schemes that his erstwhile club and the sport in general might want to involve him in should he be willing, which anyway(qv) is highly unlikely.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He doesn't recognise that what he did was wrong. His victim continues to suffer, yet it seems as no concern to him-his main concern being self justification and having upset his girlfriend.

He has committed a serious sexual offence. This puts him on the sexual offenders register. This precludes him from having contact with young people in any anti crime and behaviour schemes that his erstwhile club and the sport in general might want to involve him in should he be willing, which anyway(qv) is highly unlikely.

He was convicted of a serious sexual offense. So everyone convicted of any crime is obviously guilty.

If he is innocent of the crime - and I'm not saying he is - why would he recognise what he allegedly did was wrong?

He was convicted of a serious sexual offense. So everyone convicted of any crime is obviously guilty.

If he is innocent of the crime - and I'm not saying he is - why would he recognise what he allegedly did was wrong?

no reason

the point is that it makes any talk of 'rehabilitation irrelevant'. If the  guy doesn't acknowledge any wrong doing, or if he did no wrong, then rehabilitate is meaningless. 

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

This is just beneath contempt and I trust that the culprits are identified and dealt with.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2834877/Sick-trolls-threaten-rape-Jessica-Ennis-Hill-athlete-told-Sheffield-United-stand-signs-convicted-rapist-Ched-Evans.html

Regarding Evans rehabilitation, it seems to me that the guy and the club have acted with the level of good sense that we often  associate with soccer players and clubs.

How much better if he'd said something like this:   He believes he is not guilty, and is considering how he may appeal - despite  not been granted leave to appeal. However, he recognises the  unique position he is in to be a role model for young people and  given the seriousness of rape he is going to work with the rape charities etc to highlight the issues , problems, consequences etc. He can do this as he no doubt has the money, has been through the system and can warn others how to behave in similar circumstances. OK, so it might not be easy to set up and sort out but at least if he TRIED!!!

This is a difficult matter, he could quite easily find a way to make a public statement. He can be contrite and advise young men to be careful about ensuring there is consent other wise you can find yourself on the end of a  5 year term. He could have made a public apology for his friends naming the young woman and therefore making her life so difficult. Yet he hasn't and his continually played the victim.

I believe a convicted criminal has the right to earn a living but depending on the crime there will restrictions.

There seems to be a rise in extreme misogyny on social media. The abuse that prominent women got for backing the call to put Jane Austin on the £5 note and the whole gamergate episode.

Fides invicta triumphat

There seems to be a rise in extreme misogyny on social media. The abuse that prominent women got for backing the call to put Jane Austin on the £5 note and the whole gamergate episode.

I don't buy that it's only women that get shouted down.  For example, Lineker put out a rather bland statement supporting Ennis for taking a stand.  He got a ton of abuse back, some of it going beyond 'bantz'.  Apparently the lad in that viral thing from Target a few weeks ago is now getting death threats.  That said, there is a certain kind of grim, misanthropic, misogynistic keyboard warrior that's drawn like a moth to a flame whenever a woman makes a stand.

Gamergate is weird though.  Just weird.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I don't buy that it's only women that get shouted down. For example, Lineker put out a rather bland statement supporting Ennis for taking a stand. He got a ton of abuse back, some of it going beyond 'bantz'. Apparently the lad in that viral thing from Target a few weeks ago is now getting death threats. That said, there is a certain kind of grim, misanthropic, misogynistic keyboard warrior that's drawn like a moth to a flame whenever a woman makes a stand.

Gamergate is weird though. Just weird.

I remember when the gamergate hashtag was created to highlight the website gamespot's treatment of a journalist who gave their sponsor a negative review. Now it seems to have been hijacked by scumbags.

Fides invicta triumphat

The bottom half of the internet is 90% emotionally-retarded mouth-breathers, with only the occasional hint of intelligence or understanding shining through.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I don't buy that it's only women that get shouted down. For example, Lineker put out a rather bland statement supporting Ennis for taking a stand. He got a ton of abuse back, some of it going beyond 'bantz'. Apparently the lad in that viral thing from Target a few weeks ago is now getting death threats. That said, there is a certain kind of grim, misanthropic, misogynistic keyboard warrior that's drawn like a moth to a flame whenever a woman makes a stand.

Gamergate is weird though. Just weird.

Very weird. I had to google it mind.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

Think this is the key.he obviously does'nt think he's guilty no matter what the court said.

Would you show remorse or hold your hands up and apologise if you knew(in his mind)your not guilty.

As for him resuming his job,football is his job,he's going to get constant stick from the terraces,do people want him to sweep streets

Whilst accused of a much lesser offence, interesting to see Wigan's MP weighing in with her opinion on a chap who I don't even believe to have been interviewed for the position yet, let alone offered it.

As for Evans, can't believe Sheffield United haven't steered well clear to be honest, was never going to go well for them regardless of the rights and wrongs of the issue. 

Obviously,  the people who are weighing in against Ched Evans won't be going to any Sheff United games if they sign Ched Evans. By and large, they wouldn't have been going anyway.

Go on, Sheffield United, give him a break.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Archived