Wish list

Terry Mac

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was at the parents over Xmas and my dad was saying that anyone from overseas has to be guaranteed a minimum basic wage of £15k p.a before the Visa will be considered.

£15k isn't a huge amount for an overseas player to live on (but there could be extra match fees and bonuses) but is a fair bit of cash for a club with limited resources to fund. Anyone know if this is true or not?

Don't know the exact ins and outs of Visas but you do have to be earning £x thousands in order to qualify along with all the other criteria

Was at the parents over Xmas and my dad was saying that anyone from overseas has to be guaranteed a minimum basic wage of £15k p.a before the Visa will be considered.

£15k isn't a huge amount for an overseas player to live on (but there could be extra match fees and bonuses) but is a fair bit of cash for a club with limited resources to fund. Anyone know if this is true or not?

Nearly correct Shaun.   Under current regulations the financial package for SL has to be enough to place the player in SL club's top 20 highest paid players and for Championship there is a minimum figure of £17,500 and for League 1 the figure is £10,000.    These are the guaranteed minimum salaries.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

I hope not . We need that sorting out for this year , with the task we face . He's our captain and leader and focus of the team , and we need him there , especially after recommitting to the cause long term . Hopefully we have fewer issues off field this year , perfect world I know , but here's hoping

Matty was our captain last season.

Also factor in flight(s) and accommodation and it's a costly process signing an overseas player.

Also factor in flight(s) and accommodation and it's a costly process signing an overseas player.

but money you would think we have. 2 big sponsorships, speedway, wc money which looking at our squad last year we can't have spent. I would think the club is in a pretty good financial position. Plus overseas players won't cost an awful lot more than say a Yorkshire man or an ex super league player. I bet fifita isn't on much more than thacks was. Plus the club will find the players work before they come over to help them with the transition. Players come over to prove themselves and put themselves in the window for super league clubs.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

but money you would think we have. 2 big sponsorships, speedway, wc money which looking at our squad last year we can't have spent. I would think the club is in a pretty good financial position. Plus overseas players won't cost an awful lot more than say a Yorkshire man or an ex super league player. I bet fifita isn't on much more than thacks was. Plus the club will find the players work before they come over to help them with the transition. Players come over to prove themselves and put themselves in the window for super league clubs.

It is highly unlikely that the club will sort out a job for an overseas player other than one of the development jobs as that would require a different type of visa etc

It is highly unlikely that the club will sort out a job for an overseas player other than one of the development jobs as that would require a different type of visa etc

so the club don't send emails around local businesses/tradesmen looking for work for incoming players???? I'm afraid your wrong if you don't think they do.

I don't think the speedway makes too much money to be honest. The sponsorship money will be spread out over a few seasons and I'd be surprised if there's much WC money left. The last income we had for a game would've been the back end of the summer, and yet the club will still have to pay staff wages through those months with no game.

I don't think the speedway makes too much money to be honest. The sponsorship money will be spread out over a few seasons and I'd be surprised if there's much WC money left. The last income we had for a game would've been the back end of the summer, and yet the club will still have to pay staff wages through those months with no game.

it looks like we'll have 3 Aussies in our squad next year, so we must have a fair bit of cash floating about. As I say getting an Aussie over wont be much more expensive than getting a traveller in.

so the club don't send emails around local businesses/tradesmen looking for work for incoming players???? I'm afraid your wrong if you don't think they do.

100% true

I have seen the emails asking just that. What I don't know is what their Visa situation is. Might be EU qualified and just need a job?

I heard a few months ago that a player currently at Dewsbury wanted 20k guaranteed money to sign for Town last season. If Fifita's on that and he gets a job on top i know which one of the two i'd pick

exactly. Just because there overseas dosent mean there costing the earth. The png lads at Gateshead are on next to nothing, they just wanted the chance to come over and play.

I heard a few months ago that a player currently at Dewsbury wanted 20k guaranteed money to sign for Town last season. If Fifita's on that and he gets a job on top i know which one of the two i'd pick

there was a lad at haven last season who supposedly wanted 40k to stay this season hence why he's no longer here

exactly. Just because there overseas dosent mean there costing the earth. The png lads at Gateshead are on next to nothing, they just wanted the chance to come over and play.

Surely it depends on the quality of the overseas player as to how much they're gonna cost.

I'm a great believer in "you get what you pay for," and it seems Town are now shopping in Marks and Sparks rather than Lidl.

Surely it depends on the quality of the overseas player as to how much they're gonna cost.

I'm a great believer in "you get what you pay for," and it seems Town are now shopping in Marks and Sparks rather than Lidl.

haha I like that

I thought stack started the season as captain ? Hopefully he won't miss any games due to work this year .

Rossi did sign a contract only a short while ago so that's a strange one ... Even with these 3 signings that are coming in I still feel we need a couple of squad players ....

I thought stack started the season as captain ? Hopefully he won't miss any games due to work this year .

Rossi did sign a contract only a short while ago so that's a strange one ... Even with these 3 signings that are coming in I still feel we need a couple of squad players ....

Stack and Matty were joint captains weren't they?

You see I don't see that - there's been instances in the past 2 years with both wigan and widnes where we have been left short of numbers .. IE Johnno playing / people on the bench when injured etc .. And there would have been players who could have came on DR in order to fill our team but they weren't offered .. We will only get who wigan want us to get ... Simple as ... I'd rather not rely on them at all.

Archived